• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Harrison Petty

Demonland

54 minutes ago, Macca said:

Yeah I know that story but I don't particularly believe it.  There's a lot of spin in footy and money talks

You're right, there is a lot of spin. I don't believe the money talk stuff in this particular case.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Hi Tim Lamb, it’s actually 6 hours and 7 minutes, not 6 hours and 5 minutes. What else have you got wrong? 
spacer.png

You've clearly gone the long way.

Screenshot_20240113_110442_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f44ca5326e8b88ac1c7cd94d314d478c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

49 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

If Petty was playing for the Crows how many games would his parents / family travel to Adelaide for to watch him play. Considering 6 hours each way plus breaks essentially makes it a days travel each way. Would they make the trip for every home game plus finals or just the big games plus finals. All speculative I know.

Surely the club can be proactive in communicating with his family and arrange for them to make the trip for Gather Rd as well as blockbuster matches such as Anzac Eve, Kings Birthday and when we play the Lions. I’m not sure how much the club can do in terms of flights / motels for family’s before it’s looked at by the AFL.

Family may be put fwd as motivation, but it’s also a great leverage tool. Money talks, hopefully he stays.

Either way the trek from Wudinna to Adelaide is a challenge in itself. 

But I would have thought that's still a lot easier then having to jump on a plane again just to watch a home game.

To be honest I have no idea how the club will map all this out for Petty in his family. Seems a challenge regardless what they do.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

You're right, there is a lot of spin. I don't believe the money talk stuff in this particular case.

You can believe what you like

The same stuff was peddled about Jackson whilst people conveniently put aside the $8Million contract that was on the table

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

1 minute ago, Macca said:

You can believe what you like

The same stuff was peddled about Jackson whilst people conveniently put aside the $8Million contract that was on the table

Same to you.

Just feel imo that he'll be fairly compensated regardless where he plays.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Perry’s been on the list for 5 years already? So is this family thing just new because of the Crows and an upcoming contract or was it raised from he was first drafted and the clubs done nothing?

Here's 2 examples of how an offer could have been put forward

Hi Harrison, how would you like to come home to SA to play your footy?  We'll see if we can put together $450k per year for you as well.  Have a nice day

Or ...

Hi Harrison

We've got a nice juicy contract for you to sign anytime you like.  The contract amounts to $8Million dollars over 7 years and we'll pay you $1.5Million dollars in your first year

And guess what?  You get to come home to SA as well

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Same to you.

Just feel imo that he'll be fairly compensated regardless where he plays.

He'll get a lot more money at Adelaide

To entice a player whilst that player has 2 years left on a contract, you have to offer bigger $$$'s.  The go-home factor is a ruse (or an add-on)

But we of course can match it but in the case of Jackson, we weren't going to match it as the amount was too high ($8Million plus)

Again, the first we heard about about Jackson "wanting to go home" was after the offer from Freo was declared

Edited by Macca
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

It’s an extra minute to the airport. 

It's funny how we never heard of Petty wanting to go home in all the time he's been with us.  Crickets

Until ... an offer comes from Adelaide (a very large offer from all reports)

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Macca said:

Here's 2 examples of how an offer could have been put forward

Hi Harrison, how would you like to come home to SA to play your footy?  We'll see if we can put together $450k per year for you as well.  Have a nice day

Or ...

Hi Harrison

We've got a nice juicy contract for you to sign anytime you like.  The contract amounts to $8Million dollars over 7 years and we'll pay you $1.5Million dollars in your first year

And guess what?  You get to come home to SA as well

He’s a gun defender and I think it was you (apologies if not) that said he’s a ready made replacement for May (and I agree) and if he has an extended run up fwd and continues his form from late last season we as a club would be with in our rights to offer him around the 7-8 hundred thousand mark. Not sure he’s at the million per season mark yet, he’d have to kick 60 this upcoming season for mine.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Macca said:

He'll get a lot more money at Adelaide

To entice a player whilst that player has 2 years left on a contract, you have to offer bigger $$$'s.  The go-home factor is a ruse (or an add-on)

But we of course can match it but in the case of Jackson, we weren't going to match it as the amount was too high ($8Million plus)

Again, the first we heard about about Jackson "wanting to go home" was after the offer from Freo was declared

What's stopping us from offering more money?

CBA is about to go up, Brown, McDonald, Melksham, Tonlinson will all either be retired or delisted which will free up some huge salary cap belief.

Think you're underestimating our ability to manoeuvre around our cap space which we've shown to do extremely well over thr past few years.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

He’s a gun defender and I think it was you (apologies if not) that said he’s a ready made replacement for May (and I agree) and if he has an extended run up fwd and continues his form from late last season we as a club would be with in our rights to offer him around the 7-8 hundred thousand mark. Not sure he’s at the million per season mark yet, he’d have to kick 60 this upcoming season for mine.

To me it's often about the money when a player wants to go.  Not always but when we hear about the size of a contract on offer, you can't help but think it is about the money

And it's not just about the overall contract, the big enticer is the first year amount on those sorts of deals.  A signing on bonus per se

Life changing amounts of money and we shouldn't be thinking that Adelaide haven't offered Harrison a big amount in his first year.  Let's face it, if you want to secure a player that you believe is a game-changing player, it's what you would do (big, upfront $$$'s)

So there are a stack of players who we know left for the big bucks (Judd, Buddy, Ablett, Scully the list goes on)

With standout players, the go-home factor is used as bait but it's not the big bait.  The money is

Edited by Macca
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

We would probably match a certain amount but we'd have limits

And Adelaide's limit might be a great deal higher

Besides which, I'm not convinced that Petty is going anywhere anyway.  A lot has to happen (or not happen) for him to go

The Crows could go cold on the idea, there's injuries to factor in and Petty might re-sign and/or extend soon enough anyway

My argument centres on the 'go home factor' and how it's overrated and overplayed

So if Harrison strikes his best form I'd pay him the big bucks but not an exorbitant amount

An example of that is Scully.  We were never going to give him $6Million over 6 years and we certainly weren't going to give him $2Million in his first year of a new contract

Ironically, we turned Scully into Hogan and later on we turned Hogan into May & Sparrow (and both those 2 helped us win a flag) 

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

Port Augusta To Melb Direct Flights.

Doesn't that mean he and his family would be in Melb well before The road trip to Adelaide?

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

CBA is about to go up, Brown, McDonald, Melksham, Tonlinson will all either be retired or delisted which will free up some huge salary cap belief.

Think you're underestimating our ability to manoeuvre around our cap space which we've shown to do extremely well over thr past few years.

Agree and in 2 years when his contract is up, you could probably also add Max, Smith, Viney, Schache and some others who may be moving on.

It won’t be our salary cap that is the reason he leaves, if he does.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Considering this is a direct quote from Tim Lamb then there is no doubt there there is a huge go home factor first and foremost before money. 

"We had conversations with Harrison where he spoke about the lure of home and some of the issues around that, with his family and their ability to get over here and watch him play and be involved a bit more.

"We'll work with him to make sure that there is a better situation for him.

The biggest challenge for the Petty family is that from Wudinna alone it's a 6 hour and 5 minute drive. That's just to get to the airport to then jump on a plane and having to do more travel just to watch their son play on a Saturday or Sunday. Probably even harder when we've played a lot of Thursday night or Friday games because it not as simple as jumping into a car after work and drive down the Hume Highway like the Spargo's or Oliver's can.

Money isn't the issue for Petty at all because he knows regardless he'll get paid well enough. He's barely had family being able to come down and watch him live purely from a logistical challenge.

Whatever Tim Lamb has in mind in being able to "better manage" this situation, I hope it works out well for Harrison because he's vital to us. The go home factor is absolutely real with this one.

Give him an increase and use some to rent a house for his family for the season. Jobs for all can be found if necessary, with the clubs contacts.

If that is the real reason there are always solutions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Harry P as a 60/80 plus goal kicker ( for the next 5/7 years) is a far more important player at MFC than Harry the Stevie May replacement. 

Without underestimating his ability goals are harder to score than save. If ever a Club needed reminding about this fact look at our record ( no matter what injuries continued surgery complications or underdone comebacks) it is undisputable.

We also forget that both JVR and Jed Adams have both at reasonably high WA junior and possibly National level shown a skill to play down back and indeed Full Back as well as forward. 

So our Stevie replacement is possibly right under our own nose. Let’s hope we are quick enough to recognise this ( we may have already as per Curtain non preference for 2 mid/ forward / goal licking types in the Kolt and Duke). 

Harry will succeed IMO so how high can we go $$ wise and how long his contract be reasonably timed when we frame our next proposal for him to stay. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 58er said:

Harry P as a 60/80 plus goal kicker ( for the next 5/7 years) is a far more important player at MFC than Harry the Stevie May replacement. 

Without underestimating his ability goals are harder to score than save. If ever a Club needed reminding about this fact look at our record ( no matter what injuries continued surgery complications or underdone comebacks) it is undisputable.

We also forget that both JVR and Jed Adams have both at reasonably high WA junior and possibly National level shown a skill to play down back and indeed Full Back as well as forward. 

So our Stevie replacement is possibly right under our own nose. Let’s hope we are quick enough to recognise this ( we may have already as per Curtain non preference for 2 mid/ forward / goal licking types in the Kolt and Duke). 

Harry will succeed IMO so how high can we go $$ wise and how long his contract be reasonably timed when we frame our next proposal for him to stay. 

It also depends on what we can extract in return. I’m a Petty fan and think he could become a serviceable forward but the Crows are going to have to cough up talent and/or draft picks to get him before the end of 2025

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Redleg said:

Agree and in 2 years when his contract is up, you could probably also add Max, Smith, Viney, Schache and some others who may be moving on.

It won’t be our salary cap that is the reason he leaves, if he does.

I don’t think we have the luxury of waiting until his contract is up. I believe we need to be proactive this year and scrap his current contract and give him a new one. Some may argue he needs to show more as a fwd, but just on his ability alone as a key defender he can command 7-800K in the open market (look at Ben McKay). If he can dominate as a key fwd then we’re at his mercy.

• Like 3