The Tobie Travaglia Thread

Tobie Travaglia is definitely a youngster on the list for pick “9”.  

187cm running half back , can develop also into a running midfielder

plays like (imv) Trent Rivers 

good runner with burst of speed 

I like that he runs and kicks and doesn’t use his wrong foot… kicking efficiency is high 

just turning 18yrs late October 2024

ran 6.13mins in 2kms time trial at combine to finish 2nd 

Coates league - 12 games, averaged 24 possessions and 6 tackles for Bendigo Pioneers 

Finished 8th in Morrish Medal

HBF in Coates league team of the year 

Was versatile, playing back, mid and spending time forward 

Active voice and good young leader 

Played national championships for Vic country 
Played some VFL for Carlton as a 17yo this year and looked impressive 

Edited by spirit of norm smith
Z
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

I think he’s a gun and would improve our backline from round one next year. Can see the River comparisons but feel Tobie is much better in the air. 

If we get a mid bull at 5 I think Tobie or Lindsay at 9 makes the most sense. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Colm said:

I think he’s a gun and would improve our backline from round one next year. Can see the River comparisons but feel Tobie is much better in the air. 

If we get a mid bull at 5 I think Tobie or Lindsay at 9 makes the most sense. 

We are in agreement.  This is why I started this thread.  He’s the kind of youngster that just looks ready to go and works well in the modern game.  Run and carry and second efforts and versatility.  Good skills. Good mark.  Good pace. Good tackler. Might be our lock in at “9” if available.  

• Like 2

He showed so much improvement this year (noting that he won last years B&F for Bendigo ahead of Harley), and was so competitive on field, I reckon he will get as much out of himself as possible. 

I agree Daz, I think he’ll take off once in an AFL system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Reckon he's upside is enormous. He's got Will Day like traits that I think under a professional environment he could explode in a few years time.

Yep definitely a lot of Will Day about him with a bit more dash I'd say.

Will be a terrific rebounding defender with his pace and ball use. But he also marks really well above his height grade as an intercept defender. Super competitive and from all accounts a great leader down back. I think eventually he'll move into the midfield much like Haydn Young and Day with their progression.

If we miss out on Tauru this is my preferred next best option at 9.

Edited by Young Blood
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, DubDee said:

Toby spelt with an ie?

Not sure about this

At the very least his parents are poor decision makers 

Travaglia sounds like an Italian name. Y does not exist in the Italian language. Though I don’t think thats why they spelt it that way or know if they are Italian. Too many parents don’t adhere to established or common name spelling principles for their children these days. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, John Crow Batty said:

Travaglia sounds like an Italian name. Y does not exist in the Italian language. Though I don’t think thats why they spelt it that way or know if they are Italian. Too many parents don’t adhere to established or common name spelling principles for their children these days. 

Yep.

He and Alixzander would make a good kwinnellah then.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, RedFox said:

As a few others have mentioned this pick makes sense due to McVee and Rivers moving up the ground. Can anyone comment on his lockdown ability? Looks clean and quick which JT will love.

Defensively is very sound, his competitiveness would be one of his best attributes combined with his athleticism and intercepting I actually see him as more of a defensive half back than an attacking half back, in a similar mould to Maynard. His ball use is decent but not elite at the moment, he needs to improve in that area to be an elite attacking weapon off half back or in the midfield.

On 20/10/2024 at 11:00, Mouseymoo said:

I love him. Looks like a classic J.T special!

Good linking play, looks to have some pace - he's a ball hunter, doest stop running, can easily see him  progressing to a midfield role. 

Big yes from me if he makes it to 9

Intercept enthusiasm and effect are both superb. Has got the talents to run, dispose, run on, deliver. I like the boy ... apologies to Bert Newton and Muhammad Ali.  But this boy has real speed and take-off!

1 hour ago, Gawndog98 said:

Defensively is very sound, his competitiveness would be one of his best attributes combined with his athleticism and intercepting I actually see him as more of a defensive half back than an attacking half back, in a similar mould to Maynard. His ball use is decent but not elite at the moment, he needs to improve in that area to be an elite attacking weapon off half back or in the midfield.

Way to turn me off him!  🤮

• Haha 1