Time to go Goody?

Lack of depth and injuries bigger concern. Goody is a young, successful coach . Give him a chance with hopefully a deeper list and hopefully a bit more luck next pre season.

Next few weeks will have a big say in his ability to motivate. We tend to really goto water when we know the season is over .

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pipefitter said:

Lack of depth and injuries bigger concern. Goody is a young, successful coach . Give him a chance with hopefully a deeper list and hopefully a bit more luck next pre season.

Next few weeks will have a big say in his ability to motivate. We tend to really goto water when we know the season is over .

We traded away our depth because the coaches wouldn't rotate the squad to give them a go and keep our team fresh, Harmes, JJ, Bedford, even Grundy would have stayed if we rotated the squad more

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

Only 2 things can happen Goodwin changes his game style or the club changes Goodwin, as I have said on several occasions, we are a one paced midfield and a side littered with players that are poorly skilled by foot and hand and football awareness and panic under pressure, now is the time to reset I hope there is an honest review of what is not working.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, picket fence said:

Ok I'll vary... Toltoys not up to it YET! But his awareness is a concern!

You're right he's not up to it yet, that's why we're playing him to learn. Jeffo will be the same in his first games.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rednblueriseing said:

We traded away our depth because the coaches wouldn't rotate the squad to give them a go and keep our team fresh, Harmes, JJ, Bedford, even Grundy would have stayed if we rotated the squad more

That is why Goodwin failed

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

8 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

Geelong changed thier coach and got a flag

They were going to sack Thompson years before after a bad year but decided not to and he went on to coach them to 2 premierships. Same with Hardwick. Richmond had a couple of bad years and they were going to sack him but did not. He did pretty well. Clarkson's performance in the early years was heavily questioned by the club, and they were also on the verge of making a change but did not. He did pretty well himself after that as well. There are many more examples. With your logic, you would have sacked Chris Scott after Geelong failed to make the eight after their premiership year, and it looks like you would be dropping the hammer on Craig McRae shortly.

So what does that all say? We can go down the path of a St. Kilda or Essendon and change coaches every 5 minutes, panic, throw out everything that has been set up, and start again because we have had a bad year, or stick with the process that has been maturing and successful since 2019. There will be reviews and changes post-season. More than likely, there will be changes in the support coaching personnel and possibly in the football department as well. But don't expect a review that will have a scorched-earth outcome. Successful clubs don't do that.

• Like 7
  • Clap 1

I don't usually comment on these threads but in my view he is 100% not getting sacked and nor should he be. We have had a lot of obstacles to overcome this season, starting with the Smith and Oliver dramas in the off season; long, medium and short term injuries to Lever, May, Petracca and Gawn in season as well the career ending injury to Brayshaw only weeks before the season started.  The worst season Viney has played in his career and for much of the season playing a large number of players under 50 games every game.

The season has been disappointing and our list management has been questionable in recent times but I think (and more importantly people who can actually influence the decision believe) that Goodwin is the person best placed to guide us over the next chapter.

There is a lot of natural improvement in our younger players.  We have seen that with Rivers and McVee this year.  I have confidence we'll see similar with some of our youngsters next year. Gawn once again proved last night that he has no peer as a ruckman and will play for another couple of years.  He needs some support.  We need to reinvigorate the midfield which is why we need to go to this years draft.  We'll have a pick between 5 and 10 most likely and there is plenty of good talent from a midfield perspective.  My footy watching experience tells me these things can flip around quite quickly. Maintain the faith.

• Like 14
  • Love 2

We play the same players(basically) week in week out . We constantly put in poor performances . AMW was the only one to be rewarded for good reserves form . K.Brown achieve huge mount of tackles for Casey but no reward (sub is not a reward ). Sestan was playing well at one stage but has faded, why? perhaps he doesn't seethe light at the end of the tunnel !!!. Next week will unlikely make a change . Perhaps we are tanking for an earlier draft pick !!. The whole coaching staff need to go. I don't think the players have respect for Goody before people comment West Coast got rid of their coach. The Dees will not win another match this year.

• Haha 1
  • Clap 2
  • Thinking 1
  • Vomit 2

2 hours ago, Pipefitter said:

Give him a chance with hopefully a deeper list and hopefully a bit more luck next pre season. 

Isn’t that what he’s been given the past two seasons? How many more opportunities for excuses is he given until his held to some level of responsibility, and when will the Goodwin apologists accept his role in the performances since ‘21? 

it was absolute insanity his contract was extended, which was flagrant face-saving by the Board. Everyone can see that it was a whitewashed PR exercise.

Queue the vomit and facepalm reactions by the Goodwin apologists. 

Edited by BLWNBA
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vomit 1

5 minutes ago, COOLX said:

We play the same players(basically) week in week out . We constantly put in poor performances . AMW was the only one to be rewarded for good reserves form . K.Brown achieve huge mount of tackles for Casey but no reward (sub is not a reward ). Sestan was playing well at one stage but has faded, why? perhaps he doesn't seethe light at the end of the tunnel !!!. Next week will unlikely make a change . Perhaps we are tanking for an earlier draft pick !!. The whole coaching staff need to go. I don't think the players have respect for Goody before people comment West Coast got rid of their coach. The Dees will not win another match this year.

Standard changes next week. Will likely look along the lines of: 

In - Laurie, Billings

Out - Tholstrup, Woewodin

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vomit 1

12 minutes ago, COOLX said:

I like the fact that you support K Brown, but the game with tackles was very wet which suited his style, either side he is back to normal and not knocking the door down to be included.

6 minutes ago, djr said:

They were going to sack Thompson years before after a bad year but decided not to and he went on to coach them to 2 premierships. Same with Hardwick. Richmond had a couple of bad years and they were going to sack him but did not. He did pretty well. Clarkson's performance in the early years was heavily questioned by the club, and they were also on the verge of making a change but did not. He did pretty well himself after that as well. There are many more examples. With your logic, you would have sacked Chris Scott after Geelong failed to make the eight after their premiership year, and it looks like you would be dropping the hammer on Craig McRae shortly.

So what does that all say? We can go down the path of a St. Kilda or Essendon and change coaches every 5 minutes, panic, throw out everything that has been set up, and start again because we have had a bad year, or stick with the process that has been maturing and successful since 2019. There will be reviews and changes post-season. More than likely, there will be changes in the support coaching personnel and possibly in the football department as well. But don't expect a review that will have a scorched-earth outcome. Successful clubs don't do that.

Some good points there, for me it's more game plan and roles for me than sacking Goodwin, we have players who have been so robotic in our movements and Grundy alluded to this in a recent interview and that's part of the problem assistant coaches only coach what the senior coach wants, backline is OK it's more midfield and to an extent forward line.

Now I know Oliver has had his issues but one can give some slack but boy there is a hugh skills gap between Bont and Oliver and I hope Oliver has not hit the ceiling in his development.

• Like 1

I would love to see some key personnel changes around him this offseason. We desperately need a midfield and forward coach. We need a new list manager. He has 2 years on his contract, I’d give him a chance next year and if he fails- flick him then.

We need some real VFL/fringe AFL depth to force competition. We need more midfield and half back dash and disposal quality. I wouldn’t touch another key position player, just make do with what we have like Hawks model, go for speed, skill and dare. 

Build our list to be competitive next year, but push for 2026 success. 

“You know it makes sense”

• Like 1

He absolutely should not get sacked. And he won't. I think the Assistant coaching group needs a big shakeup though, out Stafford and McQualter at minimum. We need a tactical/ball movement coach. Goodwin is a fantastic people manager, the players clearly love him. He is a very good strategic coach but if things don't go well his tactics can come up short and he is slow to react. I thought it interesting he switched Petty/TMac last night when it should've first been tried at halftime vs Brisbane in round 5.

I think we definitely need some fresh voices/ideas and I'd be looking at our fitness coaches and list manager too, JT has been fantastic at drafting but our trading has been poor for several years now. But throwing the baby out with the bathwater and sacking Goodwin would be idiotic. The same people are probably calling for Pert/Roffey's heads too, just really dumb - this kind of instability would send our club back a decade.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Demonsone said:

Cats had already won 2 flags & still in a premiership window playing finals … we have gone 0-4 finals wins & no finals 

Cats also have one of the best list managers in the business to keep their team at a high level. I am of the view however coaching changes need to be made.

SIMON Goodwin has admitted Melbourne was "nowhere near the level" to compete with the Western Bulldogs on Friday night.

Goodwin's Demons lost by 51 points, with the Dogs' return of 15 goals from 35 scores saving Melbourne from a larger defeat.
The Bulldogs won the first 10 clearances of the match, and despite the final metric of 41-36, the Demons were soundly beaten at the contest for the duration.

They dominated around the ball and were able to score way too easily. So, incredibly frustrated with how we started the game, and in patches we were able to bring that back… but overall, just nowhere near the level required."

Goodwin noted that Melbourne's clearance game "hasn't been anywhere near the level for a period of time now", with typically dynamic duo Jack Viney and Kysaiah Pickett combining for just three clearances and 21 disposals.

Edited by spirit of norm smith
P
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

Slow ball movement stagnated forward line. Time to go if you care about the club Goody you should take sole responsibility for the disasterous year we have had. We need to rebuild and Goody is not the man to take us there unless you want a Simpson type form line. Roffey if you are worth your weight you should sack him now. Time to release Jeffo

Just so embarrassing 😳. Also re Jeffo ..instructions are another 5kg but club pleased with progress. We won’t see him this year. Just another reason you have NFI !! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Garbo said:

Goodwin is a frustrated coach but this year has been defined by injuries. 

And lack of fitness (the two factors being interconnected of course).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Bevo was close to getting booted this year. Funny how he has turned it around. We however go the other way.

The Dogs completely changed up their assistant coaches during the off-season and brought in 3 new coaches. It took a while to settle but they’re reaping the rewards now. We need to do the same and also take a lesson out of what we did in 2019/2020.

Out: Stafford, Choco, McQualter, maybe even Griffith.

Edited by At the break of Gawn
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, binman said:

And lack of fitness (the two factors being interconnected of course).

It's hard to make an informed assessment from the outside, but let's do it anyway.

But do we need a new head of fitness, allowing Selwyn to deal with his expertise?

The sad reality of last night is that our premiership window is almost shut. 

You could argue this run started from 2018 but its hard to see Max, May, Viney and Co maintaining this level of performance beyond 2025.

Next year is our last chance and some big decisions need to be made to achieve this.

Edited by Jibroni
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SPC said:

I would love to see some key personnel changes around him this offseason. We ur Daisy Pearce I believe). 

Build our list to be competitive next year, but push for 2026 success. 

“You know it makes sense”

Actually the Pies " invented " skills speed and dare"( do I get banned for saying that?)

That game plan requires skills and speed from the players and a coach who has " dare" ( did our Daisy coin that? )

I assume we all know Goodwin isn't going anywhere until his contract is up( unfortunately imo) but the rest of the footy dept must be looking over their shoulder.

Goodwin got a flag and took a job that no one else would take and that even his friends advised him against so, even though he's never impressed me at all, I guess giving him his contract is what the Club owes him.

It's not as if he's coaching anywhere else when he finishes

Let see what the Club can do with the situation

Edited by IRW

37 minutes ago, IRW said:

Actually the Pies " invented " skills speed and dare"( do I get banned for saying that?)

That game plan requires skills and speed from the players and a coach who has " dare" ( did our Daisy coin that? )

I assume we all know Goodwin isn't going anywhere until his contract is up( unfortunately imo) but the rest of the footy dept must be looking over their shoulder.

Goodwin got a flag and took a job that no one else would take and that even his friends advised him against so, even though he's never impressed me at all, I guess giving him his contract is what the Club owes him.

It's not as if he's coaching anywhere else when he finishes

Let see what the Club can do with the situation

Goodwin probably will become an assistant after his tenure with us is done.

As I mentioned before if we don't make a GF in the next two years, he shouldn't be offered a new contract.

2021 will be a distant memory in season 2026

Edited by ElDiablo14
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1