PREGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

1 hour ago, Bates Mate said:

Why is everyone always so quick to drop thommo , been in our best 5-6 players since coming back. You need selection integrity and Petty should be dropped before him

Don't disagree, it is harsh to retain Petty and drop Tommo but we have no choice. 

Petty has greater upside and we need him to show something because there's a good chance he asks to be traded at the end of the year. ATM he'd be worth a half eaten four 'n twenty and an egg flip Big M

Would not be surprised to see May out this week. He looks injured, saw his ribs get hit again against Freo and he cannot pick up a ground ball. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Bates Mate said:

Why is everyone always so quick to drop thommo , been in our best 5-6 players since coming back. You need selection integrity and Petty should be dropped before him

Tomlinson played 1 good game against an awful side, an ordinary opponent in Caminiti and great up field pressure. That’s the easiest gig in footy.

As soon as it got a bit harder he wasn’t just poor he was dreadful. The head goes down, the turnovers come and he’s unwilling to put his body on the line. 

It’s probably well and truly time for Petty to go back to Casey but the forward options aren’t good. So I won’t be shocked if they stick with him.

Down back we have other plausible choices, mostly going smaller against a Collingwood small line up.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, SPC said:

Would not be surprised to see May out this week. He looks injured, saw his ribs get hit again against Freo and he cannot pick up a ground ball. 

He hasn’t been able to pick up a ground ball for nearly 3 years now, it’s not injury. It’s mental softness. He knows a tackle is coming and panics.

He’s become a panic merchant when he has the ball in traffic and no clear left foot target. The speed he still displays defensively isn’t there to get him running with the ball and he has no handball game.

I thought they’d be able to fix it over summer with some basic coaching but sadly it’s got worse.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Flicked through the afl.com article about players pushing up in the hope that I had missed someone.

Even the author couldn’t make a case for anyone… depressing.

• Like 1

There is two schools of thought for selection this week and we know Goodwin never really makes major changes, with that he will either stick with last week's team except for injuries and see how they respond to last week's loss or really make an example of some players and drop them I guess we will soon see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Tomlinson played 1 good game against an awful side, an ordinary opponent in Caminiti and great up field pressure. That’s the easiest gig in footy.

As soon as it got a bit harder he wasn’t just poor he was dreadful. The head goes down, the turnovers come and he’s unwilling to put his body on the line. 

It’s probably well and truly time for Petty to go back to Casey but the forward options aren’t good. So I won’t be shocked if they stick with him.

Down back we have other plausible choices, mostly going smaller against a Collingwood small line up.

I can’t agree with that assessment. He had a great game against the filth last year and from memory was dropped the week after? I think he’s unfairly maligned but that’s just my opinion. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Dee*ceiving said:

Fullarton has shown nothing at Casey, who are losing to teams that have won 5 games in 5 years with 10 MFC listed players. Sadly TF will not help us. 

Petty has shown less than nothing at AFL level....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dee*ceiving said:

Don't disagree, it is harsh to retain Petty and drop Tommo but we have no choice. 

Petty has greater upside and we need him to show something because there's a good chance he asks to be traded at the end of the year. ATM he'd be worth a half eaten four 'n twenty and an egg flip Big M

At the moment he isn't worth the burp in a coke Don't play him is the answer

Tommo must stay in playing better than the very over rated Petty who is playing like he has already decided to leave for the city of churches

28 minutes ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

Petty has shown less than nothing at AFL level....

The problem with Petty ...imo. .. is he has patches of brilliance.. and like a light bulbs element that burned too bright.... just goes out.

If all our list played to potential....well...make room in the silverware cabinet.  But we don't. 

In truth you seldom get any team's players to all fire as hot on the same day. No wonder we like Alice and Darwin...  our lot love to go walkabout.  

I think the most important thing Goodwin needs to do before this game....before that 1st bounce is say unto his charges...  "Simon says:  Play Football"..  and do so in a very calm but menacing tone.....    followed by... 'if you can't.... consider your futures"

This lot need a good clip around the ears at times. They lack attention, they lack effort.

Must be soul destroying for the handful that DO bust a gut.

• Like 2

JUST PUTTING IT OUT THERE

B Mc Vee, May, Petty ( very bloody lucky)

H.B Bowey, Tomlinson (VBL) Andy MW

C Langdon Viney Windsor

H.F Clarry, Van Rooyen Kozzy

F Fritsch ( VBL) T.Mac   BBB OR JEFFO 😁

R Max, Tracc ( NIBBLER ) TO RUN ALL DAY WITH FRAICOS

INTER FROM SALEM,  RIVERS, WOEY, and either BBB OR JEFFO 😄 SPARROW ( VBL)  BILLINGS

• Thinking 1

4 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

He hasn’t been able to pick up a ground ball for nearly 3 years now, it’s not injury. It’s mental softness. He knows a tackle is coming and panics.

He’s become a panic merchant when he has the ball in traffic and no clear left foot target. The speed he still displays defensively isn’t there to get him running with the ball and he has no handball game.

I thought they’d be able to fix it over summer with some basic coaching but sadly it’s got worse.

Lever is worse I'm afraid. 

1 hour ago, Phil C said:

I can’t agree with that assessment. He had a great game against the filth last year and from memory was dropped the week after? I think he’s unfairly maligned but that’s just my opinion. 

He was dropped because he went from playing on Mason Cox to be potentially lined up against Jeremy Cameron against Geelong which would’ve been a blood bath.

It’s the same reason why he’s repeatedly been left out over the last few years. He doesn’t do enough consistently unless he’s matched up against a plodder

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

A side without Pendles, DeGoey, Elliot, Mitchell, Mihochek, Cox is significantly on the back foot. Any other week I would have penciled us in with an easy 6+goal victory. But alas, we are Melbourne, we seem to find incredibly innovative ways to screw things up. 

I really don’t know what to expect. I can firmly make a case that will see us finish bottom 4 and top 4 from here. Do we persist? I know the game plan change is making us look really bad. Is it the old adage of it’s the darkest hour just before dawn?

I am wondering, with this absentee list from the Filth, that just perhaps, the gods of eternal damnation are about to smile upon us for a win - for a change. A loss, on the other hand, is now almost certainly the sole responsibilities of the snot goblins (with peas in their whistles - also a change, for once). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, beelzebub said:

The problem with Petty ...imo. .. is he has patches of brilliance.. and like a light bulbs element that burned too bright.... just goes out.

If all our list played to potential....well...make room in the silverware cabinet.  But we don't. 

In truth you seldom get any team's players to all fire as hot on the same day. No wonder we like Alice and Darwin...  our lot love to go walkabout.  

I think the most important thing Goodwin needs to do before this game....before that 1st bounce is say unto his charges...  "Simon says:  Play Football"..  and do so in a very calm but menacing tone.....    followed by... 'if you can't.... consider your futures"

This lot need a good clip around the ears at times. They lack attention, they lack effort.

Must be soul destroying for the handful that DO bust a gut.

Dear me if he actually said “Simon Says” I’d be so gloriously happy. That is gold. 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Is there a chance most of the boys were setting themselves (prematurely in a mental sense) for KB as a statement game to revenge Gus and forgot they had a pretty decent opponent to play before that in Freo?

If that is the case i am expecting a 10 goal smashing this week.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Deemania since 56 said:

I am wondering, with this absentee list from the Filth, that just perhaps, the gods of eternal damnation are about to smile upon us for a win - for a change. A loss, on the other hand, is now almost certainly the sole responsibilities of the snot goblins (with peas in their whistles - also a change, for once). 

I'm with Nathan Buckley on this week.

Its not the result, and its not the opposition,.  Its all about the team showing heart and effort.

Was last week an aberration - maybe?

A win won't fix anything because the pies will be so undermanned thus that will be the media commentary, . but that's not the point. 

Its how they go about the endeavour - yes I'm looking at you Bailey (for one)

• Like 5

So… not sure we have a shot this week, but if we do- who plays as a defensive forward on Moore? TMAC?
Who will keep Howe accountable? JVR or Fritta?
Who tags Daicos in the midfield? Bowie? Who takes Bobby Hill? Perhaps Juddy?

• Like 2
  • Clap 2

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, SPC said:

So… not sure we have a shot this week, but if we do- who plays as a defensive forward on Moore? TMAC?

Was going to ask this also.

No player has had more impact from defensive actions this season and he was the 4th highest rated player against the Doggies.

T-Mac no for mine.  Not enough speed off the mark and has said he doesn't have the strength to push off the injured foot like he once had so back of shoulder spoiling is most likely a place he can no longer go.  Unless of course its a stationary pack in our D50 where the bulk aren't flying for the pill.  A completely diff scenario to playing on Moore.

Possibly Turner if coach thinks he has the capability?  Looked lost against Freo but a defensive task, back of shoulder, on a leaping opponent might be the tonic?  Moore will at least take him to the ball quite a bit and he should learn from that and might even rebound at ground level out the back on occasions to punish the other way.

I'd consider Moniz in this week for Chandler to play a defensive mid cooler role on Nick.

I'd normally say Chandler but he hasn't played a defensive cooler role from memory and his knee seems to be a handicap of late.  His worst has been horrific.

Bowsa is plausible also.  If so i'd still bring Moniz in for Chandler and have him cover off Bowsa's role.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Was going to ask this also.

No player has had more impact from defensive actions this season and he was the 4th highest rated player against the Doggies.

T-Mac no for mine.  Not enough speed off the mark and has said he doesn't have the strength to push off the injured foot like he once had so back of shoulder spoiling is most likely a place he can no longer go.  Unless of course its a stationary pack in our D50 where the bulk aren't flying for the pill.  A completely diff scenario to playing on Moore.

Possibly Turner if coach thinks he has the capability?  Looked lost against Freo but a defensive task, back of shoulder, on a leaping opponent might be the tonic?  Moore will at least take him to the ball quite a bit and he should learn from that and might even rebound at ground level out the back on occasions to punish the other way.

I'd consider Moniz in this week for Chandler to play a defensive mid cooler role on Nick.

I'd normally say Chandler but he hasn't played a defensive cooler role from memory and his knee seems to be a handicap of late.  His worst has been horrific.

Bowsa is plausible also.  If so i'd still bring Moniz in for Chandler and have him cover off Bowsa's role.

Fritsch did a great job on him in last year's Kings birthday game. He needs a task to keep his mind in the game been way too in and out of games all year

45 minutes ago, SPC said:

You're  not painting a pretty picture..

"real lifes" can be that way sometime.

A true concern atm...  Forget about our scoring... our defensive pressure in the fwd arc has deserted us.

This game will be won in Either's defence.

Fingers crossed 🙄

• Like 1
  • Clap 1