Judd's Worth

w00dy

Melbourne was involved in one of the biggest coups in the 80's in getting 2 of the biggest names to the club - Peter Moore and Kelvin Templeton. Moore was a gun and won his Brownlow with the Dees but unfortunately the medical staff didn't do their homework on Templeton - his knees and ankles were gone and he could only kick about 40 metres and was a big waste of money.

Actually Moore won the second of his Brownlows at us, a rare feat for players to win a Brownlow at two clubs.

Could history repeat itself if Judd came to Melbourne and won a second Charlie?

Templeton had a handful of good games for the Dees, if that, what a bust!

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually Moore won the second of his Brownlows at us, a rare feat for players to win a Brownlow at two clubs.

Could history repeat itself if Judd came to Melbourne and won a second Charlie?

Templeton had a handful of good games for the Dees, if that, what a bust!

He also gave back a large chunk of the money we paid to him. I rate Templeton far more than I did Peter Moore. I was at the Junction oval when he tried to smash Brad Gotch through the advertising hording with a hip and shoulder.

smokey for me is hawthorn or the kangas, but im not sure if they will have what it takes to bargain with WC. geelong will be paying their own players too much, and so will collingwood imo.

With the Kangas move North seemingly only a matter of time, i doubt a player wishing to return to Melbourne would take the risk that he could be living on the Gold Coast within 5 years.

With the Kangas move North seemingly only a matter of time, i doubt a player wishing to return to Melbourne would take the risk that he could be living on the Gold Coast within 5 years.

Kangaroos along with the Bulldogs and Geelong have ruled themselves out. Saint Kilda would have trouble fitting him in their cap and Richmond by their own coaches admission won't be competitive until 2010. IMO that leaves five realistic destinations. Us, Hawthorn, Essendon, Carlton and the Pies.

There are 3 major hurdles here:

1- Does Chris Judd want to play for Melbourne, and is he likely to nominate us as his preferred club?

Positives: Young list, with a good future. Was a Melbourne supporter as a kid.

Negatives: We're a nothing club. We did just finish 14th

2- Can we pay Judd and have we got outside business sources that we can use to financially or otherwise lure Judd with?

Positives: If we get rid of one of TJ/Robbo and given that White, Neita and Junior are unlikely to play beyond 2008/09 we could back-end the contract for a couple of years

Negatives: We haven't got the money or pulling power or incentives that Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon can offer Judd

3- Can we satisfy the Eagle into making the deal?

Positive: We have early picks, a number of senior players we could part with, and a number of developing players that may interest West Coast

Negatives: We haven't got pick 1 or 2, we haven't got Fevola

Kangaroos along with the Bulldogs and Geelong have ruled themselves out. Saint Kilda would have trouble fitting him in their cap and Richmond by their own coaches admission won't be competitive until 2010. IMO that leaves five realistic destinations. Us, Hawthorn, Essendon, Carlton and the Pies.

I think you can eliminate Pies and Hawks as Eagles won't want Judd costing them a flag by being BOG against them in a GF. Also Eagles have a very poor relationship with Pies and would push Chris to one of the onther clubs. I still believe the deal is done with Carlton but we are certainly the opposition. Essendon do have a couple of Perth boys in Ryder and Gumbleton and their first pick with those two could tempt the Eagles.

Jaded - what incentives do Carlton have?

They have Dick Pratt... the man has a LOT of money, and power, and various business ventures which he can get Judd involved in.

Pratt will no doubt throw money at him, because he sure as hell can't throw recent on-field success at him! :rolleyes:

I don't see why Judd would want to go to Carlton when he clearly stated that he is after success. He is smarter than most football commentators, who all agree that Carlton have a long way to go before they are a force again. Another important point to remember is that Judd is an extremely private man. He hates media fuss, and he has already said he doesn't want to do media when he's in Melbourne. Can you just imagine the pressure that will be placed on him if he goes to Carlton? The media will immediately label him "the man to put Carlton back in the finals".

Does he want that? Who knows, maybe he wants a challenge and looks forward to helping a new team win a premiership.

There are a lot of 'sources' that claim that Judd is signed, sealed and will be delivered to Carlton soon. It doesn't add up to me, because Carlton and success have not been linked together for some time now.

they dropped that he is demon supporter in that article too

get Garry Lyon to pick him up from the airport when he has surgery this week

Get Jimmy Stynes to come in a chat with him at the hospital or in recovery

Robbie Flower and Ron Barassi to take him out for dinner or coffee, just to chat about the clubs history, what it means to them

THEN

get dean bailey and chris connelly (who im sure he knows, could be a plus) to have a chat with him, with neita and brocky dropping in near the end of the chat, just to introduce themselves :D

if this doesnt sway him to preferring melbourne as his destination, then its not going to happen

Mark Robinson has reported on SEN that strong word out of the West is that Judd has already decided on either Collingwood or Carlton.

Not sure about this as Judd said at his press conference 4 and half hours ago that he hadn't even contemplated which team he wanted to go to and would decide over the next week or so.

He is not coming to Melbourne.

I was right on Dean Bailey, and I've been wrong before, but we do not look like the club he wants to come to. Other clubs are much more attractive to him, his manager and West Coast. :mellow:

Mark Robinson has reported on SEN that strong word out of the West is that Judd has already decided on either Collingwood or Carlton.

LOL

Mark Robinson. Thre bloke knows nothing

Judd will play for Melbourne, nobody else

Collingwood is the outsider if the Judd/MFC combo falls through, but it wont

How can I know this yet paid journalists have no idea?

How can I know this yet paid journalists have no idea?

In fairness, you have Ken MacGregor at CHB in a prospective 2008 team.

That's probably your first mistake though, you've been good otherwise :lol: :D

In fairness, you have Ken MacGregor at CHB in a prospective 2008 team.

That's probably your first mistake though, you've been good otherwise :lol: :D

K Mac will be like Anthony Ingerson all over again

He will be an inspired pickup, if Bailey gets him

I hope he does

He is not coming to Melbourne.

I was right on Dean Bailey, and I've been wrong before, but we do not look like the club he wants to come to. Other clubs are much more attractive to him, his manager and West Coast. :mellow:

In what way are other clubs more attractive to him?

I ask because I am quite surprised by the lack of media attention we're getting with this Judd issue.

Are we not in a position, having pick 4 at our disposal and a new coach, to go after him?

In what way are other clubs more attractive to him?

I ask because I am quite surprised by the lack of media attention we're getting with this Judd issue.

Are we not in a position, having pick 4 at our disposal and a new coach, to go after him?

Well its the same old story isn't it. We're not worth the paper the article about us would be printed on. Which is just another reason why we need to go hell for leather to get Judd. A statement desperately needs to be made.

Mark Robinson is an uninformed troll. I wouldn't trust anyone from that tabloid paper as far as I could throw them. Damien Barrett is about the only one with any sort of clue.

I must admit... should we be his desired destination, then there is as much chance of Dees getting him as anyone. we simply arent the glamour option..

Carlton can wave their moeny and pick 1 around but it wil be down to Chris to direct where negotiatios take place.

if its us.. then be prepared for someone goinf west...hope they like reds and surf !!!

Whether its right or wron teh fact we dont have better trade picks than Carlton may influence the outocme. The Blue baggers certainly didnt do themselves any harm did they. Time will tell.

Why do i sense that if CJ ( the Mesiah to us apprently ) comes it will be as a result of a very convoluted deal. i.e more than 2 teams involved.