Best Recruits from Other Clubs

• 4 weeks later...

Trying to think of players who were given no opportunity/ discarded by their former clubs … or who failed at their first club … who then were “saved” by the Dees and given a second chance and 

turned into excellent players. 

Not sure they’ve been many.  

Laurie Fowler.

Brian Wilson.  

Brett Lovett

Guy Rigoni. 

• Like 2

On 15/04/2024 at 10:31, Deelectable said:

Peter Moore won a Brownlow with us. If a debilitating back/ hamstring issue didn't cut his career short by at least a season Darcy Moore could well have been in Demon colours. Moore openly stated he loved the MFC.

Darcy Moore NO!

• Shocked 1

image.png.87735f192fd28241775c0be145cfce9e.png

This is or best recruit fro another club ever. For skills, toughness, leadership and for never playing a bad game. The man is an all timer. This gets lost. B. Lovett was vey good an J. White was super talented, deterined and successful. But, as the best recruit fro another club. Surely its a 1 horse field?

• Like 10

Maybe not the best player, but Bernie Vince is one of the most underrated and significant recruits we've had, he played a huge role in changing our culture 

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
On 21/04/2024 at 11:59, spirit of norm smith said:

Jeff White 236 games -MFC B&F winner

Brett Lovett 235 games - All Australian 

Brian Wilson 154 games - Brownlow Medallist

Laurie Fowler 140 games - 3x MFC B&F winner

Gary Baker 127 games -MFC B&F winner

Brent Moloney 122 games- MFC B&F winner

Anthony Ingerson 121 games 

Michael Hibberd 113 games- All Australian 🏆

* Jake Lever 110 games 🏆

* Jake Melksham 107 games 

Bernie Vince 100 games - MFC B&F winner

below 100 Games, notable players include 

* Stephen May 98 games 🏆

*Ed Langdon 94 games 🏆

Carl Ditterich ( Captain/coach, MFC B&F winner) 

Stephen Icke - MFC B&F winner

* Ben Brown 🏆

Ricky Jackson, Clint Bizzell, Dom Tyson, Marcus Seecamp, Peter Rohde, Henry Coles, Graham Gaunt, Shane Zantuck, Alan Jarrott, Darren Bennett, Stephen Powell, Cam Pedersen, Jeffrey Garlett, Sam Frost, Daniel Cross, Chris Heffernan. 

Of course there’s been some big names like Peter Moore (MFC Brownlow Medallist) , Kelvin Templeton, Jordan Lewis, Byron Pickett and Brent Crosswell.

Who could forget Mark “Jacko” Jackson.  

Others that were less memorable Mitch Clark, Chris Dawes, Les Parish, Craig Turley.

They all played in the mighty red and blue. 

Great list thanks @spirit of norm smith. Some very handy performers here. We've had far more hits than misses over the journey. Hope we get that Maysie bloke to 100 games.

Edited by Queanbeyan Demon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cam Pederson couldn't get a game at North before coming to us. Like Bernie Vince and Daniel Cross, was not the flashiest player, but gave a few seasons of very solid service in an ordinary side.

Will always have a soft spot for Pedo

• Like 8

Sestan for his 4th!  Looks so much better and natural playing as a medium HF.  Mid field probably not his go

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Bell playing the crumbing role 👍🏼😁

15 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Jeffo ...break out game!?  Nice run down

10 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Sestan for his 4th!  Looks so much better and natural playing as a medium HF.  Mid field probably not his go

Wrong thread DD.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Trying to think of players who were given no opportunity/ discarded by their former clubs … or who failed at their first club … who then were “saved” by the Dees and given a second chance and 

turned into excellent players. 

Not sure they’ve been many.  

Laurie Fowler.

Brian Wilson.  

Brett Lovett

Guy Rigoni. 

Golly, these blokes were phantastique in Demon colours - all four of 'em.  Wish we had a few more of them, now!

• Like 1

Why would you give up an extra at the stoppage when you're a goal behind with a few minutes to go.

Match them around stoppage and try and clear quickly into the f50 surely to get the scores level

Posted (edited)

Moniz off HB is giving up Peter to pay Paul for mine.  No quality smalls up forward to convert or put decent pressure on inside 50.

The oppo just waltz it out with ease far too often.

Edited by Demon Dynasty

Well i have no idea how i ended up in here.  Started off in the Casey thread

Went off the rails like the boys in the second half 😅

• Haha 2

I guess the pattern when we have bought many of those players is when we were not travelling very well and needed experience for the existing playing group. While I think all gave something to the club in their time, I really liked watching Vardy play, and it game in the pouring rain in Perth when he won it for us. 

Whereas May and Lever came as a piece to get the Cup for us.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, darkhorse72 said:

I guess the pattern when we have bought many of those players is when we were not travelling very well and needed experience for the existing playing group. While I think all gave something to the club in their time, I really liked watching Vardy play, and it game in the pouring rain in Perth when he won it for us. 

Whereas May and Lever came as a piece to get the Cup for us.  

Lever, May, Langdon, and I'd add Ben Brown, each filled vital holes in our line-up leading to our 2021 success.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

On 21/04/2024 at 11:59, spirit of norm smith said:

Others that were less memorable Mitch Clark, Chris Dawes, Les Parish, Craig Turley.

Alistair Clarkson?

• Thinking 1

Posted (edited)

Let’s get this back on track. Which players recruited were discarded or delisted by their former clubs and not getting game time and went on to be very very good career players at the Dees. 

Only Lovett, Rigoni, Wilson, Fowler shine out. Pedersen was a good one too for a short period.  Most over the past 50 years have faded into the abyss. 

Otherwise our star recruits were most predominantly traded in and enticed through either a return home , contract length, contract dollars or the hope of better times.  Some good and some not so good. 

Edited by spirit of norm smith
F