Oliver Trade Rumours

Ultimately if playing group has run out of patience with Oliver then his time is up. Goodwin and other coaches just have to accept this.

Its up to Connor Sports to work out a deal where Geelong pay all of whatever contract he agrees to and Geelong provides acceptable trade return.

We get cap space, trade return and much needed clean air.

Geelong get Oliver and associated ongoing management of his non football issues to add to Stengle and Smith. It might work. It might not.

18 minutes ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

We did. He got warned last year at trade time and agreed to certain things to make it work, we kept him on that basis and it sounds like he hasn’t held up his end. 

But all this year did was tank his value. The choice is to move him out for chips now, or hope he can cash in on his seeming better attitude (but acknowledging its still not great) and doing a preseason to then trade him for at least some semblance of value.

Unless he is having an absolutely toxic effect on the group, why would you throw him out for nothing? It will kill our list going forward

• Like 2

I've lived in the Geelong region for more than 40 years. Most of my mates are long time Cats' members, and a few belong to coterie groups. I know the families of a couple of the players as I taught the sons. I receive quite a bit of intel relating to the GFC. If Geelong wants a player, they'll get him. Money talks. I have no doubt that one of the attractions that the Cats offer is cash or 'product' - and heaps of it. Obviously outside the salary cap. A huge grocery supplier, a large car dealer et al. throw $millions at the club.  Jobs and cars to family members, and on it goes. When their former CEO was courted by Carlton, Costa doubled his salary. If Geelong wants Clarrie, and he wants out, only the MFC holding him to his contract will prevent it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

It's a big challenge for clubs in our position. There's only one short player movement period when they have an opportunity to take action.

Oliver played all season and that was good for his progress, we saw that he went off the rails last year when playing was not possible. Recently playing has stopped again and it's possible there are signs that he's not progressing well any more.

The club has to read the tea leaves and make a decision if that's the case because there's only one short and imminent time for action. We can't just wait and see how the summers pans out.

Edited by old55
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, seventyfour said:

How did it not leak earlier about Clarry at the Brownlow?

He has to be the most watched player in the league in terms of off field behaviour, and there would easy be 1000 players, coaches, partners and media there. Surely someone would've said something earlier.

The count itself is only a few hours of the festivities.

People questioning the club over possible trade… what’s the responsibility on the  player who has been well supported by the club and may still not be meeting certain standards whilst other senior players are busting their back sides.. comes a time were players need to take responsibility, this is how you build culture 

• Like 3

I think all of us who played at any level always had one very talented kid at the club who was a bit wild off the field, didn’t often go to training and got by on natural ability. It works for a while and has for Oliver up until the past few years. He was a Melbourne great, always will be but I question whether he can dominate like he used to, he will still get possessions but needs a lot of work on kicking and hard balling as he ages. Let’s hope another club step forward with a decent offer

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

I have absolutely NO idea how AFL player contracts work however if they are not very, very heavily based on PERFORMANCE, they should be.

If any player underperforms because of questionable off field behaviour or bad attitude or a gripe against their club, why should they receive 100% of their pay?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Abyssal said:

I have absolutely NO idea how AFL player contracts work however if they are not very, very heavily based on PERFORMANCE, they should be.

If any player underperforms because of questionable off field behaviour or bad attitude or a gripe against their club, why should they receive 100% of their pay?

How would you manage the cap? 

2 hours ago, Mickey said:

Given the club said they didn't know about the meeting, I don't think Pert did. Geelong seems to be off Clarry's own bat, probably due to previous interest and an understanding that they could help support him with his issues.

I think that's right.  There were rumours of the Cats believing they were a chance during the season.

What I think has happened is Geelong were lurking since last year and once the club became aware Clarry was talking to them (post Brownlow meeting I guess), Pert's reached out to clubs to see if there was a market and potentially get a better return. The club would, like us, know that Geelong being the sole bidder would guarantee a poor return. No surprise then that it's reported that if Clarry goes, he would only want the Cats.

Edited by ChaserJ

1 hour ago, Dee Boys said:

He got absolutely sideways with Jamarra Ugle-Hagan.

Seen JUH at a degen pub at 2am on the tins, pokies, pool table.  Seemingly something Clarry would love.

• Like 2

You live and die by these types of catastrophic list management decisions.

If we decide that we need to move on from Clarry, and we give him up for little value, to a direct competitor, then we cannot expect to contend next year or even beyond.

Our window is brief while Gawn, May and Viney are still at their peak. Losing Gus and now Clarry, means that supporters need to massively reset their expectations. 

The same people on here advocating to push him out for the betterment of our culture, will also be the same people who scream "sack Goody" two weeks into season 2025 when it becomes clear that we are not a top 8 team anymore.

This is not a Hogan for May trade. We are struggling to attract established talent, hell, we are struggling attract mediocre  talent too. 
Trading Clarry is not some magic bullet. It won't suddenly fix all the issues that this club has. 

Just remember all this in 2025 when you're melting down over our performance. 

• Like 12

People questioning the club over possible trade… what’s the responsibility on the  player who has been well supported by the club and may still not be meeting certain standards whilst other senior players are busting their back sides.. comes a time were players need to take responsibility, this is how you build culture 

• Like 1

What if Clayton Oliver / the club was playing 3D chess with Geelong as part of planning a move to the Dogs once Smith & Macrae leave?

Smith to Geelong, good draft picks to Dogs. 

Macrae to wherever, moderate picks or pick upgrade.

Complicated pick package to Melbourne for Oliver, Melbourne get Geelong's 15, Brisbane's 14 (via a points trade enabled by the pick package), and a good position in the second round.

We go into the first round of a strong draft with our existing pick 5, plus 14 and 15.

A massive bucket of salary cap space opened up for the rich 2025 free agency market.

And a whole lot less 'issues'.

• Facepalm 1

21 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Good question and interesting thought experiment - I’ve often thought about this. My thinking was:

- maternal grandfather and family all mad Tigers - rich history, close to the G, close in terms of suburbs. Don’t hate the Tigers. Fans have got a bit obnoxious after 3 flags (wouldn’t we all!)

- up until the Maynard incident, was coming around to them - rich history, good song, good team, parental grandfather Pies, wife and family Pies

- Lions ? We’re 3 hrs south of Bris, Fitzroy connection

- I’m 90mins south of Metricon so the Suns, but just no 

- Swans for South Mel connection, range of pros and cons

id much prefer we got ourselves sorted out and run like Geelong 

I don’t understand this ‘I’m cancelling my membership’ or even more so this ‘what other team should I barrack for’ chat… 

I get people are unhappy with our situation. I’m not thrilled either. But supporting teams is about riding the highs and lows regardless of the ferocity, volume and depth of the lows.

Take yourself back to the evening of 25 September, 2021. The elation of that night had the years of Barry Prendergast, the post- Norm Smith years, the sad Robbie Flower years and the disappointment of the Daniher and Balme years all baked into it.  If you’re going to disappear when we approach a LOW then frankly you don’t deserve to be involved in the highs when they come along….

I feel like I’m lecturing a bunch of 6 year olds so I’m going to stop now.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2

15 hours ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

It was just an observation that whilst we're supposedly looking to sell a metaphorical farm the Cats might be trying to entice Clarry with an actual farm. The fact that I have to explain it shows that it wasn't a very good joke.

you almost bought the farm trying to explain it!

I thought the joke was solid by the way

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

The same people on here advocating to push him out for the betterment of our culture, will also be the same people who scream "sack Goody" two weeks into season 2025 when it becomes clear that we are not a top 8 team anymore.

Why are we waiting til 2 weeks into the season? Goodwin, Pert, the football department, the board should all be gone now. The joint needs a complete reset. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, adonski said:

You can only hope Oliver at Geelong is closer to Hogan at Freo, than Hogan at GWS

I think it would be pretty low to hope Oliver's life falls apart again just because he plays for another team.

I've been pretty disappointed in him but if going elsewhere helps him get back on track then it's probably for the best for all involved.

• Like 6