The Sharks are Circling

drdrake

I don't know how to attached news paper articles but the one in the age today about moving our game from the MCG is just the start of the media torch armed directly at the MFC. We as supporters have to shove it up this reporter and the paper who published it and get to the game on Saturday. The MCC thinks they will just get over 20,000 that's rubbish we should get high 30,000 and closer to 40,000.

Please every one that can get to the game go, if we don't we will be the media target all year and it won't be for positive, a lot of them can't wait get get stuck into MelbourneFC. We expect so much from the club and players, the club needs its supporters more than ever. Be a true supporter get to the game

We could have lost by a million points, but this wouldn't be an issue if the majority of our supporters weren't a pathetically limp bunch.

If Collingwood lost to Hawthorn instead, would anyone be worried about crowd numbers for the following week? No, because as feral as their supporters are, at least they stick by their club.

No doubt half of the pretenders who claim to be Melbourne fans have already jumped off the bandwagon and will not be seen again until we win 5 in a row (or play Collingwood on Queens Birthday :rolleyes: ).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, pathetic, conditional supporters are our biggest problem.

(This is not an attack on anyone who posts on Demonland by the way. I think we all know at least one Melbourne supporter who should be ashamed of their so called level of support for this great club).

I read this article straight after I read the article about McGuire's continued push for Collingwood to play away games on the Gold Coast.

What sort of competition could justify allowing a powerhouse to play all its games for a season at two venues (Carrara and MCG) while shifting a struggling club's home game away from it's home ground of over 100 years to accommodate another powerhouse?

Even playing field? No. The AFL is corrupt.

I read this article straight after I read the article about McGuire's continued push for Collingwood to play away games on the Gold Coast.

What sort of competition could justify allowing a powerhouse to play all its games for a season at two venues (Carrara and MCG) while shifting a struggling club's home game away from it's home ground of over 100 years to accommodate another powerhouse?

Even playing field? No. The AFL is corrupt.

I know, but the fact remains that the biggest problem about MFC is it's fanbase.

There are two issues here.

First, if we continue to play at the MCG in front of small crowds (I think the break even figure is about 24,000) then the club will continue to bleed. We have to write the AFL a cheque for the shortfall. Playing at the Dome instead is not an alternative for us (as the writer may be hinting) because crowds will still not meet operating costs.

The second issue in the article is the situation where The Dome is filled to capacity for games such as Essendon v Geelong. I couldn't care less. Those and other clubs have arrangements to play games at the Dome and any loss of revenue is offset by selling reserved seats and compensation from the AFL paid to Dome clients. If the public miss out then bad luck. the days of rocking up to the footy and expecting a seat are gone, unless of course you follow the MFC.

MFC supporters and some members and MCC members (some of whom barrack for but don't support the MFC) need to collectively pull their fingers out. How is it we can pull huge red & blue crowds on Queens Birthday but not other times?

Of course they turn up to their games, they get pretty much all of them at night and at the G, even their away ones. How is MFC supposed to get better exposure when we play twice as many games away from Melbourne as they do and when we do play we get all the sunday games.

MFC will be a minnow of the competition forever because of the way the AFL treats us.

Its all valid points concerning the operating costs and the ability of the game to draw a big crowd. Thats not the issue though. What this [censored] poor excuse of a journalist is forgetting, is that the MCG is the Demons home ground and its where they are entitled to play their football, regardless of crowd size. Our home ground is the MCG, not Telstra Dome. Its our home game, therefore we play at the G.

We could have lost by a million points, but this wouldn't be an issue if the majority of our supporters weren't a pathetically limp bunch.

If Collingwood lost to Hawthorn instead, would anyone be worried about crowd numbers for the following week? No, because as feral as their supporters are, at least they stick by their club.

No doubt half of the pretenders who claim to be Melbourne fans have already jumped off the bandwagon and will not be seen again until we win 5 in a row (or play Collingwood on Queens Birthday :rolleyes: ).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, pathetic, conditional supporters are our biggest problem.

(This is not an attack on anyone who posts on Demonland by the way. I think we all know at least one Melbourne supporter who should be ashamed of their so called level of support for this great club).

I don't believe this theory about Melbourne supporters. I'm happy to admit I'm wrong if someone can provide figures but I can remember some pretty abysmal crowd numbers for North, Bulldogs and Hawthorn games in recent years when they haven't been travelling well. We have a much smaller fan base than Coll, Ess, Carl and Rich and therefore less diehard fans.

Apart from that our product stinks. 3 years in a row we were well placed and flying up till somewhere between rd12 & 16 only for the wheels to fall off. This is disappointing and frustrating. During those 3 years was when we needed to threaten, instead we looked fickle and all too ready to drop our bundle. Now that time has passed, Neitz, White, Yze and Junior won't play in a premiership and we face an extended period in the wilderness because Daniher didn't turn over our list.

Football is a business and blaming the customer for not buying your product is counterproductive. Any prospective supporter is going to be turned off if they are castigated for not turning up week in, week out, rain, hail or shine. If you're passionate and go every week great! But the club won't survive without attracting new supporters and members, and you can't expect them all of them to be as passionate as you. So if you want to kill the club by all means alienate those fans who buy memberships but don't go to games when we are losing. 8000 of them had enough of that crap last year :angry:

Its all valid points concerning the operating costs and the ability of the game to draw a big crowd. Thats not the issue though. What this [censored] poor excuse of a journalist is forgetting, is that the MCG is the Demons home ground and its where they are entitled to play their football, regardless of crowd size. Our home ground is the MCG, not Telstra Dome. Its our home game, therefore we play at the G.

thankyou

yes are fans are [censored] weak but the AFL should allow the oldest club in the AFL, the club that they owe their 150th birthday for (even though they turned 100, 11 years ago) to play at the MCG even if we have 2000 there and do not break even. It should just be a fact, that we play there

to quote the great man chris conolly, "the MCG is melbournes home ground, all of the other clubs are tennants"

What this [censored] poor excuse of a journalist is forgetting, is that the MCG is the Demons home ground and its where they are entitled to play their football, regardless of crowd size. Our home ground is the MCG, not Telstra Dome. Its our home game, therefore we play at the G.

The MFC has a historical connection with the MCG. We don't own it or pay their bills therefore I think this notion adopted by Paul Gardner that there will always be an MFC in the AFL and we will always play home games at the MCG is encouraging MFC followers to put their heads in the sand.

I don't dispute our connection with the MCG but it is becoming more and more tenuous with each passing year.

I don't believe this theory about Melbourne supporters. I'm happy to admit I'm wrong if someone can provide figures but I can remember some pretty abysmal crowd numbers for North, Bulldogs and Hawthorn games in recent years when they haven't been travelling well. We have a much smaller fan base than Coll, Ess, Carl and Rich and therefore less diehard fans.

Apart from that our product stinks. 3 years in a row we were well placed and flying up till somewhere between rd12 & 16 only for the wheels to fall off. This is disappointing and frustrating. During those 3 years was when we needed to threaten, instead we looked fickle and all too ready to drop our bundle. Now that time has passed, Neitz, White, Yze and Junior won't play in a premiership and we face an extended period in the wilderness because Daniher didn't turn over our list.

Football is a business and blaming the customer for not buying your product is counterproductive. Any prospective supporter is going to be turned off if they are castigated for not turning up week in, week out, rain, hail or shine. If you're passionate and go every week great! But the club won't survive without attracting new supporters and members, and you can't expect them all of them to be as passionate as you. So if you want to kill the club by all means alienate those fans who buy memberships but don't go to games when we are losing. 8000 of them had enough of that crap last year :angry:

bravo......bravo...bravo ....

Some perspective.. I am one of those who WONT turn up week in week out ..rain hail or shine...just because some 'other' thinks its their domain to be keeper of the keys !! Ill go when and if I feel like it. My money...my time.....my sanity !!

So many castigate the 'numbers' who only join the band wagon in better times. Personally ..Id say go get more bandwagons.. let them jump on.. but they will only do so when there's something to sing about...and that dear people is the sole prerogative of the players !! I and her...and him..and them others are not the villians !! But I can give you the address of those that are !!

thankyou

yes are fans are [censored] weak but the AFL should allow the oldest club in the AFL, the club that they owe their 150th birthday for (even though they turned 100, 11 years ago) to play at the MCG even if we have 2000 there and do not break even. It should just be a fact, that we play there

to quote the great man chris conolly, "the MCG is melbournes home ground, all of the other clubs are tennants"

Correct me if I'm wrong but I am of the understanding that a "Break Even" crowd number at the Darklands is a higher number then at the G

bravo......bravo...bravo ....

Some perspective.. I am one of those who WONT turn up week in week out ..rain hail or shine...just because some 'other' thinks its their domain to be keeper of the keys !! Ill go when and if I feel like it. My money...my time.....my sanity !!

So many castigate the 'numbers' who only join the band wagon in better times. Personally ..Id say go get more bandwagons.. let them jump on.. but they will only do so when there's something to sing about...and that dear people is the sole prerogative of the players !! I and her...and him..and them others are not the villians !! But I can give you the address of those that are !!

We need "New" stereotype supporter! So lets turn Melbourne Feral recriut some hard nuts.

The simple reality is that whilst you have 'lacklustre' parading the ground ..its not attractive.. Why would anyone want to watch such dross ??

You dont have to be winning necessarily..but you do have to offer up a decent effort... When people can see there is something to partake in ( even if as a spectator ) then and only then do you have a viable commodity.

Many of us here are Melbourne through and through... and have been for probably more years than we can ( or care to ) remember. Our allegiance isnt going to particulary sway despite the durge thats offered up. But whether is a new influx of ferals..or any other flavour of converts there has to be something there for them to hang their hat of affection on. its not natural to want to be associated with losing.. People can come at and accept trying and not succeeding, but even then only for so long till the novelty of that wears off.

Youre hardly likely to get to many hard nuts with Sunday's efforts !!

Im already fed up with people slanging off about the supporters..whether its the media or well ( or poorly ) meaned incursions here.

If you are going to compare other clubs..and their degree of rabidness... think what it is they supoort..its not only the the team.. but the intrinsic way that club goes about its business.. Whether that club suffers fools.. whether that club acccepts medicodrity ..whether that club is fair dinkum. How it handles itself with the AFL..whether it lets itself get rough ridden..etc. Clubs like Eessendon dont.. clubs like Collingwood dont.. they just tell the AFL to go stuff themselves...do we.. this is where the seeds of 'following a club " are sewn...not just the field..but the whole shebang.

As the club ( MFC ) gels...as the new crew take charge and have effect then we might se a different beast.. Maybe this will be attractive to potential supporters to want to cross that line and take arms !! Until then I dont blame them...nor should any one else .

The MFC has a historical connection with the MCG. We don't own it or pay their bills therefore I think this notion adopted by Paul Gardner that there will always be an MFC in the AFL and we will always play home games at the MCG is encouraging MFC followers to put their heads in the sand.

I don't dispute our connection with the MCG but it is becoming more and more tenuous with each passing year.

I agree, and you make a good point. However I put this to you. If the AFL wants to maximise crowd numbers at all games, which was the issue this journalist was raising, then how do they let Geelong play down at Skilled Stadium? That is a ground with a maximum crowd potential of around 20000. Now if they moved their game to Telstra Dome or even the MCG, then they would probably get at least 40 to 50,000. Just because they are premiership winners and we are potential wooden spooners does not mean we should be treated worse.

I prefer the whingeing to at least be partly based on fact (and fcs there is plenty of facts to whinge about).

But saying the AFL is celebrating its 150th birthday is wrong. It is the 150th anniversary of the birth of Australian Rules Football which is undeniable.

And the sharks always circle when there's blood in the water. We'll get treated better when we deserve it - a vicious circle but there it is.

Some really interesting points raised in this thread. As a member for over 20 years now, remember this about our membership - the MFC members are effectively the only Club membership in the history of the game to vote their club out of existence. Many of you posting here are no doubt too young to remember 1996 (the Centenary Season, by the way!) and the last year of Fitzroy. As Jaded has often pointed out, our membership and supporters can be fickle and pedestrian in their support, the Club needs to give them a reason to want to be there, as 'bub rightly says. But history tells us, we aren't afraid to vote ourselves out of existence - I'm sure the AFL remember this!

I agree, and you make a good point. However I put this to you. If the AFL wants to maximise crowd numbers at all games, which was the issue this journalist was raising, then how do they let Geelong play down at Skilled Stadium? That is a ground with a maximum crowd potential of around 20000. Now if they moved their game to Telstra Dome or even the MCG, then they would probably get at least 40 to 50,000. Just because they are premiership winners and we are potential wooden spooners does not mean we should be treated worse.

To qoute the journalist "After eight years of failing to move games to maximise crowds, the AFL barely needs to state that its accepted policy is not to switch games to allow the most numbers of fans to attend matches."

What the article indicates to me is that Gough would like to have the Essendon/Geelong game at the 'G' and Melbourne/Bulldogs moved to the Dome. Remember, Gough is acting in the interests of the MCG as an entity not the MCC's dwindling number of aligned MFC supporters and certainly not Melbourne. Also he is a former Carlton CEO so I doubt he would give two hoots about the MFC.

The only way we'll start getting good crowds is by playing exciting, passionate football. Based on last weeks effort, that doesn't look like its going to happen anytime soon.

To qoute the journalist "After eight years of failing to move games to maximise crowds, the AFL barely needs to state that its accepted policy is not to switch games to allow the most numbers of fans to attend matches."

What the article indicates to me is that Gough would like to have the Essendon/Geelong game at the 'G' and Melbourne/Bulldogs moved to the Dome. Remember, Gough is acting in the interests of the MCG as an entity not the MCC's dwindling number of aligned MFC supporters and certainly not Melbourne. Also he is a former Carlton president so he would not give two hoots about the MFC.

I stand corrected. Haha, perhaps I need to read things twice :huh:

Anyone notice at the MCG on Sunday on the big screen, it actually said "Melbourne V Western Bulldogs at Telstra Dome in Round 2." Perhaps the MCC's hidden message to the AFL?

I don't know if these figures are true or not, but as part of the Red and Blue Army initiative, the club is trying to reach 250,000 Melbourne fans... 250,000?? :o

If every MCC member who barracks for Melbourne bought the $40 membership (or however much it is), we'd easily reach our target of 30,000.

Heavens! Well said!

The only way we'll start getting good crowds is by playing exciting, passionate football. Based on last weeks effort, that doesn't look like its going to happen anytime soon.

Correction: exciting, HARD football.