Christian Petracca’s 2024 Season Ending Injuries

Leave off on Moore, by the way. There aren't many fairer players in the game. Just look at how he deals with Maynard whenever that d/h loses his head on field. If you think Moore is at fault, then you have to hate Brad Miller too given what happened to Tom Lonergan.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Clap 2

53 minutes ago, Smokey said:

To anyone lamenting our medico's for "allowing" him back on to the ground - the extent of the injuries were not known until he went to hospital. All they really have to go on is whether the player themselves thinks they can continue play or not. 

Yes, the extent of the injuries were not known until he was examined. Now why didn't the medicos examine him? Or look at his reaction? Or look at the footage? AFL doctors have form here. See Port and the Dogs just recently with Allir and Liberatore.

• Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I wouldn’t take SENs reporting as gospel. They do tend to add some mayo to everything to fuel the clickbait industry. 

Nevertheless, you can’t rule it out as truth either, which is unfortunate for Trac and MFC.

If you look at the photo Trac posted on his socials, he certainly appears to have needed something done.

You don't often have a finger monitor and an IV in your arm if you're just in for light observations to some cracked ribs.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I wouldn’t take SENs reporting as gospel. They do tend to add some mayo to everything to fuel the clickbait industry. 

Nevertheless, you can’t rule it out as truth either, which is unfortunate for Trac and MFC.

Confirmed by the club:

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/1576080/injury-update-christian-petracca

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Pirlo said:

Leave off on Moore, by the way. There aren't many fairer players in the game. Just look at how he deals with Maynard whenever that d/h loses his head on field. If you think Moore is at fault, then you have to hate Brad Miller too given what happened to Tom Lonergan.

Exactly this. May does the same thing any chance he gets, as he should. The result was just incredibly unfortunate. Moore is a genuinely good bloke and not a dirty player - this isn't a Maynard-type situation.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, dl4e said:

Take a look at the incident carefully and I don't think there is much doubt that Moore deliberately put his knee "hard" into tracs back.

I recall when my father - a soccer player who played in a German POW side against the Poms in front of King Farooq, the Poms won because the referee was a Pom - was coming to terms with Aussie Rules. He taught himself to jump, mark, and kick everything but a drop kick. Anyhow, one thing he could never understand or come to terms with is precisely the 'part of the game' that badly injured Petracca. He could never understand how kneeing someone in any part of the back to 'take a mark' could be part of any sport. He put it down to the DNA of British ancestry, where anything goes as long as you 'win'.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Scipio said:

May does the same thing any chance he gets, as he should.  

I disagree.
May is hard but fair.
If he was flyin' with his knees there'd be opposition dropping left right and centre.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

It was the choice word  of ‘surgery’ that SEN use that I would cast some doubt on. Was it minor, major, precautionary etc. The MFC article doesn’t go into details either but doesn’t sound great.

• Clap 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Pirlo said:

I agree with you. I do not believe Moore did this on purpose - sloppy mayyybbee - but I like him as a player and has shown himself to be quite fair. My earlier post about the Pies having form with us and our star players in relation to football acts (which you facepalmed - thanks) - was more tongue-in-cheek, and a causation point than anything else - in that the 'football act' - has directly brought about a retirement and now Trac, who I don't think we will see for some time. But I don't think Trac was on purpose at all. Very unlucky. But that's now 2;/2 games against the Pies where we have been very unlucky with BIG injuries to stars. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Scipio said:

Exactly this. May does the same thing any chance he gets, as he should. The result was just incredibly unfortunate. Moore is a genuinely good bloke and not a dirty player - this isn't a Maynard-type situation.

Agree, Moore is not a dirty player.

The point I made earlier, was that we are now 2/2 with HUGELY unlucky outcomes from football acts. To stars. 

While May and Co would likely do the same sort of stuff, I don't recall the last time they sidelined anyone like this. Which just reinforces how bad luck it all was. 

• Like 5

On the AFL Reddit page there are countless posts from opposition supporters who are appalled by the fact that Trac was put back on the field. I am in complete agreement. 

Has anyone ever seen Trac in that much agony as he was being walked off the ground? No. It was obvious that something was very, very wrong. 

But we all know the coach has had run-ins with medicos trying to do their job and protect the players. 

I followed the Essendon scandal very closely at the time, and I was shocked when we appointed Goodwin as our head coach. In my opinion, it was a total abandonment of core values. 

My opinion has not changed. 

• Facepalm 3
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Ouch! said:

We've got the bye which will help, but the spleen and lung will likely heal in that time, and the ribs are going to be painful, but not impossible to play with.
He might miss the Nth game, but equally wouldn't be surprised to see him named either.

Mason cox missed 6 weeks with a similar injury 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Red But Mostly Blue said:

The Pies certainly are very good at racking up the dangerous football acts. 

First Gus, now Trac. They aren't going after our lightweights, are they?

I wonder if Moore will dip into the wine collection and drop it off? 

Probably just a Seltzer 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

Stupid question on 'Land @picket fence. You should know better than most we are in a post-truth world. Rules are 'schemes of arrangement' and facts are the last thoughts that ran through the brain picked up from an ever increasing shrill and delusional public discourse.

Needs deciphering! 🤔

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Smokey said:

To anyone lamenting our medico's for "allowing" him back on to the ground - the extent of the injuries were not known until he went to hospital. All they really have to go on is whether the player themselves thinks they can continue play or not. 

If we’re comfortably up in this game, there’s no way we’d risk bringing him back on. This was horribly mismanaged by club dr’s & staff imo. It felt like pure desperation to do whatever it took to get the win. The fact that CP was visibly still in agony before being sent back out makes it hard to think otherwise. 

• Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, picket fence said:

Next question... WHO GAVE THE OK FOR HIM TO GO BACK OUT ONTO THE FIELD??

Mr Fence - I would presume it was the club doctor, who unlike any of us, had the opportunity to fully clinically asses him in the rooms and make a call based on those findings.   Many players go back on with painful rib areas.  Rightly reassessed at half time and may have felt things had changed, or warranted further investigation.

1 hour ago, Smokey said:

see my previous answer ^

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

It’s not all they have to go on. They have the vision and medical examination.

But there’s probably no way to diagnose small spleen lacs or a small lung puncture without imaging, in a guy who’s very sore and not breathing comfortably due to you know, the broken ribs! And whilst they sound bad now it’s not necessarily all that worrying.

So really, it’s a guy with very painful ribs and you’re trying to examine if they’re fractured or not, how badly and quantify risk of further injury. 

In hindsight you can say Tracc stayed down for so long and was so sore when he came back on that it was likely more than just damaged rib cartilage. But it’s easy in hindsight. And it’s not like he played out the game, they gave it a go then got him out of there.

Agree especially with your first three paragraphs.   

He did stay down for a long time but as I recall play had ended by then.  If he had stayed down that long whilst play was proceeding it may have been fair to call it differently.

1 hour ago, speed demon said:

I'm a doctor with experience managing these injuries. I thought I'd make a few comments to quell speculation.

SEN reported Petracca had surgery. That wouldn't be for a "small punctured lung" (that's treated with a tube inserted between the ribs to inflate the lung) or four fractured ribs, so I assume it was for the spleen. It's uncommon these days to need to operate on splenic injuries as our interventional radiology colleagues are excellent at performing a minimal invasive procedure (angioembolisation) to stop the bleeding.

That Petracca needed surgery suggests this was nothing short of a life-threatening situation. Surgery in this case is usually via a long incision in the midline of the abdomen. That in itself takes a long time to recover from (eg no heavy lifting for six weeks). Then there is the time needed to re-again AFL-level fitness.

As a young and fit person, I'm sure Petracca will be fine in time but it wouldn't surprise me if this was the end of his 2024 season.    

Od couse, speed, what SEN call "an operation" and what actually happens may well differ.  

They would no doubt call a chest tube an operation, and maybe even an angiogram for embolisation (going through an artery with a needle  usually in the groin and injecting stuff to stop the bleeding.).   Do we know whether he had his abdomen opened and the spleen removed or repaired? Or keyhole surgery?  

56 minutes ago, Pirlo said:

Yes, the extent of the injuries were not known until he was examined. Now why didn't the medicos examine him? Or look at his reaction? Or look at the footage? AFL doctors have form here. See Port and the Dogs just recently with Allir and Liberatore.

Pirlo - Do you really think our club doctor didn't examine him, or look at the footage?   Seriously?  

The two you mentioned, as well as Jeremy Cameron, were concussions, and should have been immediately assessed in the rooms.  The Cameron one did not seem to be adequately assessed with the doctor having to chase him around the ground.  

• Like 2

What if the grub or one of the other players, deliberate or not gave Tracca a solid bump or collision in that area when he went back on?

It could potenitally have been career ending if he'd copped another big hit.

He's probably our future captain and close to our MVP at the moment. It just seemed absolutely reckless to put someone back on when he was flat out walking off at half time.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

Incorrect. My friend who is a doctor saw him sucking in the air on TV and immediately said “he punctured a lung or bleeding internally”

If they didn’t know the extent of the injuries, they should have taken the right precautions and sent him to hospital immediately, given the risk of internal injuries was very high. 
Imagine if he got hit again after being sent back on the ground. This is not a hamstring or a knee, the risk is not worth it. Much like we take no risks with head injuries. 

Long, long time ago I was at the game were John “Sam” Newman was injured due to receiving a knee to his back.

I have read that due to the good fortune of his Father being in the empty changerooms with him meant immediate action being taken which averted him bleeding to death.

He lost a kidney and has lived 57 years with only one.

Get well Christian.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Mr Fence - I would presume it was the club doctor, who unlike any of us, had the opportunity to fully clinically asses him in the rooms and make a call based on those findings.   Many players go back on with painful rib areas.  Rightly reassessed at half time and may have felt things had changed, or warranted further investigation.

see my previous answer ^

Agree especially with your first three paragraphs.   

He did stay down for a long time but as I recall play had ended by then.  If he had stayed down that long whilst play was proceeding it may have been fair to call it differently.

Od couse, speed, what SEN call "an operation" and what actually happens may well differ.  

They would no doubt call a chest tube an operation, and maybe even an angiogram for embolisation (going through an artery with a needle  usually in the groin and injecting stuff to stop the bleeding.).   Do we know whether he had his abdomen opened and the spleen removed or repaired? Or keyhole surgery?  

Pirlo - Do you really think our club doctor didn't examine him, or look at the footage?   Seriously?  

The two you mentioned, as well as Jeremy Cameron, were concussions, and should have been immediately assessed in the rooms.  The Cameron one did not seem to be adequately assessed with the doctor having to chase him around the ground.  

So is your take on this that the club did all they could to protect the players welfare? The rhetoric around what constitutes an operation is just dribble and anything in "hindsight" is the problem with taking proactive measures. He should never have been allowed to take the field and the club as some explaining to do. 

2 hours ago, picket fence said:

Season gone!!🤮

Trac has worked his way through many things and in particular, he is our best player as a consequence. Given that our season is virtually over after the KB game, we cannot hope for a speedy recovery, let alone a worsening of his physical condition threatened by an attempt to see him on the ground again in 2024. Best wishes to you Christian, and whilst we wish you every comfort and appropriate recovery in this part of the season and what may follow, we have few demands for your onfield return in 2024 - so rest easy...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dl4e said:

Take a look at the incident carefully and I don't think there is much doubt that Moore deliberately put his knee "hard" into tracs back.

Shows what you know about football with that statement his eyes are on the ball trying to punch it football accident. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Pirlo said:

I thought I remembered that Lonergan was running back with the flight of the ball as Millar was running toward the ball to mark. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Smokey said:

To think he went back on the field too. What a champion. 

I really feel for Trac, he along with Gawn and one or two others, seem to be the only ones having a dip and despairing where we are at. I hope he doesn't second guess his decision to sign that long term deal, a stint on the sidelines will be good for him I think.

• Like 3

Notwithstanding his health is the only concern at the moment, a side issue is , the incident highlighted how disfunctional our forward line really is. That is, your best midfielder, arguably the best or equal best in the competition, needs to stand under a pack to provide a deep forward target.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1