Welcome to Demonland: Pick 11

dazzledavey36

It makes sense with our list spots though.  We have five spots current created by Jordon, Grundy, Harmes, Hibberd and Dunstan.  If we bring in McAdam and Fullarton, that only leaves us with three spots.  

I assume we will probably use a late pick on F/S Kynan Brown, so that reduces down to only two live spots. 

Might as well maximise them.

I can see us trying to trade up again into Geelong's pick.  We might as well try a play for pick 1, but I don't think we can realistically get it.  North has too much draft capital for us to compete. 

It seems this year that all clubs are really keen to move up - the top end of the pool must be regarded pretty highly. 

• Like 3

Wonder if any of the second rounders hinged on there being a known range of the brown bid. no point having 35 if a bid is likely to come at 30. No point keeping 27 either if we are committed to him either. 
mcadam, fullarton trades, pick 6, 11 and brown. 5 out, 5 in.

don’t see a need in keeping currency for either of the remaining trades. The clubs don’t value the players enough to squabble hard for them. 

Geez you've got to concentrate to keep up with the thread explosion!

Don't know where this was when I posted on the Trade thread, but I don't feel so lonely now in asking how a five-for-one pick swap (eventually) works.

🤯 

31 minutes ago, poita said:

How incredibly dumb. The obsession this club has with stupid pick swaps is infuriating. Let's not forget that Bailey Laurie and Sam Weideman were both taken with pick swaps, so it's not even as though we get decent players from them.

We got one of our best ever players with a pick swap. Dude come on, at least the other perennially negative nellies on here put some effort in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think what has been overlooked is where these picks will end up. There's only one definite Northern Academy player that will go to Gold Coast before 11 and that's Jed Walters. It's quite possible that Ethan Read & Jake Rogers go after 11 but before 14. And Jordan Croft has now nominated as a Bulldogs Father/Son. So, 11 could end up as high as 12, 14 could end up as low as 18 (or even 19 if Hawthorn take Father/Son Will McCabe around about that point).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

On the face of it, 14, 27 and 35 for 11 looks just plain silly.

Trying to rationalise it, some possibilities;

- We've got no real interest in the available draftees from the second round and we're happy to catch sliders with our selections from 40 on.

- We have a very specific interest in one or more players who will be available at 11 but not 14.

- We have a very, very specific interest in something that can get done that needed 11, with a club that had no interest in second round picks.

What if we added GWS's Pick 7 to that?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Willy's Warriors said:

It makes sense with our list spots though.  We have five spots current created by Jordon, Grundy, Harmes, Hibberd and Dunstan.  If we bring in McAdam and Fullarton, that only leaves us with three spots.  

I assume we will probably use a late pick on F/S Kynan Brown, so that reduces down to only two live spots. 

I can see us trying to trade up again into Geelong's pick.  We might as well try a play for pick 1, but I don't think we can realistically get it.  North has too much draft capital for us to compete. 

It seems this year that all clubs are really keen to move up - the top end of the pool must be regarded pretty highly. 

(...and/or below it rated pretty poorly.)

I hope that's 'fact' and not a 'group think'.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, poita said:

How incredibly dumb. The obsession this club has with stupid pick swaps is infuriating. Let's not forget that Bailey Laurie and Sam Weideman were both taken with pick swaps, so it's not even as though we get decent players from them.

You're right @poita, the obsession only delivered a premiership.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

people still doubt MFC after using pick swaps the best of any team in the league. 

what if the talent drops off dramatically after 12? what is we want player x and y and they rated out of sync with the general concensus?

if we land 2 more gun kids this year and next we are a huge chance at a flag or two in the next 4 years

Edited by DubDee
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Assuming North wouldn’t put pick 2 and 3 or their own future first on the table.

Should we do it, not sure. But it’s probably on the table. 

Have North absolutely ruled that out?

59 minutes ago, Willy's Warriors said:

good points. what what mcVee coming off rookie list. that this year?

• Like 1