Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Bulldogs



bd

Sylvia signed as Assistant Coach in Millewa League.

Recommended Posts

Hopefully this is a positive step forward in getting his life back on track.  All the best, Col.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Frustrated Demon said:

This bloke will always be a [censored] up regardless.

The reality is that Col will probably thrive in the country. He definitely wasn't doing well in the big smoke.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Return to Glory said:

The reality is that Col will probably thrive in the country. He definitely wasn't doing well in the big smoke.

Not sure if that's a reality ? Blokes been a loose cannon for the past 15 years wherever he's gone. Hopefully it works out for him though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they think Colin Sylvia will take them to the next level they must be coming from a long way back!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite my criticisms of Col in the past, I genuinely hope this works out.

Some blokes are better suited to this lifestyle. Kick the footy on weekends and live the life of the average Aussie make during the week (i.e. a few cans after work, meat and three veg followed by vegging out on the couch).

Fev has nary hit the headlines since he initially decided to go to Yarrawonga and it sounds like his life is stable. I would like to see how Dan Connors is traveling as well (I think he was somewhat like Fev).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Return to Glory said:

The reality is that Col will probably thrive in the country. He definitely wasn't doing well in the big smoke.

He was a Bendigo boy, wasn't he?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Millewa football is a very low standard. There is only one male and one female team per club (so no reserve or juniors). The comp is full of has beens and never will be's.

The main league here in Mildura (SFNL) is decent standard and it's reserves would easily beat all Millewa teams.

The Millewa comp is a waste of space and solely alive due to its good work getting womens teams up and running.

Col's sister is with Toby (coach there) which is the reason he will play there. Meringur is a small club as well so I doubt Col would be getting much to play but apparently he is very close with his family which is great to hear.

I saw Col recently, looks strong but not fit. I think his shoulder still gives him grief so can't imagine he will play much.

Col's old club Merbein (who he played some games last year) is in the main league and will massively struggle again this year across all grades. It's a shame he doesn't go back there and support his old club imo as it would really lift them. 

I heard on the grapevine that the Russian will be lining up for Ouyen in the SFNL this year as well. Ouyens team is supported by the whole community and very wealthy. They were flying a few boys in weekly from Katherine last year! 

A few ruckmen are already nervous about going up against him!!

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, deeko said:

Millewa football is a very low standard. There is only one male and one female team per club (so no reserve or juniors). The comp is full of has beens and never will be's.

The main league here in Mildura (SFNL) is decent standard and it's reserves would easily beat all Millewa teams.

The Millewa comp is a waste of space and solely alive due to its good work getting womens teams up and running.

Col's sister is with Toby (coach there) which is the reason he will play there. Meringur is a small club as well so I doubt Col would be getting much to play but apparently he is very close with his family which is great to hear.

I saw Col recently, looks strong but not fit. I think his shoulder still gives him grief so can't imagine he will play much.

Col's old club Merbein (who he played some games last year) is in the main league and will massively struggle again this year across all grades. It's a shame he doesn't go back there and support his old club imo as it would really lift them. 

I heard on the grapevine that the Russian will be lining up for Ouyen in the SFNL this year as well. Ouyens team is supported by the whole community and very wealthy. They were flying a few boys in weekly from Katherine last year! 

A few ruckmen are already nervous about going up against him!!

Hi Deeko

How are the Redcliff Tigers going these days?

Remember going to some games in the early '80's. Very good and passionate crowds.

I wish someone would stump up the money so MFC could play its NT games in Mildura. The local district population exceeds that of Alice Springs so it's not as silly as it sounds from a club development viewpoint.

Cheers

Edited by Diamond_Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Col's a Sunraysia Boy played for the Merbein Pies as a junior, hey Deeko go a bit lightly on the Milewa League champ I played three years with the Werrimul Pies back in 72-74. I also played for the Mildura Footy Club as a junior and they are the Mighty Demons...!!!!

Good Luck Col.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, deeko said:

Millewa football is a very low standard. There is only one male and one female team per club (so no reserve or juniors). The comp is full of has beens and never will be's.

The main league here in Mildura (SFNL) is decent standard and it's reserves would easily beat all Millewa teams.

The Millewa comp is a waste of space and solely alive due to its good work getting womens teams up and running.

Col's sister is with Toby (coach there) which is the reason he will play there. Meringur is a small club as well so I doubt Col would be getting much to play but apparently he is very close with his family which is great to hear.

I saw Col recently, looks strong but not fit. I think his shoulder still gives him grief so can't imagine he will play much.

Col's old club Merbein (who he played some games last year) is in the main league and will massively struggle again this year across all grades. It's a shame he doesn't go back there and support his old club imo as it would really lift them. 

I heard on the grapevine that the Russian will be lining up for Ouyen in the SFNL this year as well. Ouyens team is supported by the whole community and very wealthy. They were flying a few boys in weekly from Katherine last year! 

A few ruckmen are already nervous about going up against him!!

I believe my mate Will Farrar was one of those players for Ouyen. Incredibly unlucky not to be on an AFL list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Daniel Connors is in a different league to Col. Col does really dumb things, Connors is a piece of work....imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

Daniel Connors is in a different league to Col. Col does really dumb things, Connors is a piece of work....imo.

I was making the comparison that maybe Col could settle down in the bush and vainly thought Dan Connors might be a role model.

Alas a quick Google search proved that unfounded.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

I was making the comparison that maybe Col could settle down in the bush and vainly thought Dan Connors might be a role model.

Alas a quick Google search proved that unfounded.

Whatever the case Colin Sylvia deserves to be given a go and do some good for his self esteem. There is that tendency to rub salt into a wound. He played some great footy for us and we supported it.  However l am sure Colin knows that he never reach his full potential and l bet that the regret is there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Hi Deeko

How are the Redcliff Tigers going these days?

Remember going to some games in the early '80's. Very good and passionate crowds.

I wish someone would stump up the money so MFC could play its NT games in Mildura. The local district population exceeds that of Alice Springs so it's not as silly as it sounds from a club development viewpoint.

Cheers

G'day Mr Tilbrook

There is a massive Tigs following up here following a lot of work they did in the 80's and 90's. They still have the strongest supporter base here but it would be great if our  boys spent some time here. I think the NT is pretty cool but and hopefully it's positive.

Red Cliffs are strong and have a great community following behind them. Very proud club however I'm not sure on there last coupla years recruiting which saw them have Andrew Lovett and then Nick Stevens playing there.?

Still, they have a lot of amazing people around the club and it's always a great game playing there

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I believe my mate Will Farrar was one of those players for Ouyen. Incredibly unlucky not to be on an AFL list.

Mrs Deeko is an Ouyen lady so I watched them a lot of weeks.

He's one of the best I've seen in country footy. His speed and skills are amazing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DeeZone said:

Col's a Sunraysia Boy played for the Merbein Pies as a junior, hey Deeko go a bit lightly on the Milewa League champ I played three years with the Werrimul Pies back in 72-74. I also played for the Mildura Footy Club as a junior and they are the Mighty Demons...!!!!

Good Luck Col.

 

Werrimul will be good this year Deezone, have recruited well. Don't mean to be rude against the Millewa mate, I have a lot of good mates there who are very handy but the depth isn't there unfortunately. Great pub there as well, did you ever get the chance to have a couple sharpies there?

The Mildura Demons will struggle however. We're flag faves last year but choked. Have lost three of the best four. They'll still compete however. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nosoupforme said:

Whatever the case Colin Sylvia deserves to be given a go and do some good for his self esteem. There is that tendency to rub salt into a wound. He played some great footy for us and we supported it.  However l am sure Colin knows that he never reach his full potential and l bet that the regret is there.

Fully agree. 

It’s clear why he moved there. He needed to get into an environment that wouldn’t reinforce some of his self destructive behaviors but one that didn’t put the demands on him that city life would. I hope this REALLY works out for him and I think it actually might.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as he is not in charge of pre-season.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, deeko said:

Werrimul will be good this year Deezone, have recruited well. Don't mean to be rude against the Millewa mate, I have a lot of good mates there who are very handy but the depth isn't there unfortunately. Great pub there as well, did you ever get the chance to have a couple sharpies there?

The Mildura Demons will struggle however. We're flag faves last year but choked. Have lost three of the best four. They'll still compete however. 

Thanks for the update deeko I sank a few at the Werrimul pub and the footy grounds at Lake Culluleraine were the best in the comp. I still follow them and Mildura from afar sorry that Mildura have lost so many players.

Edited by DeeZone
Spell checker stepped in where it wasn’t wanted
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Tigers got rid of Connors because they didn't want him anywhere near Dusty.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/01/2018 at 8:17 PM, Return to Glory said:

The reality is that Col will probably thrive in the country. He definitely wasn't doing well in the big smoke.

The boredom of a small town can be worse than the attractions of the big smoke.

Tree change isn't a guaranteed healer. 

Edited by The Chazz
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×