Player Reviews

Mousey

cheers Mousey..

Seems Martin might actually turn into a useful lad.. thats good. patience will be needed.

Magic and Juice cant be too far off..

Good to see the youngens coming along too ..means we'll get another wave in a yer or so.. just in time me thinks.

I'm impressed with Kyle Cheeney even if it is only reserves. 35 possesions of half back is very good!!

Nice to get a report from sandy on our players!!

Of the well performed listed here, I'd love to see Buckley, Bate and Maric drafted into the team. I know the popular vote is for Valenti to be elevated to replace Neitz on the senior list (and he looks deserving it), given our struggles in key position (especially up forward) I'd like to see us take a punt on Zomer. Looked promising in pre-season, started well in Sandy's reserves.

Addam Maric

Addam has been playing in the forward line, and has looked really dangerous. On the weekend, he only had eight possessions, but he also had seven tackles. His defensive pressure was outstanding, and he played a really important role for us. He didn’t kick the goals he would have wanted to, but his team game was really good for us. We rated his game as equal to the game last week, when he kicked five goals.

Thanks mousey for the report.

I find the comments above really disturbing, and symptomatic of our malaise this season. Is the coaching panel trying to suck individual brilliance out of the players' game?

Drawing reference from another code, Storm coach Craig Bellamy mentioned that after a couple of losses earlier this season, he felt that his coaching had become too focussed on playing disciplined football. The following week they came up against the unbeaten Broncos, and smashed them on the scoreboard. The scoreline wasn't a true reflection of the game, but the players were allowed to play with more flair, which resulted in a massive win.

The Melbourne players look like they've had all the life sucked out of them, and the enjoyment of the game is not there. FCS, Bailey and Lovell, let the players play, especially a talented 17 year old kid like Maric.

The Melbourne players look like they've had all the life sucked out of them, and the enjoyment of the game is not there. FCS, Bailey and Lovell, let the players play, especially a talented 17 year old kid like Maric.

I'm completely confused. Where does the article say Maric is not allowed to play his natural game (or whatever)? All it says was that he did not kick the goals he would have liked to, read: his kicking on the day sucked and he should have done better.

I'm completely confused. Where does the article say Maric is not allowed to play his natural game (or whatever)? All it says was that he did not kick the goals he would have liked to, read: his kicking on the day sucked and he should have done better.

"We rated his game as equal to the game last week, when he kicked five goals."

That's the quote that I found disturbing. Little wonder we haven't looked like kicking 100 points in any game this year, when the coaches have this mindset. If he was promoted to the seniors, they'd be just as happy if he made 4 tackles than kick 3 goals. Amazing!

Maybe a light at then end of this tunnel too...

Matthew Warnock

Matt Warnock has been consistently in our best three players over the past three weeks. He had 28 touches across the half back line. He showed a real balance in his game, he beat his man one on one, and marked well and attacked the game off half back. With Matt’s recent form, he is on the verge of senior selection.

That's the quote that I found disturbing. Little wonder we haven't looked like kicking 100 points in any game this year, when the coaches have this mindset. If he was promoted to the seniors, they'd be just as happy if he made 4 tackles than kick 3 goals. Amazing!

What?!?! Mo you make some good points on here but this one baffles me. If he has laid 7 tackles, 7!, tackles that is 7 times the ball will be kept in our forward line. That is 7 more opportunities for us to potentially score... we [censored] and moan about robbo or nieta not showing anything in our f50, a bloke goes about laying 7 tackles for a forward that is outstanding.

7 chances for the ball to spill out and another forward slot a goal, 7 potential holding/dropping the balls....

After reading im thinking there is a really strong chance these two will get a game.

Yze

Garland

Possible dropping Neitz (of course) and Moloney

I would like to see these players in

Meesen (for Jamar)

Maric

Miller

Bate (for Bell

So out: Jamar (drropped, Neitz (injured), Moloney (dropped), Bell (dropped)

In: Meesen, Maric, Miller, Bate

Sound good? great, do that thanks Dean.

It all depends on what you want to rate. Good coaches look for and value the things that bring about team success (as opposed to individual success) not just the person who is on the end of the line to kick the goals on other back of others hard work. Its why Steve Johnson is such a better and more damaging player because he focusses on the team successes not the selfish individual ones.

There is more to forward line play than just kicking goals set up by others.

Its why many posters have misrated some of Yze's downhill skiing performances for years. Too much focus on the flashy MOTY and GOTY and who kicked the goals as opposed to what actually brings about the goals and in some cases what that player's direct opponent did to impact the game.

Keep reading Monday's newspaper and working out who played the best from there.

It all depends on what you want to rate. Good coaches look for and value the things that bring about team success (as opposed to individual success) not just the person who is on the end of the line to kick the goals on other back of others hard work. Its why Steve Johnson is such a better and more damaging player because he focusses on the team successes not the selfish individual ones.

There is more to forward line play than just kicking goals set up by others.

Its why many posters have misrated some of Yze's downhill skiing performances for years. Too much focus on the flashy MOTY and GOTY and who kicked the goals as opposed to what actually brings about the goals and in some cases what that player's direct opponent did to impact the game.

Keep reading Monday's newspaper and working out who played the best from there.

As long as your happy watching us struggle to kick 10 goals a game, that's all the matters.

BTW, the individual brilliance of Buddy Franklin is why Hawthorn are undefeated. He can be selfish as all f#ck, but he consistently wins games. End of story.

And your continuous denigration of Yze is nauseating.

After reading im thinking there is a really strong chance these two will get a game.

Yze

Garland

I doubt Yze will figure much in the AFL. Last year on the list, fringe player with a strong tendency to do all the lazy unaccountable things that would [censored] DB right off. He was dropped for a reason after round 1.

And in the Sandy team that won by 95 points all the opposition pressure would be off and Yze would be in his element in the VFL. Its a false dawn.

I guess when you win by that much th3 Coach cant help but be glowing but geez that is an overtly positive glowing report on all of them. It should be rivetting reading if Sandy loses! :o

As long as your happy watching us struggle to kick 10 goals a game, that's all the matters.

BTW, the individual brilliance of Buddy Franklin is why Hawthorn are undefeated. He can be selfish as all f#ck, but he consistently wins games. End of story.

And your continuous denigration of Yze is nauseating.

So long as you can read in the paper who kicked them and not understand them that's all that really matters.

Franklin is a star no doubt and it what you need to have a good team but your conclusion that Franklin is the only reason why Hawthorn says more about your naive perception of the game.

I have no doubt a few home truths on Yze would be very difficult for you to stomach.

If Adem Yze plays 3 blinders in a row...you then give him a game to show the youngsters that consistency, hard work and good form will be rewarded.

But for the past season and a half Yze has been inconsistent...if your going to play the kids then you expect that...but not from a seasoned player.

Far better to put game time into the likes of Maric then to give a fading stars a game off the basis of one good game [which happened to be during a turkey shoot].

Lets face facts, there is bugger all left to redeem from this season apart from the development of our players aged 23 and under.

geez that is an overtly positive glowing report on all of them. It should be rivetting reading if Sandy loses! :o

I thought exactly the same thing. To me it sounded more sugar coated than an honest assessment.

If Adem Yze plays 3 blinders in a row...you then give him a game to show the youngsters that consistency, hard work and good form will be rewarded.

But for the past season and a half Yze has been inconsistent...if your going to play the kids then you expect that...but not from a seasoned player.

Far better to put game time into the likes of Maric then to give a fading stars a game off the basis of one good game [which happened to be during a turkey shoot].

Lets face facts, there is bugger all left to redeem from this season apart from the development of our players aged 23 and under.

Its an interesting point. If Sandy wins by 100 points and Yze plays a blinder I still would not be convinced. I would put more value on games where Sandy is under the pump and there is pressure. And Yze does perform. The fact is he does not and has a track record for this. Further his limitations now at the AFL level really sway me from wasting a spot on a player who has shown an inability to play to the conditions required in todays football.

As you rightly point out I just cant see the value of playing Yze at the risk of possible opportunities for Maric and others.

Its an interesting point. If Sandy wins by 100 points and Yze plays a blinder I still would not be convinced. I would put more value on games where Sandy is under the pump and there is pressure. And Yze does perform.

Hate to agree with Rhino but agreed.

As I said, I think he might get a game, I really do think that.

However he was not in my personal list of who should was he. I do not belive Adem Yze deserves a game at AFL right now.

Seems a pretty positive report there, but as stated above, pretty much the only one to get a sort of negative comment was Weetra, which I guess is a bit of a worry. To slide from being worthy of AFL selection to hardly having an impact in VFL reserves is not a good thing. Poor guy, but I don't think he will make it.

Its an interesting point. If Sandy wins by 100 points and Yze plays a blinder I still would not be convinced. I would put more value on games where Sandy is under the pump and there is pressure. And Yze does perform. The fact is he does not and has a track record for this. Further his limitations now at the AFL level really sway me from wasting a spot on a player who has shown an inability to play to the conditions required in todays football.

As you rightly point out I just cant see the value of playing Yze at the risk of possible opportunities for Maric and others.

Virtually has never been in the best players over the past few years when Melbourne has lost.