Garland

mclean sweep

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive seen enough to suggest he is going to be a good player there is alot of upside to his game

He has pace. We need pace. And he doesn't have the faults people keep crapping on about. I'd put him relatively close to Petterd for excitement level for me.

• 1 month later...

Finally a rising star nomination for Garls. Also Yoda's take on Davey dobing himself in....

Demon On the Rise

MELBOURNE defender Colin Garland's rising star nomination has been greeted as a rare bright spot in a poor season for the Demons.

The 20-year-old, who had played just two senior games before this year, has performed well on some of the AFL's best, including Lance Franklin, Nick Riewoldt and Alan Didak.

While Garland did not rate his job on Brisbane Lions spearhead Daniel Bradshaw as one of his best in the Demons' upset one-point win last round, coach Dean Bailey said the nomination was a fitting reward for hard work.

"Colin works particularly hard and he's got a real inner determination in him, which has just come to the fore more and more as the weeks go by," Bailey said.

He is Melbourne's second Rising Star nominee this year, following Austin Wonaeamirri in round 7.

Meanwhile, Bailey said star half-forward Aaron Davey's voluntary confession of misbehaviour could be a step towards him becoming a leader at the Demons in future.

"Colin works particularly hard and he's got a real inner determination in him, which has just come to the fore more and more as the weeks go by," Bailey said.

That's probably the thing I love most about Garland. He really is very determined, and I often see him punching the ground in anger when he loses a contest. I love players who hate losing even one single contest, it shows how much they care about the jumper.

his game on bradshaw was nothing short of marvellous. in recent times bradshaw has consistantly torn us a new one. he kicks goals every time we play them.

against brisbane, bradshaw got one goal that i thought he deserved, a good lead and mark in the last quarter i believe.

other than that he got two soft goals from free kicks.

i thought it was one of his best blanketing performances to date.

Good to see a young guy being rewarded after a steady improvement thru the year.

The original comments on this thread show some Dee supporters need to show some patience with

the younger team members.

And humbly apologise to Yoda for thinking that Garland was a forward being played out of position.

I was wrong. [see Vlad...that wasn't so hard was it].

That's probably the thing I love most about Garland. He really is very determined, and I often see him punching the ground in anger when he loses a contest. I love players who hate losing even one single contest, it shows how much they care about the jumper.

Archer was like that.

Except he would punch opposition heads :P

....?

Surely it shows how much they care about losing a contest?

No way, really? :o;)

I think his point was that it doesn't necessarily show passion for the jumper etc.

You can be a very selfish sportsman, and be quite angry when you lose a contest, while caring little for the team.

I think his point was that it doesn't necessarily show passion for the jumper etc.

You can be a very selfish sportsman, and be quite angry when you lose a contest, while caring little for the team.

I don't know many players who get angry and punch the ground when they lose a one on one contest 80m away from goals!

It shows a lot of passion and when someone really hurts when they lose a contest to me it shows that they are aware that they've let the team down. Selfish players usually get angry when they miss a goal etc... because it's an individual thing.

Besides, defenders by nature are not selfish players. Being a defender is the most thankless, probably most difficult job in the team.

I can't imagine how daunting it would be for a player who has played 12 games to line up on a player like Bradshaw who traditionally kicks 8 goals a match against us. That Garland was angry with himself on the few occassions Bradshaw outplayed him shows he really does want to do his absolute best for the team. It would be understandable if, at his age and with his experience, he would say to himself "oh well, it's one contest against an elite forward". But he doesn't, and that's great!

I don't know many players who get angry and punch the ground when they lose a one on one contest 80m away from goals!

It shows a lot of passion and when someone really hurts when they lose a contest to me it shows that they are aware that they've let the team down. Selfish players usually get angry when they miss a goal etc... because it's an individual thing.

Besides, defenders by nature are not selfish players. Being a defender is the most thankless, probably most difficult job in the team.

I can't imagine how daunting it would be for a player who has played 12 games to line up on a player like Bradshaw who traditionally kicks 8 goals a match against us. That Garland was angry with himself on the few occassions Bradshaw outplayed him shows he really does want to do his absolute best for the team. It would be understandable if, at his age and with his experience, he would say to himself "oh well, it's one contest against an elite forward". But he doesn't, and that's great!

I'm with Rogue on this one.

His action show's personal pride, rather than passion for the jumper. For mine, it's no different to a forward missing a shot for goal.

Either way, it's good to see.

Well done to the kid. At the start of the year I didnt have high hopes, but he has sure proved me wrong. Hopefully he continues to put on abit more upper body strength and develop nicely. I'd hate for him to be a one year wonder :( But he looks like he will be around for a long time.

I even added him on facebook Im so impressed ;)

It is quite sad that MFC lacks the kind of 'homegrown heroes' who are instilled with institutional loyalty from their youth such as Geelong has in Bartel, Ablett Jnr, and Scarlett.

Given Col is from Tassie and only took an interest in footy a couple of years ago, it would be a stretch to say he plays hard out of pride in the red and the blue.

I don't think it's a bad thing - imagine how good he'll be when he combines personal drive with institutional loyalty.

i reckon hes done pretty damn well holding franklin to only 3 goals aswell and 1 were from 55 out.

and yes they year he was drafted he wasnt going to play he rocked up to a north hobart practice match just for fun so he has done incredibly well

Amazing how a player can go from shite to rising star in a career 13 games isn't it.

I agree with Wrathchild's earlier post to give them 20+ games to get a reasonable idea.

I'll be happy to see more 'duds' played during the season remainder. I think we'll see some potential strawberry jam.

I can't believe they tried this kid for a second go after a dismal first round performance. There is no hope in garland at all. Since he arrived at the club he has done nothing. Has too many flaws... He has no size, has poor decision making, and is not accountable in defense.

Saw him play the practice match against the roos at casey and noticed many many wrongs. A potential delist I thought at the time. Only to my suprise I see him listed as a starting player round 1. I don't see any future in garland. If he's stays on against the cats i will be furious!

Does anyone know what's on this guys mind when playing??

Epic fail.

Gee, i sure was proven wrong.

I feel.. quite embarrassed actually. I really am disgusted in myslef that i said those things about him. I'll learn now not to be too critical on such a player who is just starting out.

Im sorry, Colin Garland.

Well least i'm not the first to be proven wrong ay yze_magic ;)