Food at the Footy

21 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I just put together a sample menu of some of the things I’d like to be served around the ground. 

IMG_5873.jpeg

$18 for an acorn??? That's nuts!

@Bitter but optimistic brings his fermented clam bun to the footy every week. It's why there's always spare seats around him

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Clap 1

34 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I just put together a sample menu of some of the things I’d like to be served around the ground. 

IMG_5873.jpeg

“ Naive Vinegar” is already available on the wine list.

How does the chef “ invigorate” the pancakes?

I dare not ask about rounding the Chorizo.

• Haha 3
  • Clap 1

15 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

$18 for an acorn??? That's nuts!

@Bitter but optimistic brings his fermented clam bun to the footy every week. It's why there's always spare seats around him

Most people call it “ foot odour”.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Biffen said:

“ Naive Vinegar” is already available on the wine list.

How does the chef “ invigorate” the pancakes?

I dare not ask about rounding the Chorizo.

Imagine going to the food vendor and saying, "I'll have a bean toss, thanks"

• Haha 2

I bring everything from home. Even at interstate matches, I pack food and water in my carry-on.

And every week I smuggle in cans of energy drink/Pepsi Max. Unless I forget to hide them in which case I get busted and have to either bin them or consume them. On more than one occasion at the ‘G and at Marvel I’ve stood beside the queue and chugged multiple cans of V or Red Bull. 😑

15 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I bring everything from home. Even at interstate matches, I pack food and water in my carry-on.

And every week I smuggle in cans of energy drink/Pepsi Max. Unless I forget to hide them in which case I get busted and have to either bin them or consume them. On more than one occasion at the ‘G and at Marvel I’ve stood beside the queue and chugged multiple cans of V or Red Bull. 😑

Why can’t you bring those in, is it the aluminium can? 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay

2 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Why can’t you bring those in, is it the aluminium can? 

Yeah. No cans of anything allowed in.

I can’t remember if they sell soft drink or energy drinks in cans at the ‘G but at Marvel and Adelaide Oval and other grounds they do. That’s the annoying thing. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar

3 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

i refuse to buy anything at the games - it's a rip off

i remain determinedly low yield

My main gripe is that you cant pay cash! Seriously what happens if the terminals go down. Imagine the uproar!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, picket fence said:

My main gripe is that you cant pay cash! Seriously what happens if the terminals go down. Imagine the uproar!

I think not being able to pay cash is illegal. A lot of places do it but it is legal tender and you should be allowed to use it anywhere.

• Like 4

The pies at the MCG are fresh. They taste better than from almost any other source. I look forward to having one and although they may be only warm occassionally they taste great. Yes I used to be a Pie-Boy.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, dl4e said:

I think not being able to pay cash is illegal. A lot of places do it but it is legal tender and you should be allowed to use it anywhere.

Unfortunately, laws were changed so not accepting cash is legal. My gripe with this is that vendors (on behalf of the banks?) are pretty much all adding a percentage of the product cost to the sale total. I think the percentage is 1 or 1.5% (which over a year, adds up). This is on top of the fees that the bank charges that we don’t see. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 1
  • Clap 2

I never buy food at the footy. It's never good and the prices are wild.

Very very rarely get scolding hot jam donuts outside the ground, and immediately regret them when I burn the roof of my mouth and cover myself in jam.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

My food pinnacle was at the 1987 MCG finals. Esky filled with food from David Jones food hall (in those days excellent) and a bottle or two of French wine from Nick's in Doncaster.

Now it's a peanut butter roll and a few mandarins with a plastic bottle of tap water

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Unfortunately, laws were changed so not accepting cash is legal. My gripe with this is that vendors (on behalf of the banks?) are pretty much all adding a percentage of the product cost to the sale total. I think the percentage is 1 or 1.5% (which over a year, adds up). This is on top of the fees that the bank charges that we don’t see. 

Forced gratuity in a roundabout way isn't it 

• Like 1

Imagine a Yarra Park with less parked cars replaced by food trucks and a beer garden. It will never happen as Yarra Park rents go to the City Council and not to the MCC.

Remember the stand off at Docklands over going outside to the concourse shops.

Even the Shilling a Bag peanut seller used to be evicted from the MCG

55 minutes ago, dl4e said:

Is this true??

56 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

New Laws:  https://www.accc.gov.au/business/selling-products-and-services/payment-methods

Quite right it adds up!!  I reckon it is easily costing $5-$20 a week !!  Many people aren't even aware it is being added to the cost.

My friendly Mazda dealer said a fee is charged only when a Debit card is swiped but no charge if it is inserted into the machine, using the PIN.  Tested it several times this week and he is correct.

Not sure if it is the same with a Credit card.  Will give an update tomorrow after trying it,

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

New Laws:  https://www.accc.gov.au/business/selling-products-and-services/payment-methods

Quite right it adds up!!  I reckon it is easily costing $5-$20 a week !!  Many people aren't even aware it is being added to the cost.

My friendly Mazda dealer said a fee is charged only when a Debit card is swiped but no charge if it is inserted into the machine, using the PIN.  Tested it several times this week and he is correct.

Not sure if it is the same with a Credit card.  Will give an update tomorrow after trying it,

Can confirm this is correct. As when you tap you get charged as a “credit card” transaction. 
Whereas when you insert and select “savings” and insert a pin it’s a debit transaction. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

IMG_5873.jpeg

I think I had the shisito extract watching the Freo game

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

And isn't the new Betty Cuthbert bar set up appalling. It's like a noisy cattle enclosure. Totally stuffed up a good bar by putting the TV commentators panel where the old bar was

I agree with your latter observation Moonie but the window seats made for a lovely winters day sun trap on Sunday considering our seats up there are almost permanently in shade. 

• Like 1