PREGAME: Practice Match vs Richmond

Demonland

19 minutes ago, In Harmes Way said:

I’d like to see Judd McVee back up his good game against the Saints

He'll play i reckon. They will want him to build some momentum ahead of a round one selection.

My guess is of the young players, JVR , Chandler, McVee, Bowey and Turner will all play. And maybe Verell (to cover maxy?), Laurie AMW and Woey. 

Hibbo, Jordon and Tomo all to play. Fritsch too if right. 

If i';m close to the mark with those guesses that's say 8-10 players to come in.

They will probably play a mega extended bench (coxz last week was the dress rehearsal) so maybe 6 players who played the first four periods against the saints will have to come out.

My guess on those 6 players are: Lever (injured, so no brainer), Maxy (practicing the break they flagged they want to give him during the season?), May, Tracc, Viney and Brown. With limited minutes for Langdon, Oliver and Kozzie. 

• Like 8

Interesting that in recent years we take the first practice match more seriously than the second one in terms of selection and on field results.

In 2021 we rested half a dozen best 22 players in the second game to the Dogs and last year we didn't bring much intensity and let Carlton waltz all over us in the midfield in that second game of the 2022 pre season.

Can't really argue with this preparation given we've got a combined 19-1 record for the first 10 rounds of 2021 and 2022.

We need to his the ground running into round 1 as we have the Dogs, Brisbane and Sydney to start the season.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

He’s quitting football to become a tattooist. True story. 

Given his accuracy in front of goal an arm tattoo design is likely to end up on your chest.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

Is this game played with proper rules? That is, 4 quarters of normal length plus time on; 4 interchange plus sub with usual rotation limits; limit to 23 players for the whole game; 4 field umpires; etc? 

(If not, what's the point? And if so, what's the point? As you can tell, I don't like pre-season, practice matches.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Is this game played with proper rules? That is, 4 quarters of normal length plus time on; 4 interchange plus sub with usual rotation limits; limit to 23 players for the whole game; 4 field umpires; etc? 

(If not, what's the point? And if so, what's the point? As you can tell, I don't like pre-season, practice matches.)

Yes, the usual will apply LDC:

• Max will be manhandled off the ball three yards away from an umpire - no free kick
  • Clarry will be blocked 20 times - no free kick
  • BBB will be tunneled - no free kick
  • Big Nank will push Grundy in the back half a dozen times - no free kick
  • Cotchin will throw the ball with his back to the umpire - no free kick.
  • Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Haha 9
  • Clap 1

53 minutes ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

• Max will be manhandled off the ball three yards away from an umpire - no free kick

Which is  ironic because when he was North, all an opponent had to do was breath on him and he'd get a free kick.

That was one of the reasons I was excited about when we picked him up. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Which is  ironic because when he was North, all an opponent had to do was breath on him and he'd get a free kick.

That was one of the reasons I was excited about when we picked him up. 

Stats tell the story:

- 183 frees for in 130 games at an average of 1.41 per game for north 

- 25 frees in 32 games at an average of 0.78 per game for us 

He’d have 3 per game if he played for dogs!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

In 2021 v the Dogs we rested Oliver and Salem, Brayshaw was on limited minutes in the VFL match and BBB and Viney were injured.

In 2022 v Carl we rested May and Hibberd, in addition to Petty, Rivers and Salem being out injured.

I think BBB, Gawn, Lever, May, Oliver, Petracca are all good candidates to skip the Tigers game and given we are meaning to be more conservative this year I'd have no issues with all of them missing. But I'd be a little bit surprised if we went with more than that.

Out: BBB, Gawn, Lever, May, Oliver, Petracca
In: JVR, Schache, D. Turner, Hibberd, JJ, Woewodin

FB: McVee Petty Hibberd
HB: Bowey  Turner  Brayshaw
C; Hunter Sparrow Langdon
HF: ANB T Mc Harmes
FF: Chandler  JVR  Spargo
Foll: Grundy Viney  Pickett
Int: JJ Schache Rivers Woey

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, —coach— said:

Stats tell the story:

Very interesting stat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, —coach— said:

Stats tell the story:

Amazing isn't.

He was -5 in free kicks last year compared to 2018 and 2019 where he averaged an amazing +33. He really didn't have a good 2022 for multiple reasons.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Amazing isn't.

He was -5 in free kicks last year compared to 2018 and 2019 where he averaged an amazing +33. He really didn't have a good 2022 for multiple reasons.

While interesting, I can’t help but think it’s all about the delivery to him. At Nth, he was leading into space, arms stretched out with a chop to his arms. At the Dees the ball is on top of his head, easy for Backman to spoil.

I’d like to,see his one on one stats at both clubs 

• Like 6
  • Thinking 2

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

In 2021 v the Dogs we rested Oliver and Salem, Brayshaw was on limited minutes in the VFL match and BBB and Viney were injured.

In 2022 v Carl we rested May and Hibberd, in addition to Petty, Rivers and Salem being out injured.

I think BBB, Gawn, Lever, May, Oliver, Petracca are all good candidates to skip the Tigers game and given we are meaning to be more conservative this year I'd have no issues with all of them missing. But I'd be a little bit surprised if we went with more than that.

Out: BBB, Gawn, Lever, May, Oliver, Petracca
In: JVR, Schache, D. Turner, Hibberd, JJ, Woewodin

FB: McVee Petty Hibberd
HB: Bowey  Turner  Brayshaw
C; Hunter Sparrow Langdon
HF: ANB T Mc Harmes
FF: Chandler  JVR  Spargo
Foll: Grundy Viney  Pickett
Int: JJ Schache Rivers Woey

Agree but would add Howes and K. Turner.     Assuming Fritsch, Melks, Dunstan and J smith are still partly injured.   AFW would be a roughie.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Demonsterative said:

While interesting, I can’t help but think it’s all about the delivery to him. At Nth, he was leading into space, arms stretched out with a chop to his arms. At the Dees the ball is on top of his head, easy for Backman to spoil.

I’d like to,see his one on one stats at both clubs 

You can only lead when you are not being blocked..

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Willmoy1947 said:

You can only lead when you are not being blocked..

Or when delivery into the forward line allows being blocked. Being  blocked requires slow forward entries.

It’s well known in the AFL world our midfield forward entries are poor, we kick/bomb it toyhe a forward pocket too often as defensive forward play and our midfielders are not great disposers of the ball.  The coaching panel said we were too safe going forward last year. 

Brown was a Lone Ranger at the back end of last year playing a role not suited to him. Free kicks were not paid due to playing to his weaknesses, oppositions working how to expose our disposal, game plan and forward line. It was not the umpires lack of  paying feee kicks. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

But we are playing the side with the worst free kick differential in the AFL for the last three years at least.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1