• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Everyone Saying We Will Drop

gregdemon

17 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

It is an issue. It's been an issue for two years and most likely cost us a flag. Can't see any arguments against this.

1However if Jvr continues his form and growth and Petty and Fritta are injury free, I feel it's not that serious.

But we have to have realistic expectations with Bbb, Tmac and Shackle.

I'm not sure it cost us in 2022 (as much) as nearly the whole team ran out legs

Edited by Macca

1 hour ago, Macca said:

So if Gawn breaks down and there's no Schache in reserve we would have had to use our only KPF in the ruck (T-Mac who was on one leg)

Leaves us with zero KPF's in a final?  Smith & Fritsch are 3rd & 4th forwards only 

We ran out of KPF's as well as an adequate 2nd ruck

If Schache was sub in case Gawn went down then why wasn’t Grundy the sub? If TMac was on one leg why wasn’t a fit Schache or Grundy in front of him? Any way you look at it it was an error. TMac on the field was an error, Schache as a non starting sub was an error. We still should have won that game easily. Mistakes were made and as with all mistakes they’re excusable but you have to admit team selection was poor that night as was the way we played. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

If Schache was sub in case Gawn went down then why wasn’t Grundy the sub? 

Grundy had checked out (in my view)

And maybe the MC thought they could get more out of T-Mac

Sometimes you don't get the answers until you get the answers

49 minutes ago, Macca said:

Interesting thought on Grundy. It has to be the reason. The club (and grundy) have been very tight lipped and I haven't heard a word of disparagement from either party.

I personally can't believe they didn't play Grundy given A) it was final, B) it was against his old club and C) we beat then in rd 13 with two rucks.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Macca said:

So you’re agreeing that playing TMac was a mistake. 😂

Edited by Roost it far

6 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

So you’re agreeing that playing TMac was a mistake. 😂

No

There is no shouda couda wouda

You live with decisions, you can"t turn back the clock

You have to talk before the event, not in hindsight

17 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Interesting thought on Grundy. It has to be the reason. The club (and grundy) have been very tight lipped and I haven't heard a word of disparagement from either party.

I personally can't believe they didn't play Grundy given A) it was final, B) it was against his old club and C) we beat then in rd 13 with two rucks.

If Grundy had checked out he's not going to be considered 

But don't forget that we drew the curtains on Grundy 

Edited by Macca

7 minutes ago, Macca said:

No

There is no shouda couda wouda

You live with decisions, you can"t turn back the clock

You have to talk before the event, not in hindsight

You’re hilarious, so it was a mistake but only in hindsight?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Roost it far said:

You’re hilarious, so it was a mistake but only in hindsight?

No it's not that

We took a chance on T-Mac and it didn't work.  We had no other KPF's other than Schache and as a KPF, Schache has done virtually nothing

So even a banged up T-Mac is better than Schache

Edited by Macca

13 minutes ago, Macca said:

No it's not that

We took a chance on T-Mac and it didn't work.  We had no other KPF's other than Schache and as a KPF, Schache has done virtually nothing

So even a banged up T-Mac is better than Schache

All this conversation has done is prove how little you know about the game

Do you reread your posts before posting? 

On 06/02/2024 at 17:58, Queanbeyan Demon said:

In 2024:

• Carltank will be found out and drop
  • St Kilda will be botton 6
  • Footscray will implode
  • Jeelong bottom 10
  • The Filth will do what they always do after they win a flag - crash and burn
  • Brisbane can't win on the MCG in front of 90,000
  • Port are psychos
  • Steak and Kidney will run on top of the ground on the basis of home town umpiring
  • Essenscum will finish 19th
  • Crows will choke on their own publicity or a chicken wing - whichever comes first
  • Keep GWS safe - they seem tuff
  • Richmond will be relegated to the VFA
  • Meth Coke will be charged with crimes against humanity
  • Heavy Ho will tread water
  • Horeforn will jump up but still 2 or 3 years away
  • GC *ums will rise with the bullet as will Norf.

So there you have it.

1. Deez play GC in the granny
  2. Maysie runs through the quarter-time huddle and flattens Dimma
  3. We win by 17 goals with JVR kicking 9 straight and Trac picking up a second Normie as well as booting 2.7 and 3 OOBOTF.

I also predict the Deez will pick-up Goodstart Childcare Centres as our shorts sponsor.

I also heard this.

• Haha 1

If people want cheering up, just remember that in 2017 Richmond won their breakthrough premiership with just one tall forward, the 193cm Jack Riewoldt.

And the forward line coach that made that work is now our forward line coach.

I think we can all agree that when Petty gets back on the park with a good run at it, he at the least provides the level of structure that Lynch added when Richmond acquired him as a free agent and went on to win two more premierships.

You don't need lots of tall forwards, just a couple of effective ones.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roost it far said:

Do you reread your posts before posting? 

You ask a lot of questions but most of them look like the questions of someone who needs to be educated about how we went about it in the SF

Edited by Macca

58 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

It was weird, absolutely no doubt.

I have no intel on this, and maybe i'm being unfair on Grundy, but i have also wondered if he had he checked out. I wasn't convinced by his body language at Casey i have to admit. 

And perhaps more than that was hesitant, even if only sub consciously, to play for fear of getting injured and scuttling the trade to the Swans. 

Even in those circumstances you'd think they might still play him.

But my sense of Goody is that he would never play someone that wasn't 1000% invested and all in - not least because of the message that sends to the rest of the team, last season and beyond. 

After all, he was gone at season's end and if was any concerns about Grundy's investment all the players would have been aware of it. 

Goody thinks long term and his sense may well have been that Tmac at 80% was a better bet than an ambivalent Grundy, with the added benefit of strengthening team culture by rewarding a stalwart of the club, a premiership player no less, who is staying at the dees in 2024 and beyond.  

• Like 3

It's hard to form much of a view about season 2024 until you see them perform against opposition, i.e. upcoming games against Richmond and Carlton.

Even then, there's only so much to take out of practice matches.

Obviously, the key forward stocks on the surface are concerning, but I'll wait for a bit more evidence before getting too forlorn.  It's a very long season and plenty of our ''game'', as in backs, mids and overall talent, will be superior to most.  Things don't have to be perfect from the get-go to succeed.

Edited by Gator
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Macca said:

Schache was unused as Gawn managed to battle through with a broken toe

So he wasn't needed but we did need him in reserve

Rubbish Should  have played from halfway through 3rd quarter instead of Tmac.

Agree that injuries also contributed to our loss in both 2023 finals with forwards missing. 

In 2022 it was our fitness and many players unable to play a full game out due to their poor fitness and carrying injuries. 

Roost it Far is too harsh. The major reasons are our fitness in 2022 and injuries and poor forward work plus Sub not used in Semi in 2023. 

2 hours ago, 58er said:

Roost it Far is too harsh. The major reasons are our fitness in 2022 and injuries and poor forward work plus Sub not used in Semi in 2023. 

Yes, there are better and far more mature ways of critiquing your team or players without resorting to using terms such as weak, insipid, soft underbelly and wetting the bed etc etc

And as @Slartibartfast mentioned, even a banged up T-Mac is better value than Schache

And if he was only a reserve for Max, he wasn't needed

Main issue ... the lack of quality forwards and we're confronted with the same issue this year (so far) 

Edited by Macca

@58er

If we'd taken T-Mac off for Schache, what might we have done if Gawn then needed to come off with his brokren toe?  

27 minutes ago, Macca said:

Yes, there are better and far more mature ways of critiqing your team or players without resorting to using terms such as weak, insipid, soft underbelly and wetting the bed etc etc

And as @Slartibartfast mentioned, even a banged up T-Mac is better value than Schache

And if he was only a reserve for Max, he wasn't needed

Main issue ... the lack of quality forwards and we're confronted with the same issue this year (so far) 

Yes Macca but if we had a full list it all changes. Imagine if we had 6 defenders out with May lever and Salo say plus 3!others ? Defence would look pretty poor.

Don’t  agree about your Tmac comment  as said before you will never know of you don’t give it a go. 

Can’t believe you are wrapping up OD. He never makes or hardly ever makes a positive comment about the Club.

He is  a total shocker with many of his throwaways comments that are just off the cuff dreadful and so negative. 
I often pick him up on such comments that are of no benefit to our Club or admin or else. 

His pet subjects for constant criticism are Training ground publicity Too many Dees fans now at Dees games  and the fixture not like old days plus the transport arrangements. 

Never how well we play or praise for players or other things positive. 

Sorry Macca but it’s all there in his posts. No 21 st Century solutions either. 

8 minutes ago, 58er said:

Yes Macca but if we had a full list it all changes. Imagine if we had 6 defenders out with May lever and Salo say plus 3!others ? Defence would look pretty poor.

Don’t  agree about your Tmac comment  as said before you will never know of you don’t give it a go. 

Can’t believe you are wrapping up OD. He never makes or hardly ever makes a positive comment about the Club.

He is  a total shocker with many of his throwaways comments that are just off the cuff dreadful and so negative. 
I often pick him up on such comments that are of no benefit to our Club or admin or else. 

His pet subjects for constant criticism are Training ground publicity Too many Dees fans now at Dees games  and the fixture not like old days plus the transport arrangements. 

Never how well we play or praise for players or other things positive. 

Sorry Macca but it’s all there in his posts. No 21 st Century solutions either. 

I prefer posters who keep it real

And again, if we'd taken T-Mac off what happens if we then needed to take Gawn off (broken toe)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, binman said:

It was weird, absolutely no doubt.

I have no intel on this, and maybe i'm being unfair on Grundy, but i have also wondered if he had he checked out. I wasn't convinced by his body language at Casey i have to admit. 

And perhaps more than that was hesitant, even if only sub consciously, to play for fear of getting injured and scuttling the trade to the Swans. 

Even in those circumstances you'd think they might still play him.

But my sense of Goody is that he would never play someone that wasn't 1000% invested and all in - not least because of the message that sends to the rest of the team, last season and beyond. 

After all, he was gone at season's end and if was any concerns about Grundy's investment all the players would have been aware of it. 

Goody thinks long term and his sense may well have been that Tmac at 80% was a better bet than an ambivalent Grundy, with the added benefit of strengthening team culture by rewarding a stalwart of the club, a premiership player no less, who is staying at the dees in 2024 and beyond.  

Yes, the issue of Grundy possibly getting injured was a 2 way factor

For our club, we've got a player who we don't really need anymore on a deal worth close on $3Million for another 4 years

And we knew he was off to a club of his own choice so we needed to get him there without any hiccups

Plus, the other factors that have been raised ... for instance, if it only came down to a choice between Grundy & Schache as the reserve ruckman only, I'vd got no doubt that we would have chosen Grundy under normal circumstances (but would he have been happy as the sub?)

But the circumstances were complicated

The red herring was Gawn's broken toe which many had forgotten about (of course, at the time, we were largely pre-occupied with the Maynard tribunal hearing)

Max Gawn Broken Toe (carried for a number weeks)

4 hours ago, Macca said:

I prefer posters who keep it real

And again, if we'd taken T-Mac off what happens if we then needed to take Gawn off (broken toe)

We use Schache. That’s what he was lined up to do. Ruck  and forward. 

1 minute ago, 58er said:

We use Schache. That’s what he was lined up to do. Ruck  and forward. 

So Schache is a KPF & First ruck at the same time?

Remembering that T-Mac was subbed off at half time according to your judgement (so he can't come back on)

And if Gawn has to come off because of the broken toe he's probably off for good as well

We'd only have 3 on the interchange