Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Brad Green

Demonland

Nev as a Leader

POLL  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

For some reason I just assumed that Nev was a part of our official Leadership Group (as of 2017). I was floored when I saw that he wasn't. I get that the "official" Leadership Group is just a title and that leadership is done by example and you don't need a title to be a leader.

I was thrilled to see Nev being presented with the AFLX Trophy as the captain of the match but why wasn't TMac given the captaining duties given his role in the 2017 Leadership Group? I know that this was AFLX and it doesn't mean anything and this isn't a big deal.

The reason for this post and poll is do you think Nev should be elevated to the 2018 Leadership Group?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of whether he is in the leadership group or not, Nev has been and always will be a leader on the field. Perhaps, as he does in the media, he flies under the radar at the club?

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assumed he was already in there.   Hes one of the best leaders at the club, and excluding the obvious pick of Jack Viney would just about be his teammates first choice of who they'd want to to go battle alongside.

Edited by Petraccattack
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

I thought he'd knocked back a leadership role(s) in the past, but not 100% sure.

Interesting if true. Can anyone confirm this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nev is a leader regardless of his wanting that title or not. 

On the field and off.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

http://m.melbournefc.com.au/news/2017-07-19/jetta-a-man-for-all-people

 

Very good profile of Jetta from last year.  Clearly a strong leader and presence at the club.

From that article re: Leadership

Although Jetta isn’t officially in Melbourne’s leadership group, he sits just outside of the group. He is sometimes canvassed for views and has sat in leadership group meetings.

Not a big speaker – although when he does, people listen – Jetta epitomises the ‘lead by example’ motto.

Having learned from the likes of Whelan and Davey, Jetta is now guiding the way for other Indigenous players – not just Jeffy Garlett, Jay Kennedy-Harris and Dion Johnstone at Melbourne – but across the competition.

“[I was] hiding to an extent behind ‘Wheels’ (Whelan) and ‘Flash’ (Davey) when I first came in. I didn’t really say too much, but to be in a position now where the boys look up to me is definitely a good feeling,” he said.

“I try not to change too much with the way I go about it. I’ve always been one who tries to lead by example and actions, so it’s had a flow on effect and the boys are now starting to see me in that role.”

As much as Jetta is revered for his on-field leadership – highlighted by his courageous style of play – he is a fine example away from the game. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would like to see him encouraged to take the next step even if not overly comfortable with the title as I think he would flourish further

with T Mac up front, we need him to be a more vocal leader, organising the defence.  even though Lever is down there and the oldies will help out off half back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted "no", mainly because I'm not a huge fan of big leadership groups. With Viney, Jones and TMc locked in (you would think), then we need to find 2 or 3 more to round out the LG, where I'd imagine we would be picking from Gawn, Jetta, potentially Lever, Hibberd.  I am also still of the view we need Lewis in the LG - yes, he's at the end of his career, but I think our younger players could still benefit from other 12 months of Jordan being in some formal leadership role.

I also have no idea if this is/would be a title that Jetta would want himself, so I couldn't vote yes in this instance.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lever and Lewis have been brought in to give the backline more leadership but I'd rather give Nev the title and see if he flourishes with it. It's a yes for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Lever and Lewis have been brought in to give the backline more leadership but I'd rather give Nev the title and see if he flourishes with it. It's a yes for me.

And what if he doesn't?

Not against it (even though I voted No), but looking at it from both sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Chazz said:

And what if he doesn't?

Not against it (even though I voted No), but looking at it from both sides.

It's different if he doesn't want it due to other responsibilities but as long as he's not opposed to the idea there's not much downside. After the captain and vice captain, or in our case co-captains, the rest of the official leadership titles are relatively risk free. Lewis and Lever are probably going to do what they'll do anyway. This is all my speculation but Jetta is a long time servant of the club who could take his leadership to a new level if given the chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Chazz said:

And what if he doesn't?

Not against it (even though I voted No), but looking at it from both sides.

That scenario could be applied to any one of the four players you mentioned earlier. I doubt it would have much effect on him one way or the other, but it would be a significant recognition of his efforts at the club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, hardtack said:

That scenario could be applied to any one of the four players you mentioned earlier. I doubt it would have much effect on him one way or the other, but it would be a significant recognition of his efforts at the club.

I agree hardatit. He's the quintessential leader by example. He doesn't enjoy making speeches...but if he speaks everyone listens. 

So GF 3qrt time Colliwobbles up by 10pts, after a fumbly 3rd....I want Nev to speak his mind... We win!!

Before you shout me down. I know the magies are [censored] and won't be there. So we can be happy with that little thought.:laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hardtack said:

That scenario could be applied to any one of the four players you mentioned earlier. I doubt it would have much effect on him one way or the other, but it would be a significant recognition of his efforts at the club.

Gawn was elevated to the LG in 2016, and was AA ruck.  He thrived not he added responsibility, was in the LG last year, so it's a fait accompli situation.

Lewis' age could be against him this year, and it also could depend on if Goodwin thinks we're ready for him to step out of the official role.  Knowing too well that Jordy will fly the flag regardless of titles, may help make that decision, if Goody thinks so.

I'm not sure if Lever is "ready"; he's definitely got the skills to do it if you listen to any of his teammates when asked how he (Lever) has settled in.  Given the hefty price tag to get him to us, he'll need to step up in a lot of areas to justify what we paid.  A spot in the LG could just be one of those areas.

Hibberd, like Jetta, may or may not have LG aspirations, and could rather not have that extra responsibility.  Neither will take a backward step if not in the LG, but based on what I have exposure to, wouldn't be out of place in it either.

So if you take what I've said above in to consideration, I'd have Jones, Viney, McDonald, Gawn and Lewis.  We had 6 in the LG last year, so I'd lean toward Lever than Jetta or Hibberd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dusty_Hill said:

Don’t need a title to be a leader. Go Nev 

My thoughts exactly - stick to a captain and vice captain only: the older and more experienced players should be leading by example regardless and should provide a sounding board for the captains, if required.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oozing leadership is Nevvie Jetta especially from where he has come from to where he is now. Leader of his people and a leader at our footy club and to think that piece of garbage Neeld almost ran him out the club my god.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, The Chazz said:

So if you take what I've said above in to consideration, I'd have Jones, Viney, McDonald, Gawn and Lewis.  We had 6 in the LG last year, so I'd lean toward Lever than Jetta or Hibberd.

My concern with Lever being in the leadership group is his age.  He may be AA quality, but that doesn't necessarily translate into maturity when it comes to leadership; you need look no further than what happened when the two Jacks were given the captaincy. 

Jetta on the other hand, has been involved in mentoring and ambassadorial activities (if I recall correctly) with no impact on his performances, so I can see him being able to make a pretty much seamless transition into the leadership group.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Win4theAges said:

Oozing leadership is Nevvie Jetta especially from where he has come from to where he is now. Leader of his people and a leader at our footy club and to think that piece of garbage Neeld almost ran him out the club my god.

A rather emotive post, Nev was not surprised to be delisted, had nothing to do with Neeld, rather his rotten run with injury, suspension and form

Roos offeted him a lifeline, he took it, had a decent run with injury and worked his arse off

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hardtack said:

My concern with Lever being in the leadership group is his age.  He may be AA quality, but that doesn't necessarily translate into maturity when it comes to leadership; you need look no further than what happened when the two Jacks were given the captaincy. 

Jetta on the other hand, has been involved in mentoring and ambassadorial activities (if I recall correctly) with no impact on his performances, so I can see him being able to make a pretty much seamless transition into the leadership group.

I do need to look further than the two Jacks.  Mainly because I'm not suggesting for one minute that Lever should be captain or vice captain.

Leadership Group is a lot different to captaining a club.

The point I have continually made is that we don't know what a player's leadership aspirations are, or if they are actually seen as a leader by their peers and the coaches.  As you have said, Nev is involved in mentoring our other indigenous players, as well as being an ambassador in other areas, maybe, just maybe, this is all he wants to do.  I don't know, do you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Chazz said:

I do need to look further than the two Jacks.  Mainly because I'm not suggesting for one minute that Lever should be captain or vice captain.

Leadership Group is a lot different to captaining a club.

The point I have continually made is that we don't know what a player's leadership aspirations are, or if they are actually seen as a leader by their peers and the coaches.  As you have said, Nev is involved in mentoring our other indigenous players, as well as being an ambassador in other areas, maybe, just maybe, this is all he wants to do.  I don't know, do you?

You’re right, I don’t know, just as you or I don’t know Lever’s aspirations nor whether he would be adversely affected by taking on a leadership role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Lewis will be in the leadership group this year. He probably will be, but given his indiscretions last year that undoubtedly cost us, I wouldn't be surprised to see him miss this year.

That doesn't mean he can't still provide leadership where required. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hardtack said:

You’re right, I don’t know, just as you or I don’t know Lever’s aspirations nor whether he would be adversely affected by taking on a leadership role.

I didn't do too bad, HT. My first post on this thread stated I didn't like big leadership groups. Since that post, I nominated Jones and Viney to remain co captains. Believed Lewis should be in again, and Gawn too. Think Tom is a bit stiff.

Yes, I was looking at one more (mainly because Goody had 6 last year), but am far more supportive of a 4 man group rather than trying to plug in an extra one 'just because'.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×