Jump to content

Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

    Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

    We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

    However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

    The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

    Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

    We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

    WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

    Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.


Change coming to the Academy System


Whispering_Jack

Recommended Posts

Bids should happen before trade period. Trading out of early picks and using multiple nothing picks is a joke.

All the JUH sooking cost us Mac Andrew. Most players who qualify as NGA are not true NGA.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As it currently stands the only teams that benefit from the academies are the northern states teams. There is no incentive for teams in Victoria to put any resources into them here as there is no benefit other than just having a presence. The only teams that benefit from the academies down here are the Coates League teams.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh good, flip the NGAs back to 20 and distort the draft more. 

All for what? Players who have local teams, elite junior rep teams and most of the time school programs but we pretend the AFL clubs have developed them?

The admission criteria is rubbish. Kids born when their Australian parents were working overseas. Kids who came here when they were infants. Indigenous people who (no comment). Kids with one parent born overseas, why is that a thing?

There’s surely ways to invest in Indigenous and migrant communities and have the rising tide lift all boats.

It seems like a way to placate the 14 non Northern clubs but it will only distort things further. It’s only increasing the extent with which your zone matters and we saw how dangerous a recruiting zone based comp was towards the later decades of the VFL.

There’s easy changes to the bidding process that would restrict the Northern Academies and Father Sons from massively distorting the draft which is much fairer than fighting academies with more academies. 

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe clubs should be restricted as to how many of their academy kids they can bid on each draft. Gold Coast pick up 3 top 15 picks in this draft and another at 26. They could do that each year: bring through the best 3 or 4 players in Queensland and pay nothing for them. There’s no way clubs get 3 or 4 gun F/S selections each year. I’m all for the equality of the competition, but surely GC and GWS have had enough concessions now?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So we lose access to Mac Andrew (if we really ranked him) as a knee jerk reaction to JUH, and now there is a partial reversal by the world experts at making big decisions on the run, aka AFL.   Sounds about the way they run things. 

  • Like 1
  • Clap 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 3183 Dee said:

...but surely GC and GWS have had enough concessions now?

I think the view that the AFL would take is they haven't had enough concessions until they're winning constant premierships.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Seriously there should be no academies. These clubs established themselves in areas where they knew Aussie Rules doesn’t have a stronghold. They knew this and went ahead with locating there anyway.

Actions have consequences. Academies should be in place to help bring kids into AFL pathways that otherwise would not be available, not to specific clubs themselves. What do you think WA, SA, VIC and TAS do?

For the betterment of the game, not the club.

If they want them, they can trade for them. No more leg ups. Id even be willing to scrap the F/S rule to even it all out. There has to be an even playing field.

Edited by Demon Disciple
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

I think the view that the AFL would take is they haven't had enough concessions until they're winning constant premierships.

True dat. Looks like GC are on the right track.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, monoccular said:

So we lose access to Mac Andrew (if we really ranked him) as a knee jerk reaction to JUH, and now there is a partial reversal by the world experts at making big decisions on the run, aka AFL.   Sounds about the way they run things. 

That was a friggen outrage when they just blatantly robbed us of Mac Andrew straight after JUH.

Can't let the Dees get too strong 💪 otherwise Collingwood and Carlton might have a 💩 Fit about it.

Edited by YesitwasaWin4theAges
  • Angry 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You be loving it if you were Gold Coast, trade out all your early picks and still get 3 first round picks. I'd be abusing it as much as I could as long as it lasts

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

Seriously there should be no academies. These clubs established themselves in areas where they knew Aussie Rules doesn’t have a stronghold. They knew this and went ahead with locating there anyway.

Actions have consequences. Academies should be in place to help bring kids into AFL pathways that otherwise would not be available, not to specific clubs themselves. What do you think WA, SA, VIC and TAS do?

For the betterment of the game, not the club.

If they want them, they can trade for them. No more leg ups. Id even be willing to scrap the F/S rule to even it all out. There has to be an even playing field.

The F/S one is an interesting one. The stronger clubs regularly screwed the competition over with the successful 'money in paper bags' approach to get the best players to play for them. They then get rewarded again through talented offspring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, drdrake said:

Sydney and Brisbane are starting to double dip, you have the NGA and FS picks.  

It’s crazy than Sydney could take Nick Blakey. North were completely dudded. He would have played AFL at a high level regardless of their academy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, godees said:

It’s crazy than Sydney could take Nick Blakey. North were completely dudded. He would have played AFL at a high level regardless of their academy.

Next year Brisbane gets another Ashcroft early tip for pick 1, im sure they will have something in there academy.  It means they can be aggressive at the trade table knowing they only need points to cover the bid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh good, the answer to academies is more academies if the NGA switches back to inside 40.

Apart from being a total disaster for fairness and draft equality if we slowly shift to a heavily ‘academised’ sport we’ll end up cooking a bunch of kids childhoods be making them semi pro sportsmen at the age of 14.

 

  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 26/11/2023 at 12:47, drdrake said:

Next year Brisbane gets another Ashcroft early tip for pick 1, im sure they will have something in there academy.  It means they can be aggressive at the trade table knowing they only need points to cover the bid.

Yes the Lions also have Sam Marshall in 2024 draft pack. Hes a strong young mid/half back. He is boarding at Melbourne Grammar and got a VFL game as a 17yo with Brisbane.  He also played in under 18s this year with the Allies and Sandringham Dragons. I’d have him around the pick 13-14 mark right now so another GIFT for the Lions. A first round gift indeed !!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Northern states teams need to continue to have priority access to draftees from their states. It grows the game there which is still necessary.

They need to pay full price at the draft and use a pick within 18 (ie one round) of the bid that would prevent  shenanigans like GC this year.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, old55 said:

Northern states teams need to continue to have priority access to draftees from their states. It grows the game there which is still necessary.

They need to pay full price at the draft and use a pick within 18 (ie one round) of the bid that would prevent  shenanigans like GC this year.

Within 10, no points discount and only one first rounder per year and we’re nearly there. Same for fathers sons.

Time to restore some sanity to the draft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/11/2023 at 14:17, DeeSpencer said:

Oh good, flip the NGAs back to 20 and distort the draft more. 

All for what? Players who have local teams, elite junior rep teams and most of the time school programs but we pretend the AFL clubs have developed them?

The admission criteria is rubbish. Kids born when their Australian parents were working overseas. Kids who came here when they were infants. Indigenous people who (no comment). Kids with one parent born overseas, why is that a thing?

There’s surely ways to invest in Indigenous and migrant communities and have the rising tide lift all boats.

It seems like a way to placate the 14 non Northern clubs but it will only distort things further. It’s only increasing the extent with which your zone matters and we saw how dangerous a recruiting zone based comp was towards the later decades of the VFL.

There’s easy changes to the bidding process that would restrict the Northern Academies and Father Sons from massively distorting the draft which is much fairer than fighting academies with more academies. 

 

3 hours ago, old55 said:

Northern states teams need to continue to have priority access to draftees from their states. It grows the game there which is still necessary.

They need to pay full price at the draft and use a pick within 18 (ie one round) of the bid that would prevent  shenanigans like GC this year.

Agree that the Northern states need to get access and have development $'s to grow the game.

A fairer bidding system needs to be put in place as 'Dee' posts...

Can't for the life of me see why clubs in football states need academies.

There is a very good reason we got rid of zones all those years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/11/2023 at 16:17, Clintosaurus said:

Bids should happen before trade period. Trading out of early picks and using multiple nothing picks is a joke.

All the JUH sooking cost us Mac Andrew. Most players who qualify as NGA are not true NGA.

That makes sense as then the Draft is "clean" cut when each Club knows when their next "Call" is coming. The NFL do not have an academy pick system like the AFL.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So according to The Age article, an academy or f/s would need to use a pick in the round a bid is placed to be matched, either current year or a future pick.

Not next year, of course, because picks have already been traded.

But guess what?... just in time for Kalani White in 2025 draft! Once again the goal posts are shifted and we come out losers

Coll, GCS and WB must be howling with laughter at the thought of this, given their great hauls under previous rules

Edited by Stiff Arm
  • Like 1
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    GAMEDAY: Practice Match vs Carlton

    It's Game Day and the Demons are headed for a date with the Blues at Ikon Park for their final practice match before the ball is kicked in anger to open the season in just over a week's time. Date: Wednesday 28th February 2024 Location: Ikon Park Gates Open: 5:30pm Match commences: 6:40pm Watch: Foxtel & Kayo VFL practice match: Please note, the VFL practice match (10:30am) is no longer open to public. Entry: Your entry gate will be detailed on your ticket (4, 5 or 6)

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 4

    TRAINING: Tuesday 27th February 2024

    I headed down to Gosch’s Paddock this morning for the Captain’s Run in the lead up to tomorrow night’s practice match against the Blues.  The squad that took the field was indicative of the lineup for that match at Ikon Park.  Likely Selections based on the groupings of players at the Captain's Run today at Gosch's Paddock. Main Group: Gawn, Viney, May, JVR, Lever, Petracca, McVee, Windsor, Billings, Langdon, Bowey, Schache, Rivers, ANB, Fritsch, Sparrow, Chandler, Kozzy,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports 4

    SCRUTINY & RESILIENCE by Whispering Jack

    If the week when preseason training melds into scratch matches with other clubs, is the first marker for the beginning of a new season, then this has certainly been a torrid opener for the Melbourne Football Club in its campaign to remain a leading AFL premiership contender in 2024. The Demons were already under enormous scrutiny from the media and football’s fan base (including their own) after consecutive straight-sets finals exits, with Clayton Oliver’s well documented woes, the Joel Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 27

    Angus Brayshaw Forced into Retirement

    After 167 games including the drought breaking Premiership Angus Brayshaw has made the heart breaking decision to medically retire from football as a result of a series of serious head knocks over his nearly decade of footy. We wish Gus all the best and he'll always be a hero at Demonland. 😢

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 414

    PODCAST: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Tuesday, 20th February @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Scratch Match loss to the Tigers and hopefully provide me with some free MFCSS therapy. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 43

    PREGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Dees will play their final practice match before the start of the 2024 seasons against the Blues at Ikon Park. What are you wanting to see in this final hit out before the season proper? Will Clarry & Salo return to the side? 2024 AAMI Community Series | Carlton v Melbourne Date: Wednesday 28 February Time: 6:40pm (AEDT) Location: IKON Park | Wurundjeri

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 183

    POSTGAME: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Dees were outclassed and outmuscled in its first practice hit out for the 2024 season against the Tigers going down by 23 points at Casey Fields. 

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 287

    GAMEDAY: Match SIM vs Richmond

    It's Game Day and it's been 156 days since the Demons were bundled out of the finals in straight sets for the 2nd year in a row. Our redemption starts here. Remember it's only a practice match if we lose. Date: Sunday 18th Feb Location: Casey Fields Gate open: 9.30am Match commences: 10am Watch: Foxtel & Kayo Inclusions: Seven-quarter match simulation Signing opportunities Kids' activities Partner giveaways Demons Squad: 1. Steven May 2. Jacob Van Rooyen

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 402

    TRAINING: Saturday 17th February 2024

    On the eve of the Dees first practice match for the 2024 season a couple of Demonland Trackwatchers bring you their observations from today’s Captain’s Run at Gosch’s Paddock.  KEV MARTIN’S CAPTAIN’S RUN OBSERVATIONS Looks a a dress rehearsal Captain's run. 23 out doing drills.  Included is Will Verall, Kynan Brown, Bailey Laurie, Caleb Windsor, Blake Howes, Adam Tomlinson, Kade Chandler, Jack Billings and Josh Schache. Rehab include BBB, Tom Fullarton, TMac, AMW, Woey.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...