DAVID NEITZ RETIRES

Cactus

It's a sad day for the MFC as far as I'm concerned, Neitzy is a champion, hell even a legend of the Melbourne Football Club and deserves all accolades thrown his way. The bloke has had his knockers but 2xAll Australian, B&F, Coleman Medallist, 300+games, 600+goals, 170+games as captain, all this while playing in a mildly successful team and playing 2 different positions..

Farewell to a true Champ.....

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just saw it on the MFC website.

Is not a surprise as clearly his injury has been hampering him all year and is a pity no fairytale ending for such a longserving servant of the club.

Our thanks also and best wishes big fella. Well done in all respects.

So sad. Even though we all knew it was coming, it still isn't easy to take. Such an inglorious end to such a fine career.

Goodbye Neita

David Neitz is a hero of the MFC. Since he reluctantly took over the leadership of the club, he has been an almost faultless leader. His heart beats true, and he played his footy the way every supporter and teammate wants - by running in straight lines, putting his body on the line, and through hard work and preparation.

Congratulations on your accolades Neita. We all wish you had been given the send off you deserve, but alas, life is like that sometimes.

Team of the Century (Awarded in 2000)

B: John Beckwith Robert Johnson Donald Cordner.

HB: Noel McMahen Gary Hardeman Don Williams

C: Brian Dixon Allan La Fontaine Robert Flower

HF: Hassa Mann Ivor Warne-Smith Garry Lyon

F: Jack Mueller Norm Smith Percy Beames

R: Denis Cordner Ron Barassi Stuart Spencer

Int: Frank Adams Albert Chadwick Wally Lock Laurie Mithen Jim Stynes Todd Viney

Emerg: Stan Alves Bob Johnson Jnr Ian Ridley Greg Wells

Coach - Norm Smith

Captain - Ron Barassi

Vice-Captain - Robert Flower

Anyone care to take a stab at where Neita would be selected if the team was picked now?

Great career Neita, thanks for the memories

well :( certainly not the way Id have liked to see him go out...still have the mental image of him trundling off the G.. damn. ..bugger !! It was always looming but youd think he could go out on his terms.. Hopefully some recognition at the QB game against the filth.

Thankyou David for you past efforts, your respect for the club and your future participaton in our resurgence !!

Such a really sad day. It's like there's been a death in the family. Sorry about those "Rubber Guts" and "Butter Fingers" references Neita, only jokin' mate. He's now ahead of at least 10 players named in the MFC Team of the Century.

a true champion

i like this

I will remain involved with the Melbourne Football Club and the team for the remainder of the year. I'm looking forward to continuing working with the players and coaches, and will also work with the Club in the areas of marketing and strategic branding.

Great comment he made today at the press conference "I haven't really been the greatest player going around but I've been a competitive player." - and so true, you have always been a competitive player.

so true. il miss ya big neita! it must be hard also for a kid like jack grimes who grew up supporting the dees and i bet the one thing he ever wanted to do was just to say yes i played a game with david neitz but its sad he wont play with his captain.

on ya neita!

Geez. You cant help but admire and love the guy. Has carried this Club in more ways than one for a long time.

Deserves two laps of the ground for character performance and endurance.

He deserves all the best in his future. A great Clubman without question.

Neita, you will not be forgotten at this footy club. The greatest champion to have played in the red & blue, as is proved by your accolades. I will miss the roar of the crowd as you took a big pack mark or kicked one of those superb goals from 60. A real team man who deserved a better finish to his career.

Well done big fella.

God, but 'thank-you' is all I have and it feels so inadequate at times like these. Neita was our skipper - he won games and saved games and was who I looked too in all sorts of occasions when supporting Melbourne.

Thanks Skipper. I'm going to miss seeing you out there for the red and the blue.

When you talk about blokes that have given their heart and soul to a footy club, You can mention Neitz in the same breath as Flower, Barassi and Smith. Absolute Champion, thanks for the memories Neita - you didn't win a premiership, but it wasn't from lack of trying.

Just heard on SEN

Announcement this afternoon - effective immediately

I really hope it isn't true!!!

Just heard this on SEN driving home while he was talking to the OX

Totally gutted but understand his medical reasons.

You have been the heart & soul of our club since 1993

It seems like yesterday @ the 1993 jumper presentations that Ian Ridley was handing you that jumper

& welcoming you to the club.

Proudly have the Wegs World 300 game tribute poster hanging in my Game's Room

Congratulations Neita on a sensational career in the Red & Blue.

good job over the years big guy... see you in brighton for a couple of brews...

right descision dont ruin yourbody for the sake of the game... when its over its over.

you can now have ya tribute and get a medal named after you .. maybe melbournes leading goalscorer each season should win the neita medal...

Thanks for the memories Neita.....

....Captains' goals

....contested marks

....bone crunching bumps (just ask Luke Mc Cabe)

...and serious roughing up.

My only regret is that you didn't hang them up 8 rounds ago. Oh well, most of will forget you were even part of this season once some time has passed.

Dont' be a stranger to the club like a lot of your predicessors.

Go Dees