Cameron Schwab In McNamee Out?

71 Molloy

Very able bloke is C Schwab and has always had a soft spot for Melbourne.

Knows footy culture - understands what makes clubs tick.

That salary cap thing - well actually I think that was inherited from a predecessor who shall not be named but was part of the Ridley regime (Well I see now Welchy has done it and he is right with his IDs) . Anyway - it was the way things were done at the time. And we'd have got away with it had a certain president not decided to big note himself, but let's not get sidetracked there again since Welchy has covered that too.

Schwab would be a terrific mentor for McNamee who I think is very able (he has successfully run an international sporting event for years for goodness sake) but who does not have a great football background.

Bring it on.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fatty
I still smell a rat.

Agree BB59.

I think Sheahan is setting this up for a follow-up article when/if the news breaks. I have no issue with Schwab coming on board to assist. There’s nothing to be lost in the exercise and we need all the help we can get.

But Sheahan links so many suppositions together as to what is going on that it is wretched. WTF is a “close observer”? Even his final comment “Neither Stynes nor McNamee could be reached last night.” had me cringing.

He may as well have written:

I am completely fabricating this story, but Cameron Schwab is returning to the club because once again the MFC have fecked it up.

(I had to look up “besmerching”. Its besmirching by the way. ;) ).

Even his final comment “Neither Stynes nor McNamee could be reached last night.” had me cringing.

Maybe they were just on a plane coming back from Freo on Monday afternoon Perth time/evening Melbourne time.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...00-2722,00.html

The problem I see is that Mcnamee a non football person was backed by Gardner a non football person, Gardner is gone so will Mcnamee have the boards support. Unfortunately at the end of the day Melbourne is a football club not a tennis org or golf org so football experience is looked upon as a major asset something Mcnamee did not have. Had we not been in a such a financial mess Gardiner and Harris would still be around so this thread would not exist.

It was being suggested last night, though, that the AFL may hire Schwab and install him at Melbourne as part of a league-backed rescue effort for its most troubled club, with a position at headquarters on offer beyond that.

Interesting.

Deals with the financial issues surrounding hiring a consultant, and paying our McNamee.

The rat slowly peeks out from his hidey hole !! Something still not quite kosher about all this.

Still a lot of 'suggeston' & 'conjecture' without much fact. If truth is the first casualty of war, then transparency must be a close second. <_<

This club is slowing sinking back into the abyss of cloaks and daggers !! Backroom deals amid huge promises...its deja vu all over again !! :huh::rolleyes:

The rat slowly peeks out from his hidey hole !! Something still not quite kosher about all this.

Still a lot of 'suggeston' & 'conjecture' without much fact. If truth is the first casualty of war, then transparency must be a close second. <_<

This club is slowing sinking back into the abyss of cloaks and daggers !! Backroom deals amid huge promises...its deja vu all over again !! :huh::rolleyes:

Assuming the Club is considering replacing McNamee, or bringing in Schwab in some capacity, it's understandable that this isn't conducted via Members emails.

I fail to see why you're blaming the Club for conjecture in the media.

It's unsurprising that we're not privy to the meetings of Stynes and co., for instance.

IIRC you took the same sort of tack when Stynes was looking to become President - these aren't things often played out in public.

I fail to see why you're blaming the Club for conjecture in the media.

It's unsurprising that we're not privy to the meetings of Stynes and co., for instance.

I would draw attention to the sloppiness of reporting for its contribution but it may quite be that what they are alluding to is some little scheme hatched by the MFC uncumbents . On one hand we have a "legend" coming aboard promising to save this club..and by golly I hope hel heps to. We also have this with No apparent plan really...just an ambit claim to reduce debt as though by some amazing magic none of knew that was the problem.

Does Jimmy have plans to replace the CEO ? Is this to be another fait accompli.. for as a MFC member Im getting a little tired of this modus opperandi !! Are there plans afoot by some sculduggery to increase our On-debt incurred by continual 'realeasing of personnel ??

Im beginnig to sense that maybe Sheahan's motive was to force something into the open.

Does Jimmy have plans to replace the CEO ? Is this to be another fait accompli.. for as a MFC member Im getting a little tired of this modus opperandi !! Are there plans afoot by some sculduggery to increase our On-debt incurred by continual 'realeasing of personnel ??

He might have plans to replace the CEO or bring Schwab in as a consultant, as suggested. He might not.

How would you like the Club to go about decision-making of this nature?

Maybe I'm alone, but I don't want a running commentary of discussion on the tenure of staff played out in members emails or constant press releases.

Im beginnig to sense that maybe Sheahan's motive was to force something into the open.

...or perhaps his motive to write a story on the most newsworthy topic he could, since that's his job ;)

Are there plans afoot by some sculduggery to increase our On-debt incurred by continual 'realeasing of personnel ??

Let me get this straight - are you seriously suggesting that there may be plans to weaken the state of the Club's finances by firing staff and paying out their contract with the purpose not of improving our HR, but to increase debt?

The last paragraph of the Australian article is interesting. That would be good for MFC if the AFL employ Schwab and assign him to the MFC. It's amazing how momentum starts one hear say story flows into a bigger story, by the end of the week The Age will have a page story about this and Jimmy will give his full support to Macca at his Chairmans address on Sunday.

The last paragraph of the Australian article is interesting. That would be good for MFC if the AFL employ Schwab and assign him to the MFC. It's amazing how momentum starts one hear say story flows into a bigger story, by the end of the week The Age will have a page story about this and Jimmy will give his full support to Macca at his Chairmans address on Sunday.

I doubt it. Reports are that McNamee could resign as early as today. His reported pay out would $115,000, which is 25% of his salary.

I wouldn't be surprised if the AFL had some input into all of this.

Becoming a bit worried that Jimmy is bring his mates on board. There is a click at Melbourne that is beginning to develop. Watch out for some more of his mates to get a job!

if it's true that Connolly was doing a lot of the work that McNamee should have been then it's not a surprise they've reviewed his position...

McNamee was always going to be a risk... he'd previously been CEO of the Australian Open and assigned to promote some of the major events for Golf Australia... both gigs would be much easier than being CEO of a football club, an environment where fierce competition exists, and the job is demanding all year round...

if it's true that Connolly was doing a lot of the work that McNamee should have been then it's not a surprise they've reviewed his position...

McNamee was always going to be a risk... he'd previously been CEO of the Australian Open and assigned to promote some of the major events for Golf Australia... both gigs would be much easier than being CEO of a football club, an environment where fierce competition exists, and the job is demanding all year round...

I think it's important that the club details exactly why McNamee has been given the flick. In this instance, the stock standard press conference spiel of "it's was a mutual decision" won't wash with me.

I think it's important that the club details exactly why McNamee has been given the flick. In this instance, the stock standard press conference spiel of "it's was a mutual decision" won't wash with me.

I completely agree, from everything i've seen so far i've thought he's done a good job. The point of getting him here was that he would grow the club through his unorthodox methods and ideas. It's seems really strange that we'd get rid of him so quickly, especially with the money we'll have to pay him out with.

One things for sure though, Melbourne Football Club's CEO=toughest gig in spots administration.

I completely agree, from everything i've seen so far i've thought he's done a good job. The point of getting him here was that he would grow the club through his unorthodox methods and ideas. It's seems really strange that we'd get rid of him so quickly, especially with the money we'll have to pay him out with.

One things for sure though, Melbourne Football Club's CEO=toughest gig in spots administration.

I dont usually post too often , I always read the daily posts though , I just want to say I feel really flat by whats going on. In the last couple months I have been really postive in the way the club has been going I felt the winds of change have been great and the club was finally on the right track. Its been hard being a Melbourne lad living here in Adelaide trying to the fly the flag although with the local teams struggling at the moment it has been easier.

I hope the powers that be get the next CEO decision correct because I dont think there will be another chance for us. I like you do think the club really needs to come out with some sort of statement to let us know whats going on the more this drags the more the paper are going to rip into us. I keep the faith that its always darkest before the bright dawn but we need some postive action now.

It's a bold move by the club and I give them full support. MaNamee was a risk who was employed by the outgoing president. Jim is well with in his rights to employ the people he believes are best served to help the club. If the AFL are going to assist with Schwab then all the better. The club is not settling for mediocrity anymore, this is a good decision. I am not criticising McNamee but he's not a football person and we need some0one who is and can work closely with the AFL. Schwab is blikely to provide both these things. Although the turbulence and bad publicity is not helping it's inevitable as we wrestle with our many Demons (excuse the pun) Let's hope the transition is done quickly and we can get on with DD month.

hmmm not too sure what to think of this. Didnt give him much of a go.....

Is Schwab a definite replacement or is Fox a chance?

I really dont mind who gets the job cause i know it will be a person that all is involved will want. Thats where i think PG made the mistake, he made the appointment of Pmac even against a number of people wanting a different candidate.

All i want is things to be done sooner than later and after that a bit of........stability..!!

I know that the MFC saw consultants for this appointment, and a certain ex Hawks pres told them they'd be fools to not get Fox, and fools to get PMcN, who doesn't work hard enough. I'm sick of this club making stupid administrative decisions with our money.