SOLUTIONS NEEDED. 2 JUNE 2024. Memo to Goody

13 hours ago, beelzebub said:

If we cant win it in next 2.... and that would require a change of direction, and in results.  Then as another suggested, though not so much cue in rack, just the understanding  of realities that we go into full rebuild. Take with us what works , jettison everything else.  everything. 

Monday tells us where we are. Is as much about mindsets and attitudes as anything.  

Win/lose..    more about how...either way.

We have been sliding  since sep 21.

How far ??

A lot of this reads true to me.

this game will tell us a huge amount. Not so much if we win but how we play and do we “turn up”. Since the bye, (6 games), in the first quarter we have kicked 3 or 4 goals in two games and less than two in the other 4.  The second quarter has been worse.

6 goals and then 5. In the first half. Then 3 for the other games.  It does not win football games.  I know conditions and the opposite teams play a part. 
since the bye we have been deplorable.

why play finals and go out in straight sets or just the first game again. 
play, train, and make decisions for the long game 2025.  Get rid of the dead wood. 

some hard decisions needed. And someone smarter than me to do it.

i hope we win but experience says  no. 
Go Dee’s 

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

If we cant win it in next 2.... and that would require a change of direction, and in results.  Then as another suggested, though not so much cue in rack, just the understanding  of realities that we go into full rebuild. Take with us what works , jettison everything else.  everything. 

Monday tells us where we are. Is as much about mindsets and attitudes as anything.  

How far ??

this game will tell us a huge amount. Not so much if we win but how we play and do we “turn up”. Since the bye, (6 games), in the first quarter we have kicked 3 or 4 goals in two games and less than two in the other 4.  The second quarter has been worse.

6 goals and then 5. In the first half. Then 3 for the other games.  It does not win football games.  I know conditions and the opposite teams play a part. 

play, train, and make decisions for the long game 2025.  Get rid of the dead wood. 

Go Dee’s 

Go Dee’s 

Apologies to all posters herein; coming to this thread only now, reviewing its 12 pages is a bridge too far for me! A general thanks to you all, though; I'm sure it has all been very constructive 😉

Here's a 'solution' ['joke alert']:

We sit virtually equal 9th. In 1987 we also sat 9th (and remained there for a further seven rounds!) Look how that worked out, and the only extra thing we'll need is for Max not to run through the mark.

So, clearly the solution is to now 'Do It For <insert name>'

Suggestions?

• Haha 3
  • Clap 1
  • Shocked 1

5 hours ago, 640MD said:

Go Dee’s 

5 hours ago, 640MD said:

Go Dee’s 

5 hours ago, 640MD said:

Go Dee’s 

If you say it three times it comes true, right? 😉 

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Dingo said:

Get Gus into the change room to help lift morale - and to be an assistant coach for the game.

Gus is taking a deliberate break from the game. Leave him be. He has to focus on his own wellbeing right now.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

Jake Lever’s interview on the Deebrief podcast was excellent. Highly recommend giving it a listen.

He alluded to a few things:

1) Effort and prep. I’m paraphrasing here but he basically said “There may be some complacency that’s seeped into the group. It’s winter in Melbourne now, and when you’ve just come off a win to get the pressure off your back, you sometimes don’t do all the necessary steps to back up the next week. Sunday’s loss shows there’s no room to be any less prepared with how tight the comp is.”

2) This also led to a focus on the group to ask themselves are they doing everything necessary in their preparation each week. 

3) There has been a bit of an over correction on focusing too much on offence and not the hallmarks of our game (contest and defence). This is being addressed and expect a more contested brand from this week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Thinking 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Jake Lever’s interview on the Deebrief podcast was excellent. Highly recommend giving it a listen.

He alluded to a few things:

1) Effort and prep. I’m paraphrasing here but he basically said “There may be some complacency that’s seeped into the group. It’s winter in Melbourne now, and when you’ve just come off a win to get the pressure off your back, you sometimes don’t do all the necessary steps to back up the next week. Sunday’s loss shows there’s no room to be any less prepared with how tight the comp is.”

2) This also led to a focus on the group to ask themselves are they doing everything necessary in their preparation each week. 

3) There has been a bit of an over correction on focusing too much on offence and not the hallmarks of our game (contest and defence). This is being addressed and expect a more contested brand from this week.

I like it...thanks. Largely the things, we want to know they know!

Though the 'it's winter in Melbourne comment'  blows chunks, [censored] excuse 🤮

Edited by Dee*ceiving
  • Like 1

WCW.  If I knew what I was doing with a phone that is far smarter than I am.

i would be driving to the moon. 

I still support the mighty Demons, so that might explain it. Some games I am not sure why and my darling just shakes her head when I stil stay to the end of the game

Go Dee’s 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

If you say it three times it comes true, right? 😉 

to be sure   to be sure ....to be sure

( i think he is... )

• Haha 1

On 05/06/2024 at 22:02, picket fence said:

Ah, how refreshing not to put up with the postings of 4 posters tonight and forever! The ignored button is a great thing!😇

Struth, there’s an “Ignore button” ?

Please tell me how to find it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Yes I’m not sure that our issues are all effort based. Sure appears some are comfortable in their spots and are not dropped even after 3,4,5 poor weeks.  Shows how the demise in depth in the list starts to hurt you as well. 

BUT FOR ME , THE ISSUES ARE MAINLY

Lazy footy - no blocking, shepherds, body contact in contests 

Execution errors or Poor Skills

Poor decision making

Slow indecisive ball movement

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Yes I’m not sure that our issues are all effort based. Sure appears some are comfortable in their spots and are not dropped even after 3,4,5 poor weeks.  Shows how the demise in depth in the list starts to hurt you as well. 

BUT FOR ME , THE ISSUES ARE MAINLY

Lazy footy - no blocking, shepherds, body contact in contests 

Execution errors or Poor Skills

Poor decision making

Slow indecisive ball movement

That is 100% effort 

• Like 1

On 05/06/2024 at 17:41, Demon17 said:

Thanks for the above. 

In my view the media pile about straight sets finals set up a narrative late last year that forced the club - incorrectly - to maybe think the past now isn't working lest we  change - despite our obvious strengths.  Still recognising other teams are improving with new talent we don't yet have  - eg Horne Francis, Harley reid, etc.

Evidence?

2022 - a couple of goals short of a prelim - with 10 players injured, incl Max, and Trac(heroically IMO) with a cracked tibia. We were highly competitve despite these issues. I attended the Gabba bllodbath we inflicted on the Lions not 2 weeks earlier then lose at the 'G'. Did noone think how that was possible. ?

2023 - Lost forward line with jake out, JVR out susp., Collingwood game - Brayshaw and poor kicking, then one poor kick /decison by Jack and prelim gone also.

I concur not much was wrong, and acknowledge JVR our key to future but not quite ready.

Tweak but keep going with key aspects of current game, but with a few improvements like lowering the eyes etc.

I expect to see a major reversion to 21-23 style on Monday - despite personnel deficiences

We may have personnel deficiencies although this may be due to having the wrong suite of players to execute our current gameplan, which require more speed and higher skill level, I believe we are lacking in both aspects unfortunately. 

Assessment from Kane Cornes (?!?!) 

Coach Simon Goodwin deploys a short-kicking, high-uncontested-mark style, but this strategy fails to generate enough inside 50s and goals – they sit 13th for inside 50s and average only 11 goals per game.

The team’s off-field drama, poor culture, and discipline issues are finally affecting their on-field performance.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/flag-favourites-disasters-and-the-side-that-s-just-plain-boring-kane-cornes-mid-season-verdict-on-every-club-20240605-p5jjgc.html

53 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Coach Simon Goodwin deploys a short-kicking, high-uncontested-mark style, but this strategy fails to generate enough inside 50s and goals – they sit 13th for inside 50s and average only 11 goals per game.

The team’s off-field drama, poor culture, and discipline issues are finally affecting their on-field performance.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/flag-favourites-disasters-and-the-side-that-s-just-plain-boring-kane-cornes-mid-season-verdict-on-every-club-20240605-p5jjgc.html

It never takes long for the vultures does it.

• Angry 1

1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Clickbait again.

10 minutes ago, Demonsterative said:

Has anyone got a response from Goody with this memo? 😳😜🤣🥱😂

Not quite but....

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/enough-is-enough-simon-goodwin-on-personal-attacks-and-the-demons-culture-20240605-p5jjl8.html

“I’m not going to disappear down a hole because I love this job too much and I love this life too much. But that doesn’t mean it hasn’t been easy. There have been times when it has been terrible. It [Goodwin’s brand] has taken a hammering.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Not quite but....

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/enough-is-enough-simon-goodwin-on-personal-attacks-and-the-demons-culture-20240605-p5jjl8.html

“I’m not going to disappear down a hole because I love this job too much and I love this life too much. But that doesn’t mean it hasn’t been easy. There have been times when it has been terrible. It [Goodwin’s brand] has taken a hammering.

In all seriousness though he does say the changes aren’t working. So aligning that with Lever’s comments, I expect to see us play much more like 2022-23 on Monday. 

On 06/06/2024 at 23:05, JJR said:

Dees by 8 goals. Bookmark this

You think we will by that much today JJR? It's wet so will probably be low scoring.

• Like 1

On 07/06/2024 at 15:03, Timothy Reddan-A&#x27;Blew said:

Apologies to all posters herein; coming to this thread only now, reviewing its 12 pages is a bridge too far for me! A general thanks to you all, though; I'm sure it has all been very constructive 😉

Here's a 'solution' ['joke alert']:

We sit virtually equal 9th. In 1987 we also sat 9th (and remained there for a further seven rounds!) Look how that worked out, and the only extra thing we'll need is for Max not to run through the mark.

So, clearly the solution is to now 'Do It For <insert name>'

Suggestions?

Perhaps we have the answer now?

Trac and Gus.

(Spot the common thread...)