Whispering in the Umpires Ears

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I wonder how many more secret changes to umpiring are festering at HQ.

In the last month:

• Revealed they had told goal umpires to score review just about everything, until they were exposed and the media started complaining ... fans had been doing so for a fair while. 
  • Admitted they coached umpires to extend 'reasonable time' and treat DTB as 'falling out in a contest' etc until coaches started complaining.
  • This 'whispering' in umpires ear and lord knows how many decisions were influenced. I just can't see any reason to do so in game.  The 'positive encouragement' is just bs. (btw very fitting that 'Whispering Jack' started this thread).

HQ has walked back on those but the scary thing is they didn't tell anyone, not even the clubs. 

I wonder what umpiring gem will be revealed next ... ?

Frustration at umpires is part of the sport but the above just hangs them out to dry.

I think the knee jerk reaction to this story is over the top, everyone has been talking about how bad holding the ball has been, this new interpretation is going to make it more simple, the over reaction of the new interpretation   is hyperbole.

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure why this is even a story, other than "Scoops" McLure and "Exclusive" McGuire thinking they are on to something new, which it isn't. 

I used to have one of those "AFL sports ears" devices years ago, though which you could hear the umpires talking to the players and also talking to each other. There was also a voice from someone else up in the stand talking to the umpires during breaks in play such as stoppages or centre bounces.

Edit - I wish they still had those sports ears things as it was really interesting to listen to, particularly the interactions bewteen player and umpires that you couldnt hear on TV.  That said, I most certainly did NOT enjoy hearing Razor Ray blowing his nose on to the ground or hoiking up whatever gunk he had in his throat before each centre bounce...  🤮

Edited by JTR
  • Haha 1

Realistically there are only two important points out of this:

1. Why only SOME coaches were aware (cue Scott bros.)

2. Why not release recordings to coaches if requested?

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Demon trucker said:

I think the knee jerk reaction to this story is over the top, everyone has been talking about how bad holding the ball has been, this new interpretation is going to make it more simple, the over reaction of the new interpretation   is hyperbole.

In what world is it reasonable to change the rules of a game in the middle of a season. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Demon trucker said:

The HTB discussion is a different thread.

My point was about the seemingly 'secret' instructions the AFL is giving umpires which they fess up to only when they become public, as per the 3 examples I gave.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DeeMee said:

Realistically there are only two important points out of this:

1. Why only SOME coaches were aware (cue Scott bros.)

2. Why not release recordings to coaches if requested?

Re your first point.  It seems Goodwin is one of those coaches that didn't know.

In his press conf today he said 'he assumed' this was the case, several times.  Fair to read into that he didn't know.

• Like 1

What I find amusing, yet not unexpected, is that the likes of Hardwick and Chris Scott have a sook and HQ immediately makes changes.

If Goodwin said "look at my ruckman being hit in the head 90 times a game", he'd probably get a please explain and Gawn wouldn't get another free kick for the season.

• Like 4
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

What I find amusing, yet not unexpected, is that the likes of Hardwick and Chris Scott have a sook and HQ immediately makes changes.

If Goodwin said "look at my ruckman being hit in the head 90 times a game", he'd probably get a please explain and Gawn wouldn't get another free kick for the season.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the umpires against the Saints were paying Max frees on the weekend most likely based feedback from the club. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 2

Just now, Demonland said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that the umpires against the Saints were paying Max frees on the weekend most likely based feedback from the club. 

Really? why suddenly are they taking our feedback? I doubt we only now decided to complain about the treatment he's been receiving for years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JTR said:

I used to have one of those "AFL sports ears" devices years ago, though which you could hear the umpires talking to the players and also talking to each other. There was also a voice from someone else up in the stand talking to the umpires during breaks in play such as stoppages or centre bounces.

That is interesting. Isn't the AFL saying it's only during breaks between quarters?

3 minutes ago, sue said:

That is interesting. Isn't the AFL saying it's only during breaks between quarters?

no, they said they give encouragement chats during play but they said they were not decision specific like yes/no

All this is a Media driven "shriek factor Story" .

This is the same mob who are demanding that players have to talk to BT OR ELSE.

Why can't the Umpires Coach talk to the Umpires ?  If you can tell me that somebody watching on screen can comment to an umpire EARLY enough to affect a decision then i will go jumping !!

Football coaches talk to the Footballers and supposedly provide positive feedback. As mentioned in the press the umpires coach/supervisor provides feed back

31 minutes ago, dimmy said:

All this is a Media driven "shriek factor Story" .

This is the same mob who are demanding that players have to talk to BT OR ELSE.

Why can't the Umpires Coach talk to the Umpires ?  If you can tell me that somebody watching on screen can comment to an umpire EARLY enough to affect a decision then i will go jumping !!

Football coaches talk to the Footballers and supposedly provide positive feedback. As mentioned in the press the umpires coach/supervisor provides feed back

So keep the question and concerns about what is going on…….simply….why do they need to be miked? …… When feedback, like with coaches can be done at end of quarters?

• Like 1

[censored] whats next, interpretations rules on what can an cannot be whispered.

Im just waiting for the day AI to take over and robots umpiring the whole match.

5 hours ago, Demon trucker said:

I would have no hesitation in agreement with that, but the problem is like always who will receive the most benefit fairly.

The game will be sped up. The problem is the elephant in the room, and that is, popular clubs will not be penalised as much, will not get rid of the ball correctly and will definitely drop it repetitively.

3 hours ago, george_on_the_outer said:

So keep the question and concerns about what is going on…….simply….why do they need to be miked? …… When feedback, like with coaches can be done at end of quarters?

Spot On ! !

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, MT64 said:

So if the "suit" upstairs calls decisions, and if he is working to the TV vision, then he should be calling throws as well as non disposal of the ball. It's clear to us watching. I have been saying this for years about the "fifth umpire" and cannot believe that club officials are in the dark about it. Yet another nail in the coffin for me attending/watching games. Don't take us/me as fools AFL. You will lose us.

MT64 - they have already lost me.  I used to watch multiple games each week on TV, and even attend "neutral" games at the G.     No more.   Occasionally I watch the end of a game especially if Geelong, Collingwood or Carlton are getting done, but otherwise it is only MFC.

I love footy, but hate the AFL especially when they go on about integrity etc.

PS - now 2235 Thursday night - didn't even realise that there was a game on tonight.  That is how much I despise the organisation known as AFL.

10 hours ago, daisycutter said:

i think all afl staff and executives need to go on an education course about the meaning and importance of transparency.  long overdue.

But who would educate them?

PS - does Nathan Brown update the odds to them during the game??

Edited by monoccular
PS
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Very likely unless checked by these revelations. I think we are all in disappointed awe of the omnipotence of those in (secretive) power over game outcomes.