• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Phantom Drafts 2023

Whispering_Jack

We’re into September and with the coming of Spring, the first of the Phantom Drafts begin to rise up. ESPN has a new reporter doing its draft work and here’s his effort with less than three months to go before the real thing-

AFL Phantom Draft: How will the first round of the 2023 draft play out?

Spoiler alert: Harley Reid is #1. 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Chelly said:

Trouble with Phantom Drafts at this time of year is that things change over the finals and then again when trading starts. 

Exactly.

I love Phantom Drafts. 🥰

But it's even a bit too early for me until about October.

No harm in speculation though.

The most pleasing thing is that the Melbourne Demons are now a "destination club". About 10 years ago I don't think many young draftees would say they were looking forward to being picked in the draft by us. How time (and success) changes things!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

We’re into September and with the coming of Spring, the first of the Phantom Drafts begin to rise up. ESPN has a new reporter doing its draft work and here’s his effort with less than three months to go before the real thing-

Well we know picks 1 and 3 won't happen that way, if the current owners retain them.

It is more of a rating.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Hard to do a phantom with academy selections. GCs pick 4 will change hands but for the purpose of this exercise seems to have been omitted from this phantom draft altogether.

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 1

It really is a sign of how much of a mess West Coast is that they aren't doing cartwheels at the idea of bringing in a talent like Harley Reid. 

For the record i think they'll end up with Curtin one way or another.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Redleg said:

So you think WC will take Reid and Roos will take Curtin.

I can't see that happening.

Whatever happened to “best available”? 

Being Victorian didn’t stop them from selecting Chesser.

Edited by Mach5
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

Whatever happened to “best available”? 

Being Victorian didn’t stop them from selecting Chesser.

From what we know WC want Curtin and Roos would take Reid over Curtin and that would remove go home factor as well.

Of course clubs take interstate players, but from all known info at this stage,  these clubs want the home player.

We will see what happens. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

7 minutes ago, Redleg said:

From what we know WC want Curtin and Roos would take Reid over Curtin and that would remove go home factor as well.

Of course clubs take interstate players, but from all known info at this stage,  these clubs want the home player.

We will see what happens. 

These aren’t knowns. It’s speculation.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

• 1 month later...

2023 AFL Mock Draft: Picks 1-27 (first edition)

How does this one sound to you?

@Whispering_Jack I have done a starter phantom draft under topic “2023 AFL National Draft prospects: The next batch”. Happy to bring it across to this for easier discussion.  

Edited by spirit of norm smith
B
  • Thanks 1

2023 AFL Mock Draft: Picks 1-27 (first edition)

How does this one sound to you?

I'd be disappointed that we couldn't grab either of O'Sullivan or Murphy with '11', nor Curtin at '6', but going through that list you can see why the push from 14 to 11 was considered important. After Windsor or Tholstrup there's a bit of a gap for what we want in both hype and type.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

Windsor moves well. Paul Wheatley vibes.

If provided the opportunity I think we’d opt for Leake first, but he’s more likely to be gone by then IMO.

Caleb Windsor reminds me more of a Max Holmes type. Quick. Loves to run.  Good tackler.   Likes to get inside 50 and snag a goal. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Caleb Windsor reminds me more of a Max Holmes type. Quick. Loves to run.  Good tackler.   Likes to get inside 50 and snag a goal. 

Very good comparison. His leg speed, two way running and attacking flair are a key reason why he's shooting up draft boards and we're reportedly interested.

• Like 2

Rough early walk through in 1st round (have no inside intel like Cal or Riley);  just where likely types are best available. 

1- WCE. Harley Reid 

2-*GCS Jed Walter gcs academy gift 

3- NM Coby Mckercher 

4- NM Zane Duursma afl gift 

5- HAW Dan Curtin

6- WB Nick Watson 

7- MELB Ryley Sanders 

8- *GCS Ethan Read gcs academy gift 

9- GWS Nate Caddy

10- GEE Connor O’Sullivan

11- *GCS Jake Rogers gcs academy gift 

12- ESS Darcy Wilson

13- ADEL James Leake 

14- MELB Caleb Windsor 

15- Syd. Koltyn Tholstrup. 

16- Stk Ollie Murphy

17- ADEL Riley Hardeman 

18- NM Arie Schoenmaker 

19- *WB Jordan Croft father son 

20- GWS Clay Hall

21- NM Will Green 

22- NM Archer Reid 

23- *Haw Will McCabe 

24- Coll. Harry DeMattia

25- ADEL Mitchell Edwards

26- STK. Archie Roberts 

27- *GCS Will Graham gcs academy gift

28- Carl. Charlie Edwards 

2nd round  With assumption that GCS picks now all gone. Slight update with WCE likely grabbing Zane Zakostelsky. 

29- WCE Lance Collard

30- GEE George Stevens 

31- Carl Logan Morris 

32- Rich. Luamon Luai

33- BRIS Joel Freijah

34- Ess. Tew Jiath

35- Coll. Angus Hastie

36- Freo. Koen Sanchez

37- ESS. Billy Wilson

38- WCE Zane Zakostelsky 

39- Bris. Will Dawson 

40- Stk. Cooper Simpson

41- Rich.  Nathan Philactides

42- MELB. Taylor Goad

43- GWS. Harvey Johnston

3rd round as clubs may start to “Pass” in picks ti save for rookie or preseason additions, or pickup some smokies or add in mature bodied state league players. Some roughies from here that could be drafted, rookied or miss out. Assumed Hawks and Bulldogs picks lost or pushed back due to added father son picks. I think Kynan Brown gets through and Dees can immediately add him as a rookie. 

44- Syd. Ashton Moir

45- NM Shaun Mannagh

46- Freo  Aiden O’Driscoll

47- BRIS. Jack Delean

48- BRIS  Will Brown

49- Haw. Tarkyn O’Leary 

50- *GWS Harvey Thomas. academy 

51-*Syd . Caiden Cleary. academy 

52-  WB Kane McAuliffe

53- NM Sam Clohesy

54- WCE. Luke Lloyd 

55-Haw. Ry Cantwell

56- *BRIS. Patrick Snell. academy 

57- GWS Phoenix Gothard

58- Freo  Kade De La Rue

59- ESS  Tyson Sruk

60- Haw  Lachie Hosie

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great work @spirit of norm smith

If I could add some names to the mix for potential 2nd round-rookie prospects.

- Lachie Charleson

- Kobe Shipp

- Matt Carroll

- Bodie Ryan

- Will Lorenz

- Will Patton

- Vigo Visentini

- Joe Fonti

- Jack Callinan

- Cam Nyko

- Ben Hopkins

- Mahmoud Taha

And of course Kynan Brown.

Edited by Nascent
  • Thanks 1

Will Lorenz will be interesting player through the draft and rookie selections.  Was at the National draft combine so obviously is on the list of a few recruiters. I think he will probably get picked but probably might be the late 3rd round or rookie. Was looking for him to do more in the national championships. Good skills. 

• Thanks 1