PREGAME: Rd 15 vs North Melbourne

Great to see Kynan selected. He has been very good in his 1st season of VFL.  Quick and evasive and reads the play well. He sets up play, has goal involvements and kicks a few himself.

IMO eventually his ability to read the play will see him excel as a mid. 

As a forward if the oppo take their eye off him they will pay.

His form this year surprised me. I thought a couple more preseasons would get him right for the big time but if you have what it takes then you get rewarded.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

On 11/06/2024 at 21:13, monoccular said:

Few believed me when I said the WCE was a genuine danger game.  Basically every game is and always has been a danger game.  

"....and not sure about Fullarton just yet."    If not "just yet" then when?  We have been  in dire straits for weeks.  

Money for nothing Mono?

4 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

If it was up to me he would’ve debuted last week 😂

I remember the last time we debuted a young forward on Kings (Queens) Birthday against the Pies. (Didn't go well)

Edited by Demon_spurs
  • Sad 1

North came close to beating Colonwood last week, hindered by the usual umpire cheating and incompetence. Melbourne were thrashed by the same team. I do not gamble. But it is very tempting to put $1000 on North to win this one, given MFC’s meltdown over the past month. 

• Thinking 1

19 hours ago, Demonland said:

Underwhelming but good luck 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

You yearn for those days? 2015? When we finished 13th on the ladder? Those days? Yearn?

😄

Haha...I yearn for long term decision making. That's my point. 

Taking that time with ANB is a piece of the flag. Maybe the flag wouldn't have happened if we didn't....who knows. 

The other poster pointed out ANB played more than 10 games in his first year though, which I didn't recall, so clearly I'm off base here and debuting Kynan now might be the very best thing for his development. 

I would like to see Andy get a go - not even in his preferred half back role as I think we could use his energy and speed in the front half.

But when framed like that, Kynan has more strings to the mid-fwd bow and has actually been playing this position. 

All good

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Demon_spurs said:

I remember the last time we debuted a young forward on Kings (Queens) Birthday against the Pies. (Didn't go well)

Tbh...  the whole  circus with JW was very poorly conceived and handled..   The hype was off the charts.   No reason reallyba player can't debut in any game.

• Like 2

Pleased for both the young pup and the old Dogg.

too many changes and we will be accused of panic.

besides Goodness does not like a lot of changes.

at selection or during a game

Hope we win. Expect to. No.

I just looked at the training photos. 
just from the one with Petty, Oliver and Fritta.  I have changed my mind.
 Dee’s by plenty

Fritta to kick 5.  Oliver 3 from the 50 metre line running from the bounce.  If Petts kicks 1 . That’s more than we should need.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

12 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Nibbler played 11 games in his first year! He was made to work in year 2 but I suspect a lot of coaches are happy to give first year guys a taste and then make them work to tidy up parts of their game that don’t stack up. 

Sesto and AMW haven’t had that taste yet but unless we shift a half back on ball there’s no backline spot and Fritsch and McAdam are both way ahead of Sestan.

Brown’s also been in the Oakleigh system, Vic Metro system, father son system, has a coach/former player as a dad. I can see a case that he’s more ready than we might think.

Very interesting idea creations, he's been in good hands for a while, already a journeyman to acknowledged extents with a pathway of improvement (and confidence) ahead. Really looking forward to him settling into the team as the next stage of his nurtured footballing exposures.

32 minutes ago, 640MD said:

I just looked at the training photos. 
just from the one with Petty, Oliver and Fritta.  I have changed my mind.
 Dee’s by plenty

Fritta to kick 5.  Oliver 3 from the 50 metre line running from the bounce.  If Petts kicks 1 . That’s more than we should need.

Jee those training photos must have been actioned packed.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, fr_ap said:

Haha...I yearn for long term decision making. That's my point. 

Taking that time with ANB is a piece of the flag. Maybe the flag wouldn't have happened if we didn't....who knows. 

ANB was going to be traded at the end of 2020 -  with no suitors he stayed

To say it was part of a masterplan is stretching it

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

18 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Some elasticity, I guess, yes, though the 2020 environment was beyond what any masterplan could have allowed for...

https://www.afl.com.au/news/617093/without-a-nibble-dee-alex-neal-bullen-goes-from-trade-bait-to-first-rate

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Antioch said:

North came close to beating Colonwood last week, hindered by the usual umpire cheating and incompetence. Melbourne were thrashed by the same team. I do not gamble. But it is very tempting to put $1000 on North to win this one, given MFC’s meltdown over the past month. 

Very brave punting right there - a thousand hypothetical dollars. Why not a million!

Which, by the by, is why the betting market is a more reliable measure of probable outcomes than tips and predictions by media or fans.

Punyers putting their hard earned money where their mouth is. Real money.

We are currently $1.17 to beat the roos.

Of course those odds do not imply a 100% probability of winning ($1.00 = 100% probability).

And of course, we might lose. We were a similar price against the Eagles for example.

But the bookies, who are not keen on losing money and minimise the risk of doing so by being good at pricing probability, set a very short opening price and the market (ie punters) agree with that assessment, hence the current price (by the by I expect that price to drift to something like 1.25 or 1.30, so roos are pretty good value atm. The 32 point line is even better value).

Edited by binman

27 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Perhaps more like a Baldrick 'cunning plan' ?

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

The guys just look relaxed, comfortable and at ease.   There is no tension. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Trent Rivers.

If there is a time where you want to see whether someone has what it takes to step up in a midfield role and become a potential star then it has to be Rivers.

His trajectory could be very similar to Elliot Yeo when he started out as a half back flanker in his earlier years.

He’d have to significantly improve his kicking. He still turns it over far too often.

5 hours ago, Antioch said:

But it is very tempting to put $1000 on North to win this one, given MFC’s meltdown over the past month. 

Enjoy living on two-minute noodles for a month! 😃

*adds this to her long list of reasons for desperately wanting Melbourne to win*

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

Don’t question it!

Just enjoy the world’s quickest turnaround in the space of one hour. 

😜

2 hours ago, 640MD said:

The guys just look relaxed, comfortable and at ease.   There is no tension. 

I hadn't seen the photo's until this morning, i understand where you were coming from now.

They do look happy and relaxed, i will give you that.