Jump to content

Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

    Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

    Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

    We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

    However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

    The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

    Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

    We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

    WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

    Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.


Welcome to Demonland: Pick 11


dazzledavey36

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

At the time the move was probably for Windsor but now it sounds like he’ll be gone even earlier than we expected 

Tim Lamb interview from a month ago. I suggest the tier of quality changes and we have him in the next tier. We gave up a fair bit to move 3 spots in a draft to get a player who would still be there.

Club perceives a large jump in available talent at pick 11 compared to pick 14. 'Confident of getting two top quality players with 6 and 11'.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Lil_red_fire_engine said:

Tim Lamb interview from a month ago. I suggest the tier of quality changes and we have him in the next tier. We gave up a fair bit to move 3 spots in a draft to get a player who would still be there.

Club perceives a large jump in available talent at pick 11 compared to pick 14. 'Confident of getting two top quality players with 6 and 11'.

The article mentions Sydney and StKilda having interest in Tholstrup who have picks 12 and 13. Maybe not a coincidence we moved ahead of these two.

Anyway we've been linked to Curtin, Caddy, Leake, Watson, Sanders, Windsor, Wilson, O'Sullivan, Murphy and now Tholstrup with potential interest in Simpson if he's available late in the draft. Still a bit to play out.

What's interesting is I haven't heard any further speculation of us trying to move up for one of the Roos picks.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not saying this is the case, but perhaps leaking interest in Curtin and Tholstrup is a way of making the Eagles look at our offer for pick 1 again. 

"This is what you could be getting Eagles, wink wink, nudge nudge..."

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thinking 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Not saying this is the case, but perhaps leaking interest in Curtin and Tholstrup is a way of making the Eagles look at our offer for pick 1 again. 

"This is what you could be getting Eagles, wink wink, nudge nudge..."


I think there’s likely an element of subterfuge so that other clubs have no idea who we’re going to pick, thereby giving us options, with teams ahead of us having maybe a false sense of security their target will be still available if they trade with us to get us up the order, and teams behind us thinking they may need to trade up in the order to secure a target that we actually have no interest in.

It’s due diligence, but I also think there’s a healthy element of ducks & drakes to this.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Nascent said:

The article mentions Sydney and StKilda having interest in Tholstrup who have picks 12 and 13. Maybe not a coincidence we moved ahead of these two.

Anyway we've been linked to Curtin, Caddy, Leake, Watson, Sanders, Windsor, Wilson, O'Sullivan, Murphy and now Tholstrup with potential interest in Simpson if he's available late in the draft. Still a bit to play out.

What's interesting is I haven't heard any further speculation of us trying to move up for one of the Roos picks.

Where's the Simpson bit from

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mach5 said:


I think there’s likely an element of subterfuge so that other clubs have no idea who we’re going to pick, thereby giving us options, with teams ahead of us having maybe a false sense of security their target will be still available if they trade with us to get us up the order, and teams behind us thinking they may need to trade up in the order to secure a target that we actually have no interest in.

It’s due diligence, but I also think there’s a healthy element of ducks & drakes to this.

Do you think Lamb has such a reputation amongst his peers that the leaking of interests will actually turn things on their heads and make other teams rethink their strategy? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, adonski said:

Where's the Simpson bit from

Cant remember exactly where but was one of these recent phantoms that stated we might have interest if he's still on the board for our 42. Could be without substance though but read like there was a known link from memory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


7 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Do you think Lamb has such a reputation amongst his peers that the leaking of interests will actually turn things on their heads and make other teams rethink their strategy? 


I’m not sure it’s that. I think clubs recruiting teams definitely see themselves as amateur (professional) sleuths, and try to dig up dirt to get an idea of what other clubs will do with their selections. I also think it’s our duty to obfuscate and conceal our true intentions, particularly after situations like when it appeared Geelong traded to immediately before our pick to gazump us on Holmes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mach5 said:


I’m not sure it’s that. I think clubs recruiting teams definitely see themselves as amateur (professional) sleuths, and try to dig up dirt to get an idea of what other clubs will do with their selections. I also think it’s our duty to obfuscate and conceal our true intentions, particularly after situations like when it appeared Geelong traded to immediately before our pick to gazump us on Holmes.


In addition, I think we take this approach (attempting to find out who over clubs will select) very seriously, particularly JT & TL with their investigative skills. I recall the draft video from the LJ/Pickett/Rivers draft when JT was supremely confident Riv would fall to us around 5 or so picks later, based on us knowing which players other clubs liked.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Mach5 said:


In addition, I think we take this approach (attempting to find out who over clubs will select) very seriously, particularly JT & TL with their investigative skills. I recall the draft video from the LJ/Pickett/Rivers draft when JT was supremely confident Riv would fall to us around 5 or so picks later, based on us knowing which players other clubs liked.

I love our recruiting team they are A grade.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if this pick is influenced by the first pick.

If Curtin and we see him as KPS, 11 is unlikely to be O’Shllivan or Murphy

If Sanders, 11 in unlikely to be a genuine on baller like C Edwards

If Watson or Caddy then less likely to take another forward in Tholstrup 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I wonder if this pick is influenced by the first pick.

If Curtin and we see him as KPS, 11 is unlikely to be O’Shllivan or Murphy

If Sanders, 11 in unlikely to be a genuine on baller like C Edwards

If Watson or Caddy then less likely to take another forward in Tholstrup 

hmm… like if we can get Viney no need to pick wines? 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, FTB said:

Hearing that we’re right into Koltyn Tholstrup with this pick. Hard as nails mid/fwd from WA. There’s likely a few names ahead of him on the draft board but if they’re all taken then Koltyn could be our man. Could be a WA double with Curtin firming for us at pick 6.

We haven’t learnt much IMO from the last 2 years. Hard as nails might sound good to Goody but we have a few ie JV Trac Clarry Sparrow what we need is a skilled outsider runner and finisher mid like Windsor (who kicks goals to) and another key position player like Curtin ( if available ) preferably or if not then Caddy as a forward ahead of O’Sullivan as a back. 

Alternatively selecting  Sanders or Watson is fine as next best but Kolthrup I believe is more of the same hard as nails style. Class and finishing up forward are obvious needs and we should be able to add this in our 6/11 picks of the top dozen in the AFL while the most of the other top 4 and 4 to 8 have to go with their trades for needs already acquired.

Swans and Port had gaping gaps in their structure ( key positions) and have addressed that adequately but no real A graders other than Grundy although plenty of handy B’s. 

I believe we have targeted McAdam ( he really chose us which could be the recruit of the year ( depending on shady he delivers fit our forward mix, Billing’s need is to have his best seasons now the pressure of the Saints is lifted and who knows what limits a climate change May unearth a 24yo ruck/ forward prospect in the mix of our Captain and forwards. 

Add say a Windsor plus A key position forward or back of quality with our improved Casey backups Howes AMZ Laurie Disco Jefferson and Kynan  Brown on the ball potential our dire needs have all been attempted to be added to our existing stars and valuable tile players.

Big pre seasons and a couple more Judd McVees types out of our mix will put smiles on our faces plus anguish on our opponents in 2024. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 58er said:

We haven’t learnt much IMO from the last 2 years. Hard as nails might sound good to Goody but we have a few ie JV Trac Clarry Sparrow what we need is a skilled outsider runner and finisher mid like Windsor (who kicks goals to) and another key position player like Curtin ( if available ) preferably or if not then Caddy as a forward ahead of O’Sullivan as a back. 

Alternatively selecting  Sanders or Watson is fine as next best but Kolthrup I believe is more of the same hard as nails style. Class and finishing up forward are obvious needs and we should be able to add this in our 6/11 picks of the top dozen in the AFL while the most of the other top 4 and 4 to 8 have to go with their trades for needs already acquired.

Swans and Port had gaping gaps in their structure ( key positions) and have addressed that adequately but no real A graders other than Grundy although plenty of handy B’s. 

I believe we have targeted McAdam ( he really chose us which could be the recruit of the year ( depending on shady he delivers fit our forward mix, Billing’s need is to have his best seasons now the pressure of the Saints is lifted and who knows what limits a climate change May unearth a 24yo ruck/ forward prospect in the mix of our Captain and forwards. 

Add say a Windsor plus A key position forward or back of quality with our improved Casey backups Howes AMZ Laurie Disco Jefferson and Kynan  Brown on the ball potential our dire needs have all been attempted to be added to our existing stars and valuable tile players.

Big pre seasons and a couple more Judd McVees types out of our mix will put smiles on our faces plus anguish on our opponents in 2024. 

Tile = role 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 31/10/2023 at 12:11, Demon Dynasty said:

If that is the case i'd also be pretty chuffed if we picked up DeMattia with 11 as well.  The guy has some wheels and a pretty decent left foot on him.  We need some speed on the outside and a raking left foot wouldn't do any harm either coming inside 50.

It seems to me that "raking" is only ever used to describe left-footers. If that's correct (is it?), what's the equivalent adjective to describe right-footers?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 14/11/2023 at 14:28, Nascent said:

Not saying this is the case, but perhaps leaking interest in Curtin and Tholstrup is a way of making the Eagles look at our offer for pick 1 again. 

"This is what you could be getting Eagles, wink wink, nudge nudge..."

Smoke and mirrors this draft. Twomey said on gettable the same clubs were in line for the same players in the first 10 or more picks.

Usually we see one or 2 surprise selections.

So they would be playing games with each other.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, demoncat said:

Word is that Adelaide have been particularly keen to move to 7 to grab Curtin

I reckon we’d be trying to move up but might be difficult to match Adelaide’s assets (10, 14 and 20)

10, 14 and 20 for 6 and 42?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    TRAINING: Friday 19th April 2024

    They are out for a run just as it starts raining. It didn't last long, ended up a reasonable session weather wise.  Light duties, BBB, rehab Farris-White, Melky, Salem and Spargo, all with private trainers. They are all playing soccer, huge amount of noise. 36-40 (difficult to get a count) in the main squad, biggest I've seen it in ages. Choco is barking out the orders. Goody has intense body language as he observes. Bowey in a lime green cap (no contact), and in the sim

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    ICEBREAKER by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons have broken the ice for season 2024 with a pulsating come-from-behind victory over Port Melbourne in which it took the lead for the first time at the halfway mark of the final quarter. The game played in mild Autumn conditions in neutral territory at Kinetic Park, Frankston, never reached great heights in standard but it proved gripping in character at the end at the Casey Demons overcame the Borough to win by 15 points after trailing badly early in the second half.  P

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    MAULED by Whispering Jack

    The writing was on the wall from the very first bounce of the football. The big men went up, Max Gawn more often than not, decisively won the ruck hit out and invariably a Brisbane Lions onballer either won the battle on the ground or halved the contest and they went at it repeatedly until they finally won out. Melbourne managed the first goal from Alex Neal-Bullen but after that the visitors shut out every area of Demon presence around the ground except in the ruck duels. It was a mauling.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 4

    PREGAME: Rd 07 vs Richmond

    The Demons have a bye next week and have a 13 day break before they return to the MCG on ANZAC Eve to take on the Tigers. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 184

    PODCAST: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 15th April @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons loss at the MCG against the Lions in the Round 05. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIV

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 52

    VOTES: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

    Last week Christian Petracca retook the outright lead in the Demonland Player of the Year Award from Max Gawn, Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jack Viney. Your votes for the loss against the Lions. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 44

    POSTGAME: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

    The Demons 4 game winning streak has come to an end after a disappointing loss against the Brisbane Lions at the MCG going down by 22 points. 

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 505

    GAMEDAY: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

    It's Game Day & Demons have a great opportunity to win their fifth game on the trot and go into the bye with 5 wins and one loss when they take on the Brisbane Lions at the MCG on the Thursday night big stage.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 833

    TRAINING: Wednesday 10th April 2024

    Demonland Trackwatchers Kev Martin and Demon Dynasty were once again on hand at this morning's Captain's Run at Gosch's Paddock to bring you their observations from training. KEV MARTIN'S CAPTAIN'S RUN OBSERVATIONS No-one in rehab this morning, a Captain's run, 26 players. Laurie, Tomlinson, Tholstrup, Chandler, Woey, and Kossie are out there. Rehabbers are out now. Marty, McAdam, Melky, Bowey, Sestan. As a guess for in and outs, I would say, out Laurie, Tomlinson, and W

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

  • Podcast 

  • Podcast 

  • Podcast Stream 


    Open Stream in
    New Window
        TuneIn    Opens in New Tab
  • Support Demonland  



  • 2021 Premiership  

  • Social Media 

  • Non MFC Games  

    NON-MFC: Round 06

    Discussion of all the other games that don't involve the Demons in Round 06 ... READ MORE

    Demonland | Round 06

  • Training  

    Friday, 19th April 2024

    Veteran Demonland Trackwatcher Kev Martin headed down to Gosch's Paddock today to bring you his observations from training ... READ MORE

    Demonland | April 19

  • Latest Podcast      

    PODCAST: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

    The boys dissected the disappointing loss to Brisbane rueing our poor work at the stoppages, debated the role that fatigue played and lamenting the loss of Christian Salem ... LISTEN

    Demonland | April 16

  • PreGame      

    PREGAME: Rd 06 vs Richmond

    The Demons have a bye next week and have a 13 day break before they return to the MCG on ANZAC Eve to take on the Tigers. Who comes in and who goes out? ...READ MORE

    Demonland | April 16

  • Casey Report      

    ICE BREAKER by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons have broken the ice for season 2024 with a pulsating come-from-behind victory over Port Melbourne in which it took the lead for the first time at the halfway mark of the final quarter ... READ MORE

    Demonland | April 14

  • Match Report      

    MAULED by Whispering Jack

    The writing was on the wall from the very first bounce of the football. The big men went up, Max Gawn more often than not, decisively won the ruck hit out and invariably a Brisbane Lions onballer either won the battle on the ground or halved the contest and they went at it repeatedly until they finally won out ... READ MORE

    Demonland | April 12

  • Post Game      

    POSTGAME: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

    The Demons 4 game winning streak has come to an end after a disappointing loss against the Brisbane Lions at the MCG going down by 22 points ...READ MORE

    Demonland | April 11

  • Votes      

    VOTES: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

    Last week Christian Petracca retook the outright lead in the Demonland Player of the Year Award from Max Gawn, Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jack Viney. Your votes for the loss against the Lions. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 ...READ MORE

    Demonland | April 11

  • Game Day      

    GAMEDAY: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

    It's Game Day & the Demons have a great opportunity to win their fifth game on the trot and go into the bye with 5 wins and one loss when they take on the Brisbane Lions at the MCG on the Thursday night big stage ... READ MORE

    Demonland | April 11

  • Training  

    Wednesday, 10th April 2024

    Demonland Trackwatchers Kev Martin and Demon Dynasty were once again on hand at this morning's Captain's Run at Gosch's Paddock to bring you their observations from training ... READ MORE

    Demonland | April 10

  • Match Preview      

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Good evening, Demon fans and welcome to the Demonland 2024 Grand Final Podcast … It’s been a beautiful last day of September and how sweet it is to bring you our coverage of all things that matter about the great Demon resurgence which we’ve seen over the past six or seven months ... READ MORE

    Demonland | April 09

  • Training  

    Sunday, 7th April 2024

    Demonland Trackwatcher Kev Martin ventured down in the rain to Gosch's Paddock for the Demon Family Series April School Holiday Open Training session ... READ MORE

    Demonland | April 07

  • Training  

    Monday, 1st April 2024

    Our man on the spot Bendigo Demon traveled to Adelaide for our back to back games in the City of Churches and brings you his observations from the Demon's training session at Hisense Stadium ... READ MORE

    Demonland | April 01

  • Latest Podcast  

    PODCAST: Koltyn Tholstrup Interview

    I interview the Melbourne Football Club’s newest recruit Koltyn Tholstrup to have a chat about his journey from the farm to the Demons, his first few weeks of preseason training, which Dees have impressed him on the track and his aspirations of playing Round 1 ... LISTEN

    Demonland | December 14

  • Latest Podcast  

    PODCAST: Jason Taylor Interview

    I interview the Melbourne Football Club's National Recruitment Manager Jason Taylor to have a chat about our Trade and Draft period, our newest recruits, our recent recruits who have yet to debut as well as those father son prospects on the horizon ... LISTEN

    Demonland | November 27

  • Next Match 

    .

    Round 07

       vs   

    Wednesday 24th April 2024
    @ 07:25pm (MCG)

  • MFC Forum  

  • Match Previews & Reports  

  • Training Forum  

  • AFLW Forum  

  • 2024 Player Sponsorship

  • Topics

  • Injury List  


      PLAYER INJURY LENGTH
    Shane McAdam Hamstring 1-2 Weeks
    Marty Hore Thumb 1-2 Weeks
    Charlie Spargo Achilles 3 Weeks
    Christian Salem Hamstring 3-4 Weeks
    Jake Bowey Shoulder 4-5 Weeks
    Jake Melksham ACL 9-11 Weeks
    Joel Smith Suspension TBA

  • Player of the Year  


        PLAYER VOTES
    1 Max Gawn 67
    2 Christian Petracca 55
    3 Steven May 35
    4 Jack Viney 28
    5 Alex Neal-Bullen 27
    6 Clayton Oliver 22
    7 Bayley Fritsch 19
    8 Trent Rivers 16
    9 Judd McVee 15
    10 Kade Chandler 14

        FULL TABLE
  • Demonland Interviews 



  • Upcoming Events 

×
×
  • Create New...