Welcome to Demonland: Luker Kentfield

Geez we now have a lot of WA’s talent on our list, is it possible we are looking at a future trade for, possibly, the best midfielder going around. I’m still dirty on LJ going home, hopefully Harley wants too come home to his mums cooking too. Delusional, maybe, but having bargaining chips up the sleeve would help if my delusion came too fruition. It’s medicinal b4 you ask😜

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Flemo56 said:

Delusional, maybe, but having bargaining chips up the sleeve would help if my delusion came too fruition. It’s medicinal b4 you ask😜

My old granny was a teetotaller,  never touched a drop.   But did take the drop of medicinal brandy before bed that the good doctor prescribed.     but that was all.   I had to purchase the brandy   just cannot remember the name  but it was cheap.  And I was about 14..

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BAMF said:

Which player would you have selected in you were Jason Taylor? Put it on the record so you can gloat when that player smashes it in the next 6 months and you will get all the kudos on here for a few years.

Saad El Hawli (23yo) is the one that looked the most ready made and could potentially play this season.
Half back/wing with speed to burn who has dominated in VFL. 

That said, I'm very happy to have Kentfield.  My main disappointment with not getting El Hawli is that Essendon did, and they've already got a very handy player in Sam Durham from a previous mid-season draft.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fat Tony said:

Lynch was a free agent and A-grader.

I am not saying good key forwards aren't valuable (albeit overrated), but the opportunity cost of drafting them is usually too high. 

WC had very good KPs in 2018. Richmond brought in Lynch and he played in the 2019 and 20 flags. We went big at the other end and brought in Lever and May. Geelong had Hawkins and brought in Cameron. Even Collingwood brought in McStay.

All the recent flags have been won by teams who have seen the value of KPs. They're expensive to trade or contract in FA but they're indispensible. It's worth trying to draft some prospects.

Edited by old55
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

He was playing in the WAFL 2’s 3 weeks ago. And is good for one mark a game so far in the seniors. I’d be shocked if he’s anywhere near an afl game this year. Obviously he has to show a bit to stay on the list and if he does well that’s great but this is a pick aimed for 2026 after 2 full preseasons at the earliest, not round 20

How I love the optimism you bring to each thread, it is refreshing.

We have drafted him, let's wait and see.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

42 minutes ago, Flemo56 said:

Geez we now have a lot of WA’s talent on our list, is it possible we are looking at a future trade for, possibly, the best midfielder going around. I’m still dirty on LJ going home, hopefully Harley wants too come home to his mums cooking too. Delusional, maybe, but having bargaining chips up the sleeve would help if my delusion came too fruition. It’s medicinal b4 you ask😜

Harley Reid is out of Contract next year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

15 hours ago, rumpole said:

What number does he get?

Surely the club will hold Gus’ # 10 for a season.

I’m looking at the number 34 which is vacant.

2024 Melbourne numbers —

1. Steven May 
2. Jacob van Rooyen 
3. Christian Salem 
4. Judd McVee
5. Christian Petracca 
6. Caleb Windsor 
7. Jack Viney 
8. Jake Lever
9. Charlie Spargo 
11. Max Gawn 
12. Lachie Hunter
13. Clayton Oliver 
14. Jack Billings 
15. Ed Langdon 
16. Bailey Laurie 
17. Jake Bowey 
18. Jake Melksham  
19. Josh Schache
20. Adam Tomlinson 
21. Matt Jefferson
22. Blake Howes 
23. Shane McAdam
24. Trent Rivers 
25. Tom McDonald
26. Jed Adams 
27. Marty Hore
28. Will Verrall
29. Joel Smith
30. Alex Neal-Bullen
31. Bayley Fritsch
32. Tom Sparrow 
33. Tom Fullarton
35. Harry Petty 
36. Kysaiah Pickett 
37. Kade Chandler
38. Oliver Sestan 
39. Koltyn Tholstrop
40. Taj Woewodin 
41. Kynan Brown
42. Daniel Turner 
43. Kyah Farris-White
45. Andy Moniz-Wakefield 
50. Ben Brown

#49 - one ahead of BBB....

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

The Age write up on his profile … slightly underwhelming compared to bio write ups on other draftees 

Luker Kentfield

Melbourne have added a promising player from the WAFL in Subiaco forward Luker Kentfield.

Also to clarify.  He has kicked 1 goal in his last 5 games for Subiaco senior team.  Just to calm the high expectations.  He’s a speculative pick that will need time to develop.  

Edited by spirit of norm smith
Y
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

The Age write up on his profile … slightly underwhelming compared to bio write ups on other draftees 

Luker Kentfield

Melbourne have added a promising player from the WAFL in Subiaco forward Luker Kentfield.

Also to clarify.  He has kicked 1 goal in his last 5 games for Subiaco senior team.  Just to calm the high expectations.  He’s a speculative pick that will need time to develop.  

Sounds like he has dealt with some injury issues and illness according to JT, which probably has impacted him.

He's a speculative key forward pick, as are pretty much all key position selections in any form of draft.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m genuinely excited by this pick — Kid has a crack as shown by highlights, def more of a JVR type than Jeffo type as in seems to be able to impact the contest with physicality and can pinch-hit in ruck. Coaches have all said he’s a ripper and that he’ll make an impact fast which is always a good sign.. Welcome to Demonland ‘Kenter’ as I’m already calling him.. exciting prospect that I’m glad we called out.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, 640MD said:

My old granny was a teetotaller,  never touched a drop.   But did take the drop of medicinal brandy before bed that the good doctor prescribed.     but that was all.   I had to purchase the brandy   just cannot remember the name  but it was cheap.  And I was about 14..

Are we talking this century or last?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, old55 said:

WC had very good KPs in 2018. Richmond brought in Lynch and he played in the 2019 and 20 flags. We went big at the other end and brought in Lever and May. Geelong had Hawkins and brought in Cameron. Even Collingwood brought in McStay.

All the recent flags have been won by teams who have seen the value of KPs. They're expensive to trade or contract in FA but they're indispensible. It's worth trying to draft some prospects.

Obviously you need good players everywhere to win a flag. But several recent teams have have been successful despite having weak key forwards (Melbourne, Collingwood, Richmond 2017, WB). And no premiership team has had a poor or even average midfield.

I think the model of bringing in established key position forwards (trade or free agents) rather than drafting them is the better one. It means you hit on your draft picks more often and get more early value (as smaller players seem to take less time to develop).

The other thing I would note is that the key position forwards we have actually been most successful with at the draft were actually initially seen as defenders (JVR, Petty, Smith, TMac and Turner). This shows to me that second efforts are particularly important.

BTW I hope Kentfield is Allen Jakovich II.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

Like this lad the more you look into his worth.

Played seniors in the WAFL  only 19,  has NOT played  for other AFL clubs so he has not been tried and found wanting

A clean slate,  with size and some ruck and forward ability.  Hoping they have found another rough diamond from WA.

A good get   Go Dees

• Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

9 hours ago, Kent said:

Wow thats great😁

Really that’s a useless injured one legged kick half forward who played at two unsuccessful clubs at the time and frustrated supporters and fans alike. 

How any one on the limited highlights could liken Luker other than name ( and part joking) to the most disappointing and wasteful half forward we ever recruited is beyond belief and in fact disgraceful. 

He is a completely different player a KPForward not a flaky flanker and if his CV is truthful plays a bit like JVR crashing packs. 

Good luck and welcome Luker to the mighty Dees. 

• Clap 1

4 hours ago, kallangurdemon said:

Except that he is only on a 6 month contract 

9 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

He could be on an 18 month contract.

Pick 11 - Melbourne

Luker Kentfield

Height: 194cm
Position: Forward
Club: Subiaco
Contract: 6 months

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, 640MD said:

My granny never touched a drop until she was about 50.  Made up for it.  Used to run a sly grog - even granddad had to pay.

Not sure what this has to do with Kentfield but there you go

• Clap 1

7 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

I can remember Cowboy Neale not having much speed, either. Plus, he played with an alleged 27% body fat. However, true or false, he did kick a heap of goals as part of a well-rehearsed St Kilda forward line. 

I dream of getting my body fat down to 27%. 

• Haha 3

Looking at his highlights reels he looks like a competent footballer and has some excellent size about him, hope he gets a good run at it at Casey and wins a contract extension. Good luck Luker.!!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

Lacrosse? [censored] love it - that is one brutal sport... if he is up for that - then he'll go in very hard.

Unfortunately Australian lacrosse players aren't fairing too well atm. RiP. 

• Sad 1