Freo Delistings

Diablo

Dockers cut five including Walker, Haddrill - Footygoss

"Fremantle announced changes to their 2008 playing list on Monday afternoon with five senior-listed players and two rookies delisted.

After 151 games in ten years, utility James Walker was cut, while seasoned campaigner Robert Haddrill was also axed after 58 matches in six years at Fremantle.

Inexperienced trio Ryley Dunn, Calib Mourish and Clayton Collard were also cut from the main squad, while rookies Darren Rumble and Benet Copping were not offered contract extensions."

Any interest in any of these blokes? I know a few of the people on here were interested in Ryley Dunn, and the suggestion was that we were considering him in '03. From my understanding he has been crucified by injuries.

Not particularly keen on any myself, but ...

Discuss.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dockers cut five including Walker, Haddrill - Footygoss

"Fremantle announced changes to their 2008 playing list on Monday afternoon with five senior-listed players and two rookies delisted.

After 151 games in ten years, utility James Walker was cut, while seasoned campaigner Robert Haddrill was also axed after 58 matches in six years at Fremantle.

Inexperienced trio Ryley Dunn, Calib Mourish and Clayton Collard were also cut from the main squad, while rookies Darren Rumble and Benet Copping were not offered contract extensions."

Any interest in any of these blokes? I know a few of the people on here were interested in Ryley Dunn, and the suggestion was that we were considering him in '03. From my understanding he has been crucified by injuries.

Not particularly keen on any myself, but ...

Discuss.

Collard is interesting - second round pick in last year's draft and delisted already.

I remember reading a profile on Collard last year before the draft, said something along the lines of him having all the skills but was "painfully shy" and naive about the requirements of AFL footy players. I wonder if his personality was the cause of his failure.

Collard is interesting - second round pick in last year's draft and delisted already.

I thought he was supposed to be a bargain if he went that late.

I recall he was touted as a 1st rounder.

At last we are seeing some possible quality around our picks.

I would hope we would punt on another tall Forward like Riley Dunn.

Im still hurting from getting Jamie Shanahan at our number one when Shannon Grant who went at two said he wouldnt want to go to Melbourne. So we took Shanahan.

Found it:

COLLARD, Clayton (31 Fremantle) (13)

Highly skilled midfielder/ flanker. Painfully shy and naive about the workload required for AFL so will need quality mentoring but definitely has AFL ability. Query re ability to adapt so is some risk but he has big upside, class and some X-factor. Other main selling points are X-factor, smarts / vision, clean hands, evasion, balance, overhead. Trademarks are (1) Vacuum the ball off the carpet on the run, take on and perhaps make a fool of the oncoming opponent, then dob a nice goal or set a team mate up to do so, (2) Screamer. He might lose concentration before getting to the last page of the team's play book but, for every hair he might make you tear out, he'll give you a moment where you will feel smug that he is on your list. Has mainly played outside roles (HFF) but I am confident he will furnish into an inside mid option in time if/when he can get his endurance up enough. I compare him in style somewhat to Tyson Edwards but I also think he will be able (in time) to play all the roles that Tyson has played. Has always lived in the shadow, on and off-field, of his best mate, Jetta, It's often "Jetta, the star footballer, and his mate Collard". If both play AFL and get the most out of themselves, I believe Jetta will be the better player but with Collard probably not far behind. There seems a tendency in recruiting circles to talk as if Jetta is Collard's better performed younger brother. However Collard was the better performed in WAFL Seniors, was also named in '06 WA Seniors (!) state squad, and Jetta is actually 5 months older. On sheer ability, I rate Collard's AFL potential as "Definite" and only one aspect made me downgrade him to "Likely", viz "How well and quickly is he likely to settle in and feel like he belongs?". My only other significantly concern is the O.P. he has been battling. His DC weight was listed as 86kg but his fighting weight would currently be around 80kg. He "couldn't" (?) keep himself in good condition while suffering O.P. late season. Career-wise, Collard and Jetta getting split up into different states may be the best thing for both boys. Clayton can stop living in Leroy's shadow and that will be a watershed point in his development. I would definitely have been prepared to draft him with a pick around my ranking if necessary (not that it ever would have been). Assuming he settles in reasonably OK (!!), I am confident Collard will make as big a splash as most of this draft's first rounders, perhaps ready to debut in '07.

So I'm guessing he didn't settle in "reasonable OK" then.

Franky, Dunn's a midfielder I believe.

Found it:

It's a shame that Collard had to go to probably the second-poorest club in the league in terms of discipline. Sounds like he might have been a bit of a gun.

And yes, Dunn is a midfielder. From memory he was the hard-at-it, stocky type.

Found it:

Thanks for that Nash. I couldn't remember if it was Collard or Jetta that was the flakey one. It was Jetta, which is why I'm surprised Collard was delisted after only 12 months. It raises suspicions about "off field" issues. I guess CC would know.

Yes, interesting. He was their first pick to as they traded for Tarrant. Without knowing anything about it I think the message is "keep out".

There has to be a story why a team with their first youth pick in the draft at 31 (2nd rounder) have delisted the player within 12 months. As Graz said I hope CAC will know the lowdown.

Good pick up Nash. Some of Collard's weaknesses came to the fore.

Walker, Haddrill and Dunn......I cant get excited by them at all.

Grant was a trade to NM for Schwass wasn't he?

Joel Smith was No 2 in the PSD.

Correct. It was rumoured that he wanted to come to the Dees because of family connections... He chose North and was swapped for Schwass... the old family barracks for the MFC scenario... :angry:

Hmmm....

This Collard guy, he'd still be eligible for the Rookie list, wouldn't he?

Minimum amount of risk for the club, up to two years for him to find his feet and maturity, still trains at full rate and lives amongst football without too much hype.

Might work. Based on what I've heard here, I'd pick him up with a rookie selection.

What i have also found interesting is that they only gave Calib Mourish one year on their list as well. Their probably thinking that if the draftees don't show much promise in their 1st year at the club then they'll get rid of them, imo Collard was a promising junior and if he was painfully shy and naive about the workload required for AFL why would they draft him so early in the first place. :huh:

or he might know sufficient to leave them alone ???

In other articles it points out that Collard, Mourish and Dunn are all being invited back for preseason training which indicates they will try to put them on their Rookie list. So they haven't given up on the players, they just want to give them more time in the system without being on the senior list. The risk of this though is someone can rookie or draft any of them before Fremantle can redraft them.

imo Collard was a promising junior and if he was painfully shy and naive about the workload required for AFL

Is that just a nice way of saying he's lazy.

On draft day, i remember Collard was being talked about as being a (mentally) fragile person.

i have raved about this bloke for years.. from the days i use to watch him at under 18s at murray bushrangers till now. Ryley Dunn is a must get!! i rate him as hard as brock mclean and quicker then him. his skills are just as good and tends to get big bag os possessions. so far his career has been ruined by injurys. a super fit Ryley Dunn is devastating!

i have raved about this bloke for years.. from the days i use to watch him at under 18s at murray bushrangers till now. Ryley Dunn is a must get!! i rate him as hard as brock mclean and quicker then him. his skills are just as good and tends to get big bag os possessions. so far his career has been ruined by injurys. a super fit Ryley Dunn is devastating!

If he is worth picking up, Chris Connolly will know! Personally, do we need another injury prone player though?

In the five senior games he's played in four years he averages only 4.1 possessions per game. Injuries aside, he hasn't found the ball when he's been picked. I don't know what his WAFL form is like, but 2003 was a long time ago.

look he pretty much has been injured through out his career.. like sylvia but dunns is worse! i have seen him play plenty of times before and like i said once he is fully fit and a new change he will be a out and out gun

look he pretty much has been injured through out his career.. like sylvia but dunns is worse! i have seen him play plenty of times before and like i said once he is fully fit and a new change he will be a out and out gun

If he is getting 4 possessions a game over four years he must have been out and out injured. And four years injured is at least 3 years too many in AFL.