Goodwin is the MAN!

9 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I hope so

He needs to add attack to his repertoire 

Huh? I’m talking about relationships and pathos. That’s what keeps these stars around. The gameplan will continue to evolve as they realise they can’t ’defence’ their way through. But the people side is most important right now.

Let Goodwin be Goodwin.

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

31 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Huh? I’m talking about relationships and pathos. That’s what keeps these stars around. The gameplan will continue to evolve as they realise they can’t ’defence’ their way through. But the people side is most important right now.

Let Goodwin be Goodwin.

It’s the whole package…

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Adam The God said:

What's this BS? Have you forgotten that we were the highest scoring team in 2018? Over 150 points more than the minor premiers and over 200 points more than the next highest club.

It's just patronising and disrespectful.

Not sure what 2018 has got to do with anything.

Needs to be judged over the full season including the West Coast capitulation, the Freo disaster & that he regularly gets outcoached by Voss & Longmuir.

• Like 2
  • Clap 2

Just now, Cranky Franky said:

Not sure what 2018 has got to do with anything.

SWYL posed the question of Goody's offensive capabilities. In 2018 we were the most attacking side in the comp.

• Like 2

Melbourne win/loss margins Geel
BL
NM
Haw
Rich
Ess
StK
GCS
Carl
Adel
WB
Coll
X PA
StK
Frem
WB
Geel
Adel
GCS
Syd
WCE
GWS

2018 rocked for scoring, Goodwin was crushing it with the team running off the back of the square. 2299 points for the year, 105 per game. The rules changed on him, you'd be a nuphy to forget we were a hard contested high scoring team.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Stat given on OTC said Melbourne has won more games than any other team over the last 4 years bar Brisbane, who are sans flag though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DEE fence said:
Melbourne win/loss margins Geel
BL
NM
Haw
Rich
Ess
StK
GCS
Carl
Adel
WB
Coll
X PA
StK
Frem
WB
Geel
Adel
GCS
Syd
WCE
GWS

2018 rocked for scoring, Goodwin was crushing it with the team running off the back of the square. 2299 points for the year, 105 per game. The rules changed on him, you'd be a nuphy to forget we were a hard contested high scoring team.

Not sure 6-6-6 had that great an impact. Centre clearances are only a part of it. We put extra numbers around the ball and cheated forward a lot. Would love to see us go back to that style. Our backline isn't nearly as shaky as it was back then so we probably pull it off even better these days.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Adam The God said:

What's this BS? Have you forgotten that we were the highest scoring team in 2018? Over 150 points more than the minor premiers and over 200 points more than the next highest club.

It's just patronising and disrespectful.

No it’s actually reality. Our Forward set uphas not been good enough since the Flag. 
Quoting 2018 is 6 years ago, and not relevant. The Game changes every year and i think Goodwin has been to defensively engaged since’21. Attacking is just as important as Defence & Contest. 
He must get the balance right 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

Our best two natural forwards Van Rooyn and KOssie are both spending time on the ball diluting their impact in the forward contest and pressure. Petty a natural defender is struggling to learn forward craft. 

Our forwards dont lead as our mids have for years just bombed it in to a contest. They dont look for the lead and rarely honour it when its made. Maybe we need a forward coach and not a ruck man. Stafford may be a great bloke and well liked but he really hasnt improved our attack.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

it was remiss of us yesterday not to acknowledge and celebrate the one year anniversary of this uplifting and joyous news that all us members and supporters received.

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/1413693/goodwin-signs-on#:~:text=MELBOURNE AFL Senior Coach Simon,contract extension with the club.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

it was remiss of us yesterday not to acknowledge and celebrate the one year anniversary of this uplifting and joyous news that all us members and supporters received.

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/1413693/goodwin-signs-on#:~:text=MELBOURNE AFL Senior Coach Simon,contract extension with the club.

Argh, good times 

On 19/08/2024 at 22:18, rpfc said:

Let Goodwin be Goodwin.

All well and 'Good' ... he can be the warm and fuzziness man.

Can we also get someone to educate footballers in a winning game plan ? 

24 went well eh... in the end not quick enough.

Why do any suspect 25, 26 , 27 will change from trend . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BDA said:

2025 is a big year for Goody. anything less than finals and his position will be untenable.

Don't have to wait until finals.

Watch very closely how we play the filth next time, it will be very telling of wether the things have changed or not.

50 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Premature extension, I was of the opinion that this shouldn't have happened before we knew our performance during finals.

• Like 4

personally i am not overly confident in goodwin producing another flag, he seems reluctant to make changes even when they are staring directly in the face. so we play players who are not playing well, we play players out of their natural positions, dont use the players we have well, dont adapt our game style when we are obviously getting over run by the opposition. we dont man up, our tackling is [censored] at times, we dont chase, we constantly kick long to contests where our forwards more often than not lose out rather than win. a lot of players especially in the back half can be very slow to move on the ball and when they do they kick in along the boundary where its often picked off by the opposition. some of these are player mistakes and some must be game plan otherwise they would not constantly be doing it. ie. you would have a runner out to the players everytime the dont follow instructions, so that next time they do as they are instructed.

• Like 3

Goodwin coaching career

2017 9th 12-10 miss finals by 0.5% 

2018 5th 14-8 Finals W W L (prelim) 👏

2019 17th 5-17

2020 9th 9-8 

2021 1st 17-4-1 Finals W W W  Premiership 🏆👏👏

2022 2nd 16-6 Finals L L

2023 4th 16-6 Finals L L 

2024 tbc 11-12

Melbourne over the last 7 years has had a pretty amazing player list, that we have supplemented with some good draft picks, or trades. That list is dwindling, the drafting and trading of players has probably not been as effective in the last couple of years and we are loosing key players to retirement, injury, or movement to other clubs. our window of opportunity is sadly diminishing. i truly hope the club can pull together and turn this around.

• Like 1

Goodwin should be replaced based on past performances, however he is likely to stay. A clean out of assistants is needed . We need to get a proper forward coach as a definite. For Trac to say he wants out, whether it is based on injury is of major concern. Our forwards are basically non existent we rely too much on Fritsch to kick goals , shut him down then we are totally r.s. We have Chandler,Fritta and Kossie (who also plays mid) as ineffective forwards. Petty and Turner defenders playing as ineffective forwards. We also have a lack of good reserves, ones who can step up. 

We have to look at being bold at selection and therefore make sacrifices. I would trade Kossie to Port, Petty and ANB to Adelaide. Would like to pick up Houston (P.A) Tilthorpe (adel) McRae (WB) and a young gun mid. Turner to keep on playing forward. Trac becomes a forward. Also I would trade Salem.

Lloyd on the Sunday Footy Show just now was saying that Goodwin needs to be able to present a plan internally to the club how he and the team can evolve and challenge again next season, to sell some optimism and if he thinks he can stick with his old game plan the board should find another coach right now. Fair call I say.

• Like 4
  • Clap 2

On 24/08/2024 at 09:24, BDA said:

anything less than finals and his position will be untenable

I think we need to win a final. (I'm absolutely amazed by how many supporters go with the "we put ourselves in a good position" line when talking about consecutive straight sets exits. It's like losing in a prelim and then saying "at least we won the minor premiership".)

The problem is, I don't think we have the list for it. We may on paper, but almost every one of our best players has a question mark over them:

Oliver - will he come back better (surely) or extremely good again (plausible but far from certain)?

Gawn - incredible that he's still playing this well after being battered for 200-odd games. He may just keep on going, but, entering his mid-30s, it's no certainty that he remains the best ruck in the comp. 

Petracca - even if he wants to be at the club, a Round 1 game would be surprising given how badly hurt he was in still is. 

May - amazing that he's got this far with his history of soft tissue injuries. And even if he's as good as ever, we need to stop relying on numerous Steven May contest miracles to win close games - it's completely unsustainable. 

Kozzie - I'm really optimistic about him, but three weeks without him at the beginning of the season is annoying. 

Viney and Salem - both make us a vastly better team, but only when they're not carrying something, which seems to be often. 

I also think replacing Neal-Bullen will be more difficult than it might first seem, and apart from Windsor and McVee, there's no under 21 on the list who I'm confident will be a massive contributor next season. In addition, I don't buy either the "we lost a lot of close ones this season" line (we beat North, who'll finish the season with a percentage in the lows 60s, by under a kick) or the "we get an easier draw" optimism. Genuinely good teams don't worry about the evenness of the competition - they just keep winning. I think a longer pre-season is a genuine plus, however. 

All that's to say I suspect we're not good enough; it will take some coaching brilliance to make finals, let alone win won. It will be difficult, but it's not unfair to expect a coach coming into his 9th season to be well above average.

Is Goodwin the man? Next year will be an excellent test. 

• Like 1