PREGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

• Demonland changed the title to PREGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

I'd like to see Jefferson and Fullarton get a go this week, travel with the boys get serious and try and hold their positions when Roo and Turner are fit again.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

5 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Salo's a renowned slow starter when returning from injury.

Personally if that is the intention  (straight back in as a mid field experiment) i'd prefer to see him put in (at least) two solid hit outs at Casey and produce some pretty solid form as well!

He hasn't exactly set the world on fire through the middle imo and i wouldn't see him as being a 'proven' starting mid fielder (yet) either.

As a coach, action always speaks louder than words.  How bad does he want to play this role?  Does he have what's required to make a difference?

It's a big ask for any non-midfielder to suddenly run through there on a regular basis, mentally but especially physically.  No different for Salo.

Of course that won't happen as SG never utilises Casey for this sort of match fitness / form build up for non-fringe regular 22s for some reason.

Alternatively if he's just slotting back to his usual HB role there shld be no issues coming in (off the bench?).

We have been too easy on him on DL consider how we brutally go after other players  I reckon. He hasn’t really played a good game since the 21 GF. Missed at least half the games due to injury as well. 

Will be an unpopular view but will still have some trade currency if we could find someone to take his contract. If we pay some of his salary, might be able to snare a late round 1 pick. 

• Like 2
  • Thinking 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

We have been too easy on him on DL consider how we brutally go after other players  I reckon. He hasn’t really played a good game since the 21 GF. Missed at least half the games due to injury as well. 

Will be an unpopular view but will still have some trade currency if we could find someone to take his contract. If we pay some of his salary, might be able to snare a late round 1 pick. 

No way another club would offer a round 1 pick for him.

He was Melbourne's best player in Q1 (and possibly Q2) in the 2021 GF.

Agree that his form has been pretty ordinary the past few years. But it would be very sad to see him go. I'm sure he will be a one player club. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Likely that Fullarton will get a chance this week. Has shown moderate form for Casey but has some skills and can do relief rucking (in absence of JVR). 

Does anyone actually know if Fullerton is fit to play this week?  Conflicting reports re illness vs injury.  If he really is fit I suspect out of necessity, hope rather than expectation,  he will get a MFC debut.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Winners at last said:

No way another club would offer a round 1 pick for him.

He was Melbourne's best player in Q1 (and possibly Q2) in the 2021 GF.

Agree that his form has been pretty ordinary the past few years. But it would be very sad to see him go. I'm sure he will be a one player club. 

Agree on the 1st round pick - it is a long shot but if we take some of the salary then it becomes more palatable. I’d even take a 2nd tbh if it meant we’d get someone special. You have Woey, K. Brown and Sestan developing, better to start blooding them and getting something back while Salo still has some value.

Brutal industry, but he takes a spot that is going to be pivotal to our new ball movement patterns. 

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

9 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

He is way past his best 

No way is he auto selection in my view

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Thank god it's not game day again.

Though it's gone from the first game of the round to the last game of the round!

My kingdom for some non outlier games.

Edited by binman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

52 minutes ago, Kent said:

He is way past his best 

No way is he auto selection in my view

To clarify, salo is not in your opinion best 22 and he would not be an auto selection if you were selecting the side.

Or you don't think he is an auto selection in the real world, ie you don't think goody has salo in his best 22 and even when fit and available is no sure thing to come into the team?

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

He quite frankly hasn't set the world on fire at all since getting injured in round 1 2022.

28 degrees in Perth on Sunday. Is that abnormally high for this time of year over there?

They've had a crazy hot summer over there.  Last time i heard their forecast (Monday) it basically said 28 every day this week or something along those lines.

• Shocked 1

Salem's Player Ratings according to Wheelo Ratings

2021 - 10th for MFC (9.68 points)

2022 - 29th for MFC (5.15 points)

2023 - 21st for MFC (7.88 points)

2024 - 18th for MFC (7.72 points)

He is definitely not a lock in our best side.

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Fat Tony said:

Salem's Player Ratings according to Wheelo Ratings

2021 - 10th for MFC (9.68 points)

2022 - 29th for MFC (5.15 points)

2023 - 21st for MFC (7.88 points)

2024 - 18th for MFC (7.72 points)

He is definitely not a lock in our best side.

That isn't great - even in 2021, finishing 10th is middle rung. I do wonder how much his thyroid issue is actually impacting his performance. 

I think Kynan Brown has all the traits of a HB flanker that can work into that role/spot. Can he be successful? im not sure  how good a kick and playmaker he is - but that is what we need. 

• Like 2

What we need from Salo is the mature head, physicality and flexibility. He is not a best 22 lock but there's still a place for him in the side. Wouldn't be opposed to him needing to build form in the 2s before returning. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

What we need from Salo is the mature head, physicality and flexibility. He is not a best 22 lock but there's still a place for him in the side. Wouldn't be opposed to him needing to build form in the 2s before returning. 

Not a lock in the best 22? Wash your mouth out.

• Haha 1
  • Clap 1

2 minutes ago, 12345_54321 said:

Not a lock in the best 22? Wash your mouth out.

He might replace a lower tier mid like Woey, Laurie or such but i don't think he owns his HB flank like he used to. 

• Like 3