PREGAME: SF vs Carlton

Demonland

12 minutes ago, Sydee said:

Mentally is Grundy still a Demon or has he already checked out of the building?

I suspect he has at least one foot out the door as he is meeting other clubs while we ae still playing finals.

I don't like speculating on this sort of thing because it is so subjective, but to me his demeanor at the opening training didn't look like someone who was happy to be there. Just seemed to just be going through the motions. 

Cant blame him to be honest.

• Like 2

So any preference on who we want to play next week? Sydney have carved us up on the G in recent times and Carlton beat us last time albeit contentiously. 

I'd prefer Carlton TBH . One thing we cant do is start like we did last time against the baggers or last night. Our starts are costing us big time 

• Like 1

Hibberd was decent, gotta bring Tomo in though.  I thought Smith was good up forward, the whole forward line was pretty rubbish though and just bombing it in was [censored] and predictable.  

Grundy in for JVR, then if Tmac out bring in Schache, he's a good kick and can't hurt, at least Tmac did something but just looked too slow (the whole team looked a bit slow to be honest).  JVR needs to grow up.

Spargo or JJ for Brayshaw, the other one a sub instead of Laurie, maybe Taj too he was pretty good when he played.  

I hope they practice their kicking again before next match, that was hard to watch.

• Like 1

Don't like to be too negative about MFC players, but Laurie seemingly overwhelmed and didn't really impact the game. Nor did his inclusion allow us to rotate Petracca forward more often. I think this is vital given our forward issues, so assuming JJ comes in for Gus, then Harmes should be the sub over the likes of Spargo. If the forward line was fit and firing i'd have different views on the matter. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sydee said:

Mentally is Grundy still a Demon or has he already checked out of the building?

Well he's going to have to check himself back in.

He can still win a flag, and he's getting a hell of a lot of money to perform. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bates Mate said:

So any preference on who we want to play next week? Sydney have carved us up on the G in recent times and Carlton beat us last time albeit contentiously. 

I'd prefer Carlton TBH . One thing we cant do is start like we did last time against the baggers or last night. Our starts are costing us big time 

Sydney for sure.  We would start favourites v Sydney and probably outsiders v Carlton. 

Carlton have the midfield and forward cattle to match us and beat us, Sydney don't.  They snuck into finals and it would be a godsend if they pinched it tonight .  We smashed them at the g earlier this year. 

• Like 1

Let's at least beat Carlton and bow out honourably in an interstate  final.

Losing four finals in a row would be made twice as bad by losing to Carlton.

Out. Poor selection.

Hey Goody let's pick a young sub who has played 3 or 5 average games and then has to play a whole final. Yep subs aren't just fresh legs in the last for what it's worth.

Someone for Jvr who will be suspended. 

Second brain freeze. Needs to work on this.

Someone fir Tmac who needs to be delisted.

Maybe Tommo. Maybe even Schache but the cupboard is bare. Possibly Grundy if we can pry him away from rival club meetings.

Maybe he plays well just to spite us.

As such Tmac will stay but it goes against the grain.

Turner for Salo. 

Spargo for Chandler.

I wish we had more depth so we could drop another four.

In...a kick in the pants to the whole midfield group so they play a complete game for once.

Oh yea some goal kicking practice. 

And a lot of luck.

Sorry for the bitterness but that loss really hurt .

Except for May and Max we had no real senior leaders.

Lever tried to rev them up but let us down by his own average game.

Ironically young Bowey showed players much more experienced how to play a full game of footy.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

Why are people calling for Hibbo out? Kept Elliott quiet

It's JJ or Harmes for Brayshaw, think Laurie is a potential out also

Grundy In, Smith to Sub

Would like to see Tommo play, jist makes May/Lever combo function better

What's the bet Goodwin will play Harmes and that's a mistake, so Goodwin will go with plan A or plan A.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Glorious Day said:

Of course he hasn’t but two of them will be forced.

Salem hasn’t done anything useful for months.

McDonald was nowhere near the level required. Same for Laurie.

Langdon doesn't have the physicality required in finals. Should we consider giving the opportunity to someone else?

43 minutes ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

Question, (probably already answered here sorry) - but if Sydney win, is this game at MCG or SCG?

I'm thinking Melbourne home game...

Mcg.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Stiff Arm said:

Am I right in thinking if we were to win on Fri night we play Bris in Qld or PA in Adelaide the following week?

Yes which makes last night so devastating. 

I don't really think it matters though because with our fwd line and Jvr and Gus out I'm not sure we can beat Carlton.

I so hope we do. Four finals losses is heart breaking.

And for the same reason as last year.

Our fwd line.

Theres dumb luck involved with injuries which has been the case but also some poor planning via recruitment. 

Can the Einstein who thought Grundy was a fwd show themselves out. Did they know he can't mark?

• Thanks 1

We won't have Braysure and Roo must be in doubt at the moment. Can't play Mac and BBB together so it has to be Grundy. Maybe Jordan comes in. We don't seem to have a lot we can pick from at the moment. If Grundy and Jordan play that two guys we all believe are gone at seasons end. Thats just the two we have to make " most likely have to make". Maybe Tomlinson but I cannot think of anyone from left field I want to see in the team. 

• Like 1

It's thinking outside the box time for the coaching and match committee.....we know there are likely to be two forced changes in Gus n Roo. We know the blitzkrieg carpet bombing into the fwd 50 was an epic fail and would be ludicrous to play on repeat...we know Tmac really struggled to be on task with the pace of AFL finals but will likely go again due to Roos likely absence and BBB, Petty and Melko's unavailability. In the wings wait Grundy, Shack and Tommo. On form Tommo is a shoe in - either as the third defensive wheel or a out of left field CHF - we can't call him on pace deficit and play others with a similar profile but way less form in other aspects of the game.

Out - Gus, Roo (fingers and  toes crossed not)

In - Tommo, Grundy

Sub - JJ for Laurie

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Diamond Tim said:

It's thinking outside the box time for the coaching and match committee.....we know there are likely to be two forced changes in Gus n Roo. We know the blitzkrieg carpet bombing into the fwd 50 was an epic fail and would be ludicrous to play on repeat...we know Tmac really struggled to be on task with the pace of AFL finals but will likely go again due to Roos likely absence and BBB, Petty and Melko's unavailability. In the wings wait Grundy, Shack and Tommo. On form Tommo is a shoe in - either as the third defensive wheel or a out of left field CHF - we can't call him on pace deficit and play others with a similar profile but way less form in other aspects of the game.

Out - Gus, Roo (fingers and  toes crossed not)

In - Tommo, Grundy

Sub - JJ for Laurie

I'd be fine with JJ in the 22 just to free up Trac to go forward more 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, brendan said:

Apparently there is a vfl practice match today between Casey and Carlton plenty of spots up for grabs 

Cool, I look forward to seeing how the 7 untried players we fed to the wolves against Footscray last week play this time. Any chance we might see some experienced players as well?

The thing we do have going for us is our match fitness (bar injuries, obviously). We are the fittest team still in it, so if we get throught the SF and PF, I wouldn't be concerned coming up against a Collibgwood who's had an extra week's break

• Like 1