PREGAME: Rd 21 vs Western Bulldogs

10 hours ago, The Taciturn Demon said:

His landlord is a soft touch. A skip with a working lid and a beautiful view of the concrete smoko area... $220 dollars a week... minimum. 

That was his old place, he upgraded to a view of the portaloo 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Demonland said:

Pity that they don't back peddle a little further - and 'go all' Teddy Whitten'. Dees by 12 points.

• Like 1

On 29/07/2024 at 08:00, Jaded No More said:

The 2018 finals experience was extremely important to us winning the flag in 2021. Many of our players have said so. Nobody expected us to do anything in 2018 in finals and yet we made the prelims. 

There is never an argument that I would agree with in which finishing just outside the 8 is better than in it. 
The difference in draft picks is inconsequential. It’s not as if the trade off is finals or a top 3 draft pick. 

It's a bizarre argument anyway.

I mean, so what if a noob on a footy forum thinks we should rest players etc and not try and make the 8.

It's the very definition of a moot point.

It's like me saying this morning I really don't think it should be super foggy this morning.

Oh look it's still foggy!

The club will do everything in its power to win the remaining games, regardless of our opinions.

Edited by binman
  • Like 6

22 hours ago, Roost it far said:

The debate about where we finish is moot. The players and coaches will be giving it everything to win and keep winning. We can argue what's best but it won't change that fact. Personally I think the Hawks have that '87 Demons vibe about them and will keep on winning...even saying that makes me vomit a little in my mouth. I'm loving the Dogs atm as well. For those who think we're best off admitting defeat how say you if we roll the Dogs and Suns? I look at our fixture and above all else I want this team to smash the Pies, that will do me as I think we're better set for next year than we were for this year once we lost Gus. 

Snap.

• Like 1

On 28/07/2024 at 11:56, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I wouldn’t be shocked if Hunter comes back into the side to play his 200th against the Dogs. Direct replacement for Billings who once again did next to nothing.

We owe nothing to Hunter, and he won’t be with us next year, but I think it’s fair that we get him to 200 before he retires.

No way - Jonesy wasn't even given the good grace to start as an emergency in the GF

18 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

I have no issues playing Hunter if he's earnt a recall, and whether he is on 199 games or 201 games shouldn't be part of the decision making, although I understand that sometimes those things are taken into consideration.

His form has been ordinary at best at Casey, and frankly I am not sure his calf can last a full game at Marvel.

I also wonder if we try and get Ben Brown up for round 24, given it will surely be his last game. I wouldn't be against it, but likewise if a win in round 24 means we make finals, I also totally understand why we wouldn't take that risk.

I made peace with the fact that there are no sentiments left in footy when Jonesy and Jetta missed out on the 2021 flag. We played the team we thought could win it, and we were right to do so. 

That was when ..how did someone put it a few weeks back?

"The Doggies are our bunnies"

Hilarious

This team has no "bunnies"

I still think the Dogs in the finals are like Ivan Lendl at Wimbledon  but suspect another team will get to be Pat Cash this year

Possibly the Hawks, but let's pick " best " available this week ,while  a slim chance remains  of finals redemption

Edited by IRW

50 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

No way - Jonesy wasn't even given the good grace to start as an emergency in the GF

That's because he went home for the birth of his twins. Hard to be an emergency when you're not in the same state. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

This coming weekend it’s our Retro Round match.

5C80F9C7-7A96-4576-9F04-4966E5FB4662.thumb.jpeg.04f1aff6fe8a2d84e18e5f606695efe5.jpeg

Will be cool to see the odd duffel coat or two! ❤️💙

Sunday September 18th 1994 was a grand day at the footy. Garry kicked a lazy ten, David Schwarz running amok, two goals and twelve marks, Glenn Lovett delivering the Sherrin lace out at will. Bulldogs sent packing, back to the kennel with their tails between their legs. Woof Woof

• Like 2
  • Love 1

39 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

That's because he went home for the birth of his twins. Hard to be an emergency when you're not in the same state. 

Oops! Forgot about that :)

Minor details, minor details 

• Haha 1

Anyone know if the AFL has explained the early 7:15pm start on Friday night?  Are they hoping to engender a riot at 7:40pm?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sue said:

Anyone know if the AFL has explained the early 7:15pm start on Friday night?  Are they hoping to engender a riot at 7:40pm?

Would it be something to do with the Olympics and trying to start the game before the live stuff starts?

2 hours ago, jumbo returns said:

But! Jones made the decision to return to Melbourne to be with his wife for the birth of the twins. He barely got back in time and wasn't in Perth for the final. His decision to put family first speaks volumes for the man.

• Love 2

8 minutes ago, Age said:

Would it be something to do with the Olympics and trying to start the game before the live stuff starts?

You could be on the money!

40 minutes ago, sue said:

It's to do with the Friday night double header. Nothing to do with Olympics because Sydney/Collingwood starts normal time next Friday night.

They always play the early game around 7:10 - 7:20pm. 

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

For those that think we're a young team and that's one of the reasons why we're struggling, then this article suggests otherwise.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1184405/the-young-and-the-marvellous-youth-spurring-hawthorn-hawks-hot-charge

8th oldest on average and 5th oldest on average for games played.

I think our fitness hasn't been as strong this year and/or lacking hunger compared to other clubs such as Freo, Hawthorn, Bulldogs, GWS who haven't tasted success in a while or ever.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

18 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Hard Tag on Trelaor and Bont

Dogs on a 5 day break 

...and back to the footy.  We've been right in games where ANB has tagged recently.  He's shut down a number of quality opposition midfielders.  He didn't tag thru the middle in the Freo game and that was a disaster (admittedly prior to the game, I didnt think Serong, Brayshaw were all that effective but sheer weight of numbers hurt). Last week, it was Green and Callaghan who just got off the chain.  Eventually ANB went in there and shut it down at the end of the last.  He simply must tag Treloar, the Doggies game falls apart when AT goes quiet.  He's a smokey for a Brownlow place.

As for Bont, keep him in the contest can't let him get outside. He's a nightmare up forward though. So good. Um, pray maybe. 

• Like 1

I suspect Kolt is still in concussion protocols as the two 6 day breaks mean he hasn't had time to get back into training. To the supporter Bowie and Billings appear out of form but without knowing what roles or KPI's the club wants from them we aren't in a position to say if they go or stay. I like the fact that Sparrow responded to his demotion and I watched the VFL and he certainly deserved a recall. K Brown is a real goer, tackling machine but his footy skills let him down and his disposal needs to improve moving forward. It is only his first season.

Goody nailed it when he said our best is good, very good but our worst is bad and it can all happen in the space of a half.  I  see consistency and cohesion in both freo and GWS. This because they been able to minimise changes in the lineup and have played together quite a bit. This helps. On Saturday night that was the first time all season that Petty, JVR, Fritch and Melk were in the same team. Our backline thrives on having the same group together. We have had to replace 2 of our finest mids in Gus and Trac so no surprise the midfield is down.

Goody has stated he is trying to keep the same forward line together to improve cohesion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

For those that think we're a young team and that's one of the reasons why we're struggling, then this article suggests otherwise.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1184405/the-young-and-the-marvellous-youth-spurring-hawthorn-hawks-hot-charge

I think our fitness hasn't been as strong this year and/or lacking hunger compared to other clubs such as Freo, Hawthorn, Bulldogs, GWS who haven't tasted success in a while or ever.

Fitness is not an issue, the stats say that we cover more ground than any other team in the AFL 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sue said:

They've stupidly s reduced 2 games Friday night. Early start for us means viewers can catch later parts of second.

Afl management of football blows my mind.

The Dogs have lost to Essendon, got smashed by us and Port. 

I reckon we are excellent value at $4

Their form means little to me. They are so inconsistent in general terms

• Like 2

This is a must win.

I actually like our chances.

Mind you I thought that about the Giants.

Out... Woey and perhaps Bowey.

In ...young Brown and maybe Sparrow( slim pickings if I'm honest).

Turner to get a full game so not sure which from the ins or Laurie to sub.

If we lose it's still possible I guess to sneak into the finals as I believe 13 wins will qualify.

At the end of the day I just want us to kick cwoods ar*e even if we are not a chance to play finals.

I mean that's the real win. Let's not lose perspective here😃1

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Not necessarily.

The article provides our average age across the entire season. It says our average has been 25.9.

On the weekend we were 25y10m (maths equivalent to 25.8). Against Fremantle, 25.67. Against Essendon, 25.33. Against Brisbane, 25.25.

Meanwhile we were 26 or over in Rounds 1-4, hitting 26.4 against Hawthorn in Round 2.

So the average spits out in the middle, but post-bye we have been fielding a much younger side than we were fielding at the start of the season.

We've had the younger 23 in four of six games post-bye (the only two where we've been older were vs North and GWS).

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Is that considering all the players on the list or the players actually playing for Melbourne? 

We have a few guys up in age not currently playing in the seniors that would lift our average (Ben Brown, Lachie Hunter, Shane McAdam, Adam Tomlinson come to mind). 

Agree fitness doesn't seem to have been as strong as previous seasons though.