• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Rumour: Gardner to Step Down

rolling fog

'Crackers' Keenan said on the radio this morning that he believed that Gardner is going to step down sometime next week to make way for a wealthy, or has considerable backing from somewhere, past player. He wasn't too specific and thats all I caught, anyone heard anything further? or to the contrary?

The second time we've heard this in a couple of weeks. Could be some substance to it, though 'Crackers' is more likely living up to his alias.

I would hate to see Gardner go, as I think he has done a good job overall. That said I wouldn't complain about a sugar daddy, past player or not, provided they have the nous to run the joint effectively. In any case, if there has to be a change of president, this is definitely the best way for it to happen. The challenge rubbish that we have endured in the past, and the recent situations at St Kilda and Essendon, only serves to drive people away in droves.

Gardner has done a very good job IMO, if this were to be the reason he steps down now or in the future i'm sure most of us would be happy.

I'd be very surprised if it were to happen though!

'Crackers' Keenan said on the radio this morning that he believed that Gardner is going to step down sometime next week to make way for a wealthy, or has considerable backing from somewhere, past player. He wasn't too specific and thats all I caught, anyone heard anything further? or to the contrary?

Wow - the return of Brian Dixon and Joe Gutnick :lol:

on demonolgy someone heard a rumour on radio that we were drpping the demons from our name? we would be known as Melbourne FC . Soccer influence? i would be VERY sad if this happened. Go the DEES.

on demonolgy someone heard a rumour on radio that we were drpping the demons from our name? we would be known as Melbourne FC . Soccer influence? i would be VERY sad if this happened. Go the DEES.
Agree entirely...I am fast becoming tired of the ever-increasing trend towards blandness at MFC. The suggested new logo is a shocker, and any move to drop Demons / Dees infavour of Melbourne FC is a joke. What are they on about ???? I want to see some passion.....

:angry:

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Frank Hughes would spin in his grave, and it would greatly diminish my love for the club.

But it's not gonna happen so . . .

I am fast becoming tired of the ever-increasing trend towards blandness at MFC. The suggested new logo is a shocker, and any move to drop Demons / Dees in favour of Melbourne FC is a joke. What are they on about ????

So why do you translate a totally unsubstantiated rumour into an opportunity to bag the club, as if it's true?

Gardner. Has been fantastic, and has, at leats to the public been hugely respected and professional in the public eye. If he HAS to leave this would be a sensationsal way for it to happen. And the main reason I say that is that if he leaves on his own terms, and it all goes belly up with whoever takes over, there's no reason why he couldn't be asked to reprise his role. Unlike Gutnick and others who were kicked out, challenged, and basically were [censored] off in the process of leaving, Gardner won't be shunned... In other words, strength in numbers.

Now on the "demons" thing: While technically we haven't been called the demons for the entire history of MFC, it would be utterly shameful to drop it now, not to mention just plain dangerous and problematic when you consider our trouble with identity. If a fresh start is what we need, look to the new facilities, and not to our mascot. Leave the fans something in our gloom.

We are the demons. That at least has never been negotiable.

I doubt they would drop the Demons moniker, simply commence refering to the club as Melbourne FC or MFC more often.

We would still be the Demons but players and officials would make a concious effort to refer to us as the stated instead. I think its a good idea and should help the branding of the club in a national competition with the Team Melbourne thing taking flight soon

There is nothing wrong with trying to brand the club as 'Melbourne FC' as opposed to 'The Demons.' They're not going to change the nickname, but making 'Melbourne' more prominent is a way of trying to cement ourselves with a name that will always play in the AFL.

Melbourne is the home of footy and there will always be a Melbourne, we just have to make sure they are called the Demons (however prominent the moniker) and wear the red and the blue.

There was a side argument on Demonology that we should identify ourselves more as Demons to give ourselves the option of relocation, like the Kangaroos have done. What a load of bullsh!t. If we did that it would be the beginning of the end, if we haven't begun already.

The club, however, knows that the name 'Melbourne' is our insurance and are working to strengthen that.

There is nothing wrong with trying to brand the club as 'Melbourne FC' as opposed to 'The Demons.' They're not going to change the nickname, but making 'Melbourne' more prominent is a way of trying to cement ourselves with a name that will always play in the AFL.

Melbourne is the home of footy and there will always be a Melbourne, we just have to make sure they are called the Demons (however prominent the moniker) and wear the red and the blue.

There was a side argument on Demonology that we should identify ourselves more as Demons to give ourselves the option of relocation, like the Kangaroos have done. What a load of bullsh!t. If we did that it would be the beginning of the end, if we haven't begun already.

The club, however, knows that the name 'Melbourne' is our insurance and are working to strengthen that.

The "rebranding" of the MFC as Melbournefc began not long after S Harris became CEO. Theory is to make MFC a strong brand following the Man United model. The Admin deleted the word demons from all the supported groups. I chaired one we were branding Demon Business at the time. The "we are Melbourne" thing with the other "Melbourne" teams is a continuation of that theme.

Whilst promoting the Melbourne aspect in branding is welcome it should not have meant sacrificing the Demons aspects such as "Go Dees" slogan which all AFL supporters wre aware of.

There is no valid reason why both themes can not continue to co-exist!

The flawed logic is that theatre goer supporters MFC wants to attract will be confused by use of phrases such as Go Dees etc. There is no real evidence to support this in AFL or other codes. eg south sydny does not suffer from use of the Rabbitohs in its promotion. there is also very little evidence that the attempt to take the MFC upmarket as a prestigious brand Melbournefc has produced any increase in membership numbers for the club.

Not sure what the debate on Demonology was but the possibility of the "Darwin Demons" still scares us!!!

Doubt PG will leave on the verge of the 150th unless due to business pressures and if he does would only be if able to hand over to someone capable. Need to ensure any incoming Chairman has not been having any business meetings on mobile phones or in car parks though (or is that limited to Lygon st and Princes Park region???) :lol:

both rumors about Paul Gardner (last week) and changing the name Dees to MFC (today) were on 3AW.

Can you imagine yelling out GO MFC, doesn't have the same ring as GO DEES !!!!!

Also Paul Gardner rang through to 3AW ( from overseas) and assured all supporters/members he WOULD be there in 2008 in our special 150th year, BUT did not mention anything about 2009 !!!!

we have plenty of supporters with money, but im not sure how many of them want to be front line, putting money into the club and running it like other clubs seem to get...we had gutnick and we got his money...i'll tell you what tho, if i ever was worth 100million you can bet your bottom dollar that a chunk of that would be going the mfc's way...

i'm all for the whole MFC thing...as if we won's still call them the demons and the mascot wont change, it will just be good to help our name and branding and all of that crap. we will still say "go dees" at the footy, it's just we want to be more identifyable which is fair enough

i'm all for the whole MFC thing...as if we won's still call them the demons and the mascot wont change, it will just be good to help our name and branding and all of that crap. we will still say "go dees" at the footy, it's just we want to be more identifyable which is fair enough

kind of like carlton? when they say go blues etc..

This is actually correct. From 2008, in an official sense, we will not be the Melbourne Demons. We will be MELBOURNEfc.

Thats not to say we are not the Demons. Its just our branding will not have Demons attached.

Junior merchandising will still use 'Ronald Deeman' etc - and we are still the 'Dees', but the Demon head logo is gone.

Thats not to say we are not the Demons.

Well thank god......

I mean what would all those creative media types do without those fantastic headlines we see far too often - "Dee-Moralised", "Dee-Structive" or "Dee-Molish"

Seriously it would the end of the journalistic world as we know it ;) !!!

Gardner is GOLD! He has really turned the club around off field. I really do not care about "wealthy" know it alls who wish to ocme in and run a footy club. remember the gutnik years? Anyone with wealth can take over a board, but running it is a different story.Gardner is doing a fantastic job, i hope to see him run this club for the next 5-7 years.

This is actually correct. From 2008, in an official sense, we will not be the Melbourne Demons. We will be MELBOURNEfc.

Thats not to say we are not the Demons. Its just our branding will not have Demons attached.

Junior merchandising will still use 'Ronald Deeman' etc - and we are still the 'Dees', but the Demon head logo is gone.

Mick wrote an article about it if you wish to read it ...

MELBOURNEfc Article