PREGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

4 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

Consider what we have lost, Jackson, Grundy, Jordan, Harmes, yet Schace had played 4/5 games and was a sub over Grundy, Fullerton is a back up ruck and hasn’t played a game, am I missing something? 

Oh the answers that spring to mind. 

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Gutless team decisions. 

wtf drop Tomlinson.  
wtf drop Woewodin 

Include Billings 🤢

Include Laurie 🤮

Alot of tomorrow's outcome will come down to will, want, fight and desperation imv NS.

But yes there's a fair bit of grasping at straws and just poor judgement going on with selection here me thinks.

Goodwin will have had to try and wind the clock back big time on the track this week in an attempt to arrest the massive slide away from our past three years dominance in contested & clearance DNA.

Much of that task will fall on an under-manned mid field that, aside from Tracc who also plays a fair chunk forward, sees our two contested bulls either a fair way off their early season form (Viney roughly 18% down post Rnd 5) & Clarry (approx 23% down on 2023 but pulling that back in the last 6 weeks... his rating up 29% on his first six weeks but off a low base).

It will take a mamoth effort from the entire 22 + sub to get over the line tomorrow.  Especially if it's raining.

We also need to bring sustained heat on the opponent, particularly up forward in order to retain the pill inside 50 where we've been bleeding like a sieve with Kozzy playing too much mid time to bring his usual heat (inside 50 tackles down nearly 50% this season and 33% down over the last six weeks vs Rnds 0 to 5).

Those hoping JVR might bring the heat inside 50 tomorrow might also want to think again.

Zero inside 50 tackles in his last four matches.  General tackles down 68% during this period also vs his first six matches (Rnds 0 - 5).

One percenters dropping away by 20% this season vs 2023.

Havent checked pressure acts.

You could once rely on us to bring the heat and pressure opponents into turnover and ensure a pretty decent retention game inside 50 in most matches from 2021 - 2023.

That has ebbed away big time this season where we are now pretty poor at both.

I realise we have trialled a diff method which is fine.  But appeared to have over balanced here and the change hasn't given us an edge in 'scoring off defensive mid turnover' for all that we've given up.

In fact if anything, all it's done has made us a relatively easy team to score against and ended up playing too many players out-of-form.  To the point that the entire (prior) team method / DNA has almost dissapeared.

We're about to find out if one week of pretty much a full 360 here plus a few personnel changes (by SG & the FD) will have the desired effect and arrest the recemt slide.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Demon17 said:

Really?. Hosking's Elliott a good inclusion. Their A graders ahead of ours and in form. Caicos won't be tagged.

Uphill tomorrow to beat their system strategy. We don't have one.

Go Dee's nevertheless

If they get the ball outside of the contest quickly their speed will kill us. I think this will be a very fast filth side, to compensate more for the lack of height.  

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

Well I mean unfortunately for Tommo. I really like Tomlinson and I think he has a lot of offer, but unfortunately for him and he’s always had too much competition at Melbourne. Hard to compete with May, Lever and now a reborn Tmac. 

Whatever happens Tomlinson is always the first to go. People will point to his incredibly small sample size as a forward at the Giants. Could he really be any worse than Petty? Really? I'm a huge Harrison fan but if his name was Adam Tomlinson he'd be long gone by now. Tomlinson has been very good at Casey. Call me old fashioned but I always thought players were selected on form. Tomlinson can also  ruck. I hope Petty can find something but it is a scandal that he has gifted so many games. Tomlinson has always held his head high and produced.  Not so Petty. Nothing to lose.

• Like 2

Any idea if we are likely to be putting a corralling cooler on Nick tomorrow?

Be insanity if we don't.

If so who gets the job half done?

I’ve been as flat as a [censored] carters hat all week and resigned to a loss, but for whatever reason, a reason I can’t explain, I think we get the job done tomorrow.

I think it will be ugly and it may well be the heart overruling the head, but I believe there will be redemption for last week’s performance and the stalwarts (Gawn, Viney, May etc.) won’t let this one slip. 

It’s the Melbourne way of course….lose us, then suck us all back in and I think that’s what’s going to eventuate tomorrow. See you at the G, I’ll be doing my bit for the boys. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Wish we had Jordan, Bedford & Grundy (if he wanted to play for us at all) back.

Isn't it amazing how some players win the Hore-Francis awards. (If you are in the wrong Club then if you lay on the ground kicking your heels until you get your own way)

Jordan & Bedford must be really really good bargains when you think about it. I do not blame them for going because they were on the edge of what we thought were our main strengths. I am not being critical of "The Duke" but Bedford probably should have been given more time to develop. (No problems with Langdon, but his battery has got to wear down soon).

At the moment we do not seem to have a "mad mongrel" in the guts . I hope Viney plays on Sh*** d tomorrow so he is continually worried about where Viney is ! Otherwise we ignore "it".

Open up the fwd line and get it in there quickly. JVR, Fritsch and Kosi play deep, kick it long, low and direct. We know the Pies will bring manic pressure early, so ….are we awake….

I just want one clean, fair hit on Maynard. 

I don't care who delivers it but if anyone is in the vicinity to deliver the goods then do it within the rules and give it all they've got.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, dimmy said:

At the moment we do not seem to have a "mad mongrel" in the guts . I hope Viney plays on Sh*** d tomorrow so he is continually worried about where Viney is ! Otherwise we ignore "it".

Viney is a ferocious competitor, but too small to concern Maynard. We should swing Big Steven May forward though at some point and have his leading patterns put the worries into that thug. 

Edited by John Demonic

1 hour ago, OhMyDees said:

Season is salvageable if we win and finished if we lose. 

If we don’t target Maynard physically tomorrow then we’re a bunch of Peahearts. 

I’ve mulled over these two statements for a while now but I’m still no closer to working out which one is stoopider. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

we need a big body forward to play along side JVR Fristch and Turner who are either young or undersized or both

Ideally Brown would play this role but he has been poor and his body doesn’t hold up. Petty has mostly been poor but at least is young and might improve. 

I understand all this, but he is uncompetitive at the moment, doing absolutely nothing for his or the team’s confidence 

Goodwin needs to start being a coach & make some hard decisions instead of dropping the same old fall guys 

Team moral is taking a hit 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jumbo returns said:

Keep on rabbiting on about Tomlinson - once the ball hits the ground around him, it’s a certain goal to the opposition 

I hope he never plays ones again 

Nonsense. I think you meant if it goes near Petty it's a rebound score for the opposition. 

3 hours ago, Winners at last said:

As much as I hate the filth*, they have always been a pretty good 'one soldier out, one soldier in' side.

*extreme level of hate.

Yep also a very good "backs against the wall" side

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Billy said:

I understand all this, but he is uncompetitive at the moment, doing absolutely nothing for his or the team’s confidence 

Goodwin needs to start being a coach & make some hard decisions instead of dropping the same old fall guys 

Team moral is taking a hit 

easy to say, but you haven’t provided an alternative to Petty. Brown has failed too.

he has dropped Billings and McAdam. i don’t understand the stubborn Goodwin argument. are these the usual fall guys?

• Clap 1

3 hours ago, dees189227 said:

Thank goodness cox isn't out there. He always does something to max and I won't have to hear that stupid USA chant

Darcy Cameron has learnt from him and leads into ruck contests with his knee.

• Angry 1

Why do they persist with Laurie? Billings not much better.

I would like to see Petty and TMac swap ends, TMac has been in good form and gives us a marking target up forward. Petty in the backline might find it easier to get some touches and work his way into form.

No statements at selection, the usual revolving door of NQRs. Tomlinson stiff again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Winners at last said:

Sorry, but the filth people do my head in. Not quite a mental health issue, but not far from it. I actually get upset in their presence. 

Please cheer for me. 

I still can’t get over their chanting when Gus was knocked out cold.

I want our team to focus on playing their guts out and beating this mob. We can do it.

My job at the ground tomorrow is to give it to Maynard and any other feral shyyytes in the crowd near me that back him up …… and feel their hate when we win.    

And yes, I’ll cheer for you. GO DEES SMASH ‘EM!!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Deelectable said:

Whatever happens Tomlinson is always the first to go. People will point to his incredibly small sample size as a forward at the Giants. Could he really be any worse than Petty? Really? I'm a huge Harrison fan but if his name was Adam Tomlinson he'd be long gone by now. Tomlinson has been very good at Casey. Call me old fashioned but I always thought players were selected on form. Tomlinson can also  ruck. I hope Petty can find something but it is a scandal that he has gifted so many games. Tomlinson has always held his head high and produced.  Not so Petty. Nothing to lose.

Petty is a heartbreaker we should have let go last year! Disco not up to it and as for Laurie,.. will be shown up as NQR 9

2 minutes ago, Wodjathefirst said:

I still can’t get over their chanting when Gus was knocked out cold.

I want our team to focus on playing their guts out and beating this mob. We can do it.

My job at the ground tomorrow is to give it to Maynard and any other feral shyyytes in the crowd near me that back him up …… and feel their hate when we win.    

And yes, I’ll cheer for you. GO DEES SMASH ‘EM!!!

Yeah absolutely 100 % behind u with this!

• Thanks 1