Jake Melksham Injury

Mach5

8 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

I'm no expert but didn't give the impression of an ACL.

More like an awkward inward hyper extension with some significant bruising.

Fingers crossed

Please me right DD. If you are then I'll send a crate of beer to your house. 

• Like 1

Devastated for him. He’s been great tail end of the season and was looking like he might get the fairytale finish to his career. Instead it’s looking like nightmare finish. 
Seems wrong to just let him leave the club with his knee rooted. Could we delist him and then pick him up as a rookie? Or have him work with our forwards in some capacity?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Colm said:

Devastated for him. He’s been great tail end of the season and was looking like he might get the fairytale finish to his career. Instead it’s looking like nightmare finish. 
Seems wrong to just let him leave the club with his knee rooted. Could we delist him and then pick him up as a rookie? Or have him work with our forwards in some capacity?

The club will do everything it can to ensure he leaves with his knee back in shape but it may well be the end. Cruel, mean and nasty.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

I'm no expert but didn't give the impression of an ACL.

More like an awkward inward hyper extension with some significant bruising.

Fingers crossed

Yeah, That is a possibility but I didn't see any hyperextention just the tell tale knee buckle😮‍💨

• Like 1

I am waiting to hear the news.

Fingers crossed Jake Melksham will be ok? 🤞

Sadly, I think an ACL injury would end his career.

I remember when I did my ACL in my right knee playing football. I was jumping up in a marking contest and landed awkwardly and I heard a kind of "popping" noise. That was my ACL tearing apart. 😕

Anyway, I genuinely wish Jake Melksham all the best. He has been an excellent player for us. Especially in the 2nd half of the year when Bayley Fritsch was out injured and we needed someone to step up in our forward line.

• Like 4

I wish him well. I'm strongly of the view that Melksham will move into coaching, eventually with ambition to be a senior coach.

Does anyone know what the rules are for players with injuries like this which come at the end of a contract? Because it's a 12 month injury (usually) do we have a legal obligation to keep him on our list next year? Or, if he's out of contract, do we just not offer him a new one? It's a messy end, either way, unless he was already adamant that he wanted to retire at season's end.

Edited by La Dee-vina Comedia
  • Thinking 1

Without this injury JM would have been offered another year simply because our forward stocks are so low.

Hopefully it's the 12 week type of knee problem rather than the 12 month one.

Does raise the issue of insurance/compensation for players like JM and Dunstan who are both facing a loss of income from final year or country football etc

• Like 1

He was thinking about what he was going to do post football in 2022 and then got a reprieve and thank goodness he did. Jake saved our bacon whilst waiting for Bayley to return.

If the injury isn't the worst imaginable I would say that if he would go again given what he has shown the last couple of weeks. He really loves the Club, players and supporters and is one of the nicest people you could meet. Just watching him in the forward line encouraging and advising the younger players I would love to see him look at coaching but then again he may be ready to move on, spend more time with his young family and start the next chapter of his life.

• Like 2

God I hope it's nothing too serious, he's been a fan favorite of mine for a few years now.  Just such a great positive vibe and attitude towards the game and always looks like he tries more than anyone else out there, never gives up...DON'T GIVE UP MILKSHAKE NEVER GIVE UP NEVER SURRENDERRRRRRRRR

1 hour ago, Demonstone said:

Melky turns 32 tomorrow (!).

If he needs a knee reco and is out for a year, I think it might be curtains* for him at AFL level, sadly.

*  Not saying I wouldn't trade him for Curtin.  :D

Omg it’s his birthday tomorrow. Poor thing what a shocking “present”. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Without this injury JM would have been offered another year simply because our forward stocks are so low.

Hopefully it's the 12 week type of knee problem rather than the 12 month one.

Does raise the issue of insurance/compensation for players like JM and Dunstan who are both facing a loss of income from final year or country football etc

IF he has done an ACL and if that means he will retire, I think our culture will see that he will get another year's pay of some sort and then be delisted, at a time we can replace him, say to upgrade a rookie.

That way he will have one year of income and we will have our list place.

The rest of the list and all the player managers would be watching on and that will enhance our reputation as a club that puts it's players first and continue to drive our culture of "we are all in it together".

• Like 6
  • Clap 2

I posted this in another thread. I think it sits better here. It appears Melksham is done for the rest of the season but was instrumental in getting us to stay in the top 4 and the team now be considered a serious contender.

If (when) we win the big one 23 players will receive a premiership medal, Melks won’t. I reckon the 23 players deserve and should get ‘player’ medals but I feel anyone who was named in the playing 23 throughout the season should also be given a separate ‘premiership team’ medal. (Could be given at the B&F night later on). Rationale being that it is a team game and they contributed throughout the season.

This way people like Melksham would get due recognition for how they contributed throughout the year. (Similar for Jones back in 2022). 
This should be instigated and ‘minted’ by the AFL.  Lastly, if this already occurs…. sorry. 

• Like 3

Melksy, confirmed ACL. 😢

Absolutely heartbreaking 💔 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 2
  • Sad 18

3 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Melksy, confirmed ACL. 😢

Absolutely heartbreaking 💔 

Dunstan confirmed as well

Edited by Wilson7
  • Like 1
  • Sad 8

Terrible blow for Melk & Luke.

Melk really was making a difference up forward for us with Fritta out.

What a great effort to make it back into the team and hit peak performance when we needed the lift.

He is the ultimate pro and has given us some fabulous memories and contributions.

Please....no more player podcasts before or during finals mods! 🙏🏼

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2