PODCAST: Rd 03 vs Sydney

Demonland

The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday 3rd April @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman and I as we analyse the massive win over the Swans at the MCG.

You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show.

If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human.

Listen & Chat LIVE: https://demonland.com/podcast

Call: 03 9016 3666

Podcast0181.png

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Did you guys like Petty in the forward line?

He's competitive and a good mark, but you can see he lacks forward craft and skills. 

I'd imagine he may return to the back line with Kozzy coming into the list.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were all square in the clearances both in the middle and around the ground. I think they smashed us in the 2nd and 3rd in this area coinciding with them whittling down our lead but we evened things out as we put the pedal down. What did you guys think of the battle between these two exceptional midfields?

• Thanks 1

I thought Brodie Grundy absolutely stood up in his role of lone ruck. Not only did he win the hitouts but he took marks around the ground and was an extra mid at times around the ground racking up 21 disposals. How did you rate Brodie's game?

Edited by Bigfoot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Did you guys like Petty in the forward line?

He's competitive and a good mark, but you can see he lacks forward craft and skills. 

I'd imagine he may return to the back line with Kozzy coming into the list.

Props to Demonland's trackwatcher Kev Martin for providing us with the early mail on Petty in the Forward line.

I thought it was a masterstroke particularly with JVR debuting. It really took some pressure off Rooey because having Petty up forward required a decent defender.

If you would have told me that we would be without TMac and then lose Ben Brown by half time and still kicked over 130 points I would have called you crazy. I don't think we've seen the last of TMac or BBB but I'm not worried about the future of our forward particularly because I see young Matt Jefferson kicked 3 in the twos. All hail Jason Taylor.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kozzy is back next week. Who do we drop from the side? I thought Kade Chandler was superb. Only 9 disposals but 3 very important goals. Likewise Spargo had a low possession game but kicked 2 goals.  I can't see Nibbler being dropped and I thought Jordon with his 21 disposals and a goal was very good too. He'll probably keep Harmes out. Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on changes for the Eagles game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What turned the game guys? In that 3rd quarter it was starting to go the way of many Melb V Syd games. I felt that something needed to change but we really trusted our contested footy then eventually turned the screw. Were there any other key things?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the telly, got a great view of Chandler bouncing pinball-style from Swan to Swan to Swan on the back-line without getting a stat.  Has he in one game gone past Spargo as the hard-running defensive forward?

Similarly we can pass the defender role for a Charlie Cameron-type from Hibberd to McVee.  I didn't watch enough of Casey last year to have an opinion.  Hibberd had a stellar game at Casey last week.  However, I thought that he has dropped off in the firsts and lost his player a bit.

Gee, Tomlinson played well at Casey; just gotta love the big guy.  Has he a role in the firsts?  Melksham played well as sub this week.  But I am still twitchy about losing Gawn and TMac for 193cm Rooooey and a mid-size player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Questions for the podcast.

Should we rest Ben Brown against West Coast if he has a sore back?

Would it be worthwhile giving a debut to another young Melbourne player this week? Blake Howes (more likely) or even Matthew Jefferson perhaps? Especially due to how decimated West Coast is with injuries.

Who do we leave out of the Demons side to allow Kozzie Pickett back in?

Lastly, is Clayton Oliver the early favourite for the 2023 Brownlow Medal?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are coming up against the Eagles this week who are riddled with injuries. Cripps (broken ankle), McGovern (Hamstring), Shuey (Hamstring), Witherden (Concussion), Ryan (Knee) could join Nic Nat (Ankle) & Yeo (Calf) on a star studded injury list. Are any of you worried about us taking this match lightly or is that ghosts of Demons past talking?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

We've got 2 voicemailers lined up for the Podcast. It's not too late to call in with your own question or comment for the show.

Call 03 9016 3666

And don’t worry nobody answers so you don’t have to talk to a human. 

A discussion into James Jordon's excellent game & why he was left out of the side in the first two rounds is needed....21 touches, 8 marks & 1 goal yesterday. Miles ahead in consistency (& output) versus Harmes & Sparrow who he is competing against. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had a couple of defensive errors early on and in particular one where Buddy ended up marking uncontested on his own. I could see May giving one of the guys a bake for this but is this something we just have to tighten up a bit? Understandably there were some changes made to the back 6 this week so maybe a little continuity in selection there is all that we need for it to click again. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, layzie said:

We had a couple of defensive errors early on and in particular one where Buddy ended up marking uncontested on his own. I could see May giving one of the guys a bake for this but is this something we just have to tighten up a bit? Understandably there were some changes made to the back 6 this week so maybe a little continuity in selection there is all that we need for it to click again. 

May and Lever went to town on Gus for that.  It was very heated.  Gus intitially resisted but quickly acknowledged his mistake.  I haven't been able to decide if doing it so publically was a good thing or not.

• Like 1

Just now, Vipercrunch said:

May and Lever went to town on Gus for that.  It was very heated.  Gus intitially resisted but quickly acknowledged his mistake.  I haven't been able to decide if doing it so publically was a good thing or not.

Thanks Viper, I couldn't quite make out who it was they were getting stuck into thanks to that beaming sun into the Warne Stand!

Might have to look at it again, was very unlike us. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, layzie said:

It was Lever that had the biggest go at  Gus pointing his finger in his face.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 2

Hey guys.  Looking forward to a cheerful podcast this week.

I would love some thoughts on the overall pressure of this game, especailly Sydney's pressure.  It felt live that they really bought the heat, but I haven't looked at any of the numbers.

Also, it was very hard picking our best players this game, which is a trend this year.  Who did you guys have as our best and how did that compare to the DL votes, coaches votes (if released) and some of the media votes (if possible)?

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, layzie said:

Thanks Viper, I couldn't quite make out who it was they were getting stuck into thanks to that beaming sun into the Warne Stand!

Might have to look at it again, was very unlike us. 

It's at the 46 min mark of the replay on the AFL website.  Lingy called it a robust discussion lol.  They replay the intial 'chat' between Lever and Gus several times, but May's involvement came later which wasn't shown.

BT at his best, totally ignoring Lingy's observations and droning on about Buddy instead 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Vipercrunch
  • Thanks 1

Does higher scoring have to mean higher scores against. We are currently first for points for but 9th for points against.  Last year we finished 1st for points against and I think second the year before. Is it as simple as deciding to have more players running ahead of the ball which results in more players being behind the ball chasing when the opposition get it back. Or is it something else. 

Do you agree that there seems to be a change in the connection i50 where forwards are leading more into the space in front of goals instead of leading out to the boundaries. I thought Chandler noticeably did this a few times himself and passing into that area. It also seemed there were more instances where players were looking into that space for options rather than having rushed snaps from acute angles. 

• Like 1