POSTGAME: Rd 24 vs Collingwood

1 hour ago, Wodjathefirst said:

I’ll start on a positive.  The only highlight being at the G  last night was giving that dirty filthy mongrel [censored] Maynard all that he deserved. Well done demon supporters. Good job!

The bad, it’s all been said above.

The worst. Listening to that germ Derm on SEN whilst watching the game. Have never come across a more pompous full of himself [censored] that loves himself and hates Melbourne with a vengeance. He was at his deplorable worst last night.

Glad the season is over. (Go GWS in the finals)

yeah like to see hogan be premiership player      .. duuno why but i do

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

The real question is.

Which pub has Andy booked for the DL mad Monday?

We get a longer preseason, looking forward to it. 

The Bleak House Hotel in Albert Park sounds appropriate.

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I just think we lacked motivation last night. It was really disappointing but anyway can the afl just fixture us against the pies once for kings birthday.

I've had enough of the filth & there fans.

Anyway at least we don't have to hear or see them this year again 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Well, so it ends.

From the Oliver trade story 11 months ago, into Joel Smith, into copping a fixture that we now can see was as difficult as could be, into Gus, we had an off-season we all wanted to believe we'd put behind us, but which ultimately wrecked us before we even set foot onto the SCG for Opening Round.

At the absolute least, the capitulation from 6-2 and 4th on the ladder after Round 8 to 11-12 and in the bottom 6 with a sub-100% percentage tells us that we do not have the right list, coaching staff and general approach to contend, so it forces us to change. We can't sit still, make list changes at the fringes, and go again.

Already seen a stack of posters going on about getting a key forward. That's not the number one issue. The number one issue is, and has been all year, our midfield. Even assuming Trac and Clarry get back to their peak levels next year, we don't have enough depth or support through the middle, nor do we have anywhere near enough quality ball users. We need a complete re-think of how we approach the midfield in 2025.

After the midfield, I don't want an A-grade forward as much as I want a cheap third tall who can ruck and therefore allow us to stop rucking JVR. It's wasting his development. I don't hate Petty as a forward as much as others (although I find it hard to run that argument when we gave him 20 games this year for 9 goals) but if the consequence of getting a proper second ruck is that we have to play Petty back, that's not exactly a bad thing. 

And the other thing I care about? Our fitness. We didn't have repeat soft tissue injuries but we also didn't look fit enough for most of the year. We won just 10 of our 23 fourth quarters, which is a shadow of the side we were in 2021-23. Whatever approach we took to fitness this year failed IMO. 

Let's celebrate the wins of the year (getting Windsor, Rivers in the middle, McVee again (but not as a mid), Gawn's hopeful 7th AA jacket) but acknowledge that on most measurements this was a failure.

Good and fairly accurate post not a lot of change needed in terms of throwing everything out, however the right changes are vital off field and a few experienced players need to be hit right between the eyes during exit interviews 

• Like 4

Thumbs down to ticketmaster last night. Transferred a ticket to my partner who scanned it and didn't work after i had already scanned and gone through. The issue was solved when in a state of WTFness I had her scan the digital ticket version for my own membership card and somehow it worked, go figure. 

Taking people to games is a fricken nightmare. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, von said:

Max is a soft leader?

1 hour ago, ElDiablo14 said:

I think what he wanted to say is that lacks mongrel? 

Yes, I love Max as player and as a captain. But he has very little mongrel in him. I can’t remember ever seeing him getting physical to stand up for one of our players. Not his style I guess and why should he when none of our players do it for him when the opposition target him all game both on and off the ball. 

11 minutes ago, Colm said:

Yes, I love Max as player and as a captain. But he has very little mongrel in him. I can’t remember ever seeing him getting physical to stand up for one of our players. Not his style I guess and why should he when none of our players do it for him when the opposition target him all game both on and off the ball. 

On the flip side, he cops a whack and sprints to the next contest ... "so what now what style" which is a excellent example for the players ... didn't matter in 2021

The fact both Daicos brothers easily got 40 possessions each sums up our season. 

49 minutes ago, Demons1858 said:

What's with the doom and gloom from last night ... we ended the pies finals chances by keeping them to an under 200 point win

Just to confirm … Dees were completely outclassed all night. It could have been 9 goals to 1 goal at quarter time. Bobby Hill was just toying with us.  It’s not the scoreboard but the dysfunctional strategy and skills were beyond bad.  Turnovers were simple mistakes.  They broke tackles.  We could break a tackle.  Viney shutdown by Sidebottom.  Daicos brothers had a birthday party. Only Gawn really stoodout as a true Demon warrior all night.  

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, 640MD said:

but IMO most of all in player management and rehabilitation. In terms of recovery, resting through the season, and selection for specific roles.

have we learnt nothing from 22, 23 and this year. It seems not, 

I also feel we didn't learn here.

The way Scott managed his older brigade through 2022 was pretty impressive.  You need luck with injuries too of course.

The quality of depth just wasn't there although i thought K Brown and Fullo could've been swapped in on at least a few occasions.

38 minutes ago, Colm said:

I'm sure I've seen him do it but it's obviously not a common occurrence. He's a tough leader in the way he goes about his footy and he leads by example in that respect... which is excellent. I've also seen Viney and Oliver (and to a lesser extent Sparrow) look out for Maxy in stoppages, but it seems to only be the case when we're playing well and everyone's up and about.

3 hours ago, Colm said:

One thing that gives me the [censored] every time we play the filth is our lack of mongrel and willingness to stand up for team mates. I’m not in the sack Goody camp but I’m convinced it’s down to him. We have players capable of flying the flag, Viney,JVR,Petty,Kossie,Melksham, and May amongst others but never show any fight. I’m convinced this is down to coaching, having a soft leader in Max probably doesn’t help. 

Collingwood shows a lot more in this regard and still managed to win the free kick count easy. Being harder and willing to stand up for team mates doesn’t mean playing outside of the rules. 
We need to get a tougher edge to us, getting a bit stronger and been able to stick some tackles wouldn’t be a bad thing either. 

If Max is a soft leader then I'm the pope.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Demonsterative said:

Gawd, Max is not coping it. 🤨🤔

Shoite supporter base we are….. 

13 minutes ago, Little Richard said:

I'm sure I've seen him do it but it's obviously not a common occurrence. He's a tough leader in the way he goes about his footy and he leads by example in that respect... which is excellent. I've also seen Viney and Oliver (and to a lesser extent Sparrow) look out for Maxy in stoppages, but it seems to only be the case when we're playing well and everyone's up and about.

8 minutes ago, layzie said:

If Max is a soft leader then I'm the pope.

Ok soft was probably the wrong choice of wording. The man will play on one leg. 
Let’s say non aggressive and doesn’t have much mongrel about him which my initial post was about. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colm said:

Ok soft was probably the wrong choice of wording. The man will play on one leg. 
Let’s say non aggressive and doesn’t have much mongrel about him which my initial post was about. 

Max isn’t an aggressive man. That should be celebrated on all levels. He has lots of mongrel. He hates losing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Demonsone said:

Yeah have posted a number of times our disastrous trades of the last 2 seasons  which are som playing @ Casey .. blowtorch needs to go on our recruitment & list mgt strategy 

As I said on another thread. List mgmt value the wrong things. They look for contested players but brush over on the required foot skills. We need to put skill execution at the top of the list as the most important factor on recruitment.

Edited by At the break of Gawn

1 hour ago, Demons1858 said:

What's with the doom and gloom from last night ... we ended the pies finals chances by keeping them to an under 200 point win

And i was able roll out a golden oldy sledge to the Pies fans that were sitting in a dese members area - 

"You are rubbish Collingwood - a half decent team would be 100 points up!!!!!!"

And i have to say i enjoyed contributing to the Collingwood chant - blending in:

"Missed the finals as flag wiiiiiiiiineeeeers"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

As I said on another thread. List mgmt value the wrong things. They look for contested players but brush over on the required foot skills. We need to put skill execution at the top of the list as the most important factor on recruitment.

I don’t really agree. The Hawthorn team that are on fire right now have a few really nice kicks at half back and D’Ambrosio on the wing. The Pies have Nick Daicos and Pendles. Then they both have some forwards who can finish. You don’t need a deep line up of really great kicks.

Where we’ve gone badly wrong is the deterioration of players who can two way run, tackle, chase, win contests in space and link up with hands.

When you do that the kicking becomes so much easier. We saw that in 2021. 

Its certainly a bit of a miracle that we won a flag without a single midfielder who’s a consistently above average kick, and we have to value skills but in terms of short term fixes we need the players and the game plan that covers a full ground.

• Like 3