Brock Mclean vs Nathan Jones

Yencks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brock is a better footballer in terms of skills (a much better kick).

Jones is a far more consistent player. You could argue that he is Melbourne's most consistent player, as he is yet to have a really bad game.

Even though many will disagree, I think we're lucky to have them both. As after years of not being able to get near the ball in the middle, we now have two players who love the contest and can really find the ball in close (even if they lack some leg speed and can look one dimensional).

I like that Bailey rested them both up forward during the match yesterday, it is a better option than always sending them to the bench especially as they can both add much needed pressure to our forward line.

• 4 weeks later...
How was his disposal ?

HE KICKED 4 GOALS! :o

Jones does spray it sometimes, but this bloke is pure heart and determination i love him :wub:

Brocks still more valuable though, elite engine, tough, good foot skills, leadership qualities and a few years of development.. hes the most valuable player on our list (but isnt worth more then $300,000 per year) atm.. MY question is.. WHOS TAKING UP OUR CAP?! - surely we must be in breach for not paying enough this year... :blink:

• 6 months later...

BUMP

its funny how i started this topic in early december for something to talk about in the off season and back then it was pretty even but now suddenly after 2 games...nathan jones is clearly more popular

its now funny/interesting how much this has probably changed again

now i think brock mclean would be clearly ahead in almost everyones books but it just shows, how much some of us have rated jones in the past

in december last year, mclean was more popular, two rounds in this year, jones was more popular and now mclean i think would be miles ahead and i cant see this changing, we'll have to wait and see what happens in 2009

edit:

MY question is.. WHOS TAKING UP OUR CAP?! - surely we must be in breach for not paying enough this year... :blink:

we now know

1) Jeff White

2) Adem Yze

3) Nathan Carroll

I think Brock has always been more valuable than Jones, he's smarter and better skilled than Jones but Jones should not be discounted. A lot of people have been getting into him and bagging him this year, it's been a tough one for him but you've got to remember that for about half the year he would've been taking the first tag. This is a 20 year old we're talking about for crying out loud!

I see him as our new Jmac type player for the next 10 years, he will always go out there and throw his body in at the contest and give 100% every time. Skills will improve and although he will never be Speedy Gonzales, he just needs to get a bit more awareness when receiving and disposing of the ball.

Brock is our best midfielder, and i can't believe that's ever been in contention in the last 12 months.

EDIT: in bold!

Guest Schtacker

Brocksteady comfortably at this stage. He hasn't had a chance to get anywhere near his best yet but he has just entered prime footballing years and he will be very good in future IMO. As for Jones, whoever said that he is one of a kind earlier in the thread is right - he's a pack beaver with enormous potential - chuck in Grimes, Morton, Davey, Buckley and Moloney, maybe Sylvia plus more good picks our midfield could really be anything in a few years

:)

Brock easily.

Not to say I don't like Jones or anything.

But Mclean

A) Gets to more contests

B) is better at getting the ball or forcing a 50/50 when he's there

C) uses the ball better when he's got it

and

D) is a more effective on field leader.

Jones could yet be a first rate player, but Brock simply is one.

I still think Mclean has greater capacity to break games open. I also think he has an intensity on the field which can shift the mental state of other players, friend and foe. A fierce presence which could be priceless in a grand final, or in a tight game any time.

For me the defining feature of Jones is relentless effort. Not every game has been great, not every clearance has been effective, but he is always in there - you can see so clearly that he never thinks 'that can be someone elses job'. I'd speculate that he will become a magnificently consistent performer hovering among the 'bests' list in almost every game.

Looking into the rose-coloured crystal ball, I see a Norm Smith Medal for Mclean, and five podium finishes in the Brownlow for Jones (Scott West style - though the shiny head might get him the extra 5%).

If I had to pick one to have the flu for a single must-win game, Jones would go out. But I'd be miserable about it.

Brock easily.

But Mclean

A) Gets to more contests

and

DD, it seems that u have been correct all the way through up until now

Brock easily.

But Mclean

A) Gets to more contests

and

Generally agree but neither Brock or Jones are a first rate player. They may both become such over the course of their careers but they are not there yet. Here's hoping.

In fairness to Jones its his fourth season coming up while McLean is in his sixth season. Injuries aside, McLean should be coming into the prime of his career and I am interested to see what that delivers in the coming years.

In fairness to Jones its his fourth season coming up while McLean is in his sixth season. Injuries aside, McLean should be coming into the prime of his career and I am interested to see what that delivers in the coming years.

Brock stood up this year and showed us a glimpse of what he is capable of. Unfortunatley a broken ankle cut that short as he was gathering momentum week by week.

Jones was tagged heavily with little protection. Some don't but I rate Jones' footskills and general disposal. Yes he had many glaring clangers this season (which are the ones we remember the most) but I put these down to immense pressure form the opposition, especially taggers coupled with a severe lack of protection in the middle and exhaustion as one of our few ball winners, especially the further the season went on this was glaringly evident.

This is why I cannot understand some of the crap C. Morton recieves. Maybe he has gone under the radar a bit but seriously what an incredible season for a first year 18yo from across the other side of the country. 18yo's MAKE CLANGERS UNLESS YOU ARE C. JUDD. Seriously, Morton was our main ball carrier for much of the year, or course he's going to make errors for exactly the same reasons that N. Jones does. Opposition pressure in this day and age is nigh on impossible to fully comprehend from the stands. I can't remember an 18yo making a bigger impact for this club from the get go. Imagine if he played for Geelong. he would have had all the time, space and protection in the world and would have run rings around his opponents.

Brock stood up this year and showed us a glimpse of what he is capable of. Unfortunatley a broken ankle cut that short as he was gathering momentum week by week.

Jones was tagged heavily with little protection. Some don't but I rate Jones' footskills and general disposal. Yes he had many glaring clangers this season (which are the ones we remember the most) but I put these down to immense pressure form the opposition, especially taggers coupled with a severe lack of protection in the middle and exhaustion as one of our few ball winners, especially the further the season went on this was glaringly evident.

This is why I cannot understand some of the crap C. Morton recieves. Maybe he has gone under the radar a bit but seriously what an incredible season for a first year 18yo from across the other side of the country. 18yo's MAKE CLANGERS UNLESS YOU ARE C. JUDD. Seriously, Morton was our main ball carrier for much of the year, or course he's going to make errors for exactly the same reasons that N. Jones does. Opposition pressure in this day and age is nigh on impossible to fully comprehend from the stands. I can't remember an 18yo making a bigger impact for this club from the get go. Imagine if he played for Geelong. he would have had all the time, space and protection in the world and would have run rings around his opponents.

Can't agree with you more, if we can get some confidence imagine what blokes like Mclean, Grimes, Morton, Jones, Buckley could be in a couple of years. Who knows with a bit of luck and a good year from our top 2 (Mclean and jones) we could even be knocking on the door of the 8.

• 10 months later...