Death Riding Fremantle 2023 - Feathered Cap Edition

adonski

On 4/9/2023 at 12:00 PM, Gorgoroth said:

Look, I’m not saying I’m not enjoying this, cos I am. But I’m not going to get too excited until much later in the year and their current form stands.

Don’t disagree, but I reckon this thread is as much about the journey as the destination.

Enjoy the scenery on the drive!

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Pick 5 is starting to sound just about right. Difficult to expect much better than that because of the four clubs below it -

6E58CA92-790C-4CEB-8ED1-95043D722011.jpeg.6e00807c31430cb281bea383e2cc0537.jpeg

That would be Pick 5  27 18 and 36 or there about  or did we trade our second rounder?

Unlike some other coaches recently who have defended players (Fagan/Daniher, McCrae/De Goey) I've heard little from Longmuir defending Jackson.  Guessing that he thought the impact on the experience/age profile of their list wasn't worth it.  So most likely that Jackson was a 'captain's pick' by Bell. 

Freo has the feel of the Schwartz/Connolly era:  meddling in list management,  retiring Mundy 'early' is like mfc retiring Junior, demoting Fyfe like mfc and Green.

Freo seem to think that much loved players make good football administrators; something many clubs including ours have fallen for. 

They have learnt little from other clubs' mistakes!! 

The more I learn about them the more it looks like they have messed up a golden opportunity to regularly contend at the pointy end.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Unlike some other coaches recently who have defended players (Fagan/Daniher, McCrae/De Goey) I've heard little from Longmuir defending Jackson.  Guessing that he thought the impact on the experience/age profile of their list wasn't worth it.  So most likely that Jackson was a 'captain's pick' by Bell. 

Longmuir said that after round three, that they recruited him for the rest of his career, not his first three games.

I just don’t think he wants to single LJ out and discuss him.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Freo has the feel of the Schwartz/Connolly era:  meddling in list management,  retiring Mundy 'early' is like mfc retiring Junior, demoting Fyfe like mfc and Green.

Freo seem to think that much loved players make good football administrators; something many clubs including ours have fallen for. 

They have learnt little from other clubs' mistakes!! 

The more I learn about them the more it looks like they have messed up a golden opportunity to regularly contend at the pointy end.

It doesn't help when you trade out multiple players who played roles for your club in order to fit in a kid who hasn't proven he's a consistent AFL performer yet on Huge money. this was a huge gamble by Freo and i suspect it's greatly upset parts of the club and really upset the chemistry of the team. 

Not to mention they're completely void of any real offensive power and have totally misread where the game is going 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2023 at 12:00 PM, Gorgoroth said:

Look, I’m not saying I’m not enjoying this, cos I am. But I’m not going to get too excited until much later in the year and their current form stands.

True, but they are fast approaching the (statistical) point at which finals becomes unreachable and when that realisation takes place, then you’ll have instability in the coaching panel and in this case with club admin. This is much closer than people think. If Freo lose the next 3-4 in a row, even the  VIC media will take a hold and then the spiralling begins .

Suns , Dogs (OS), Lions ( GABBA), Hawks (OS), Swans (SCG) next 5. 
1-4 is possible 2-3 is likely. So after 9 rounds Freo likely to be 3-6 and not playing finals as they would still have Cats twice, Sydney, Melbourne, Pies, Brissy to play. 

Edited by Gawndy the Great
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

It doesn't help when you trade out multiple players who played roles for your club in order to fit in a kid who hasn't proven he's a consistent AFL performer yet on Huge money. this was a huge gamble by Freo and i suspect it's greatly upset parts of the club and really upset the chemistry of the team. 

Not to mention they're completely void of any real offensive power and have totally misread where the game is going 

Another interesting thing is his form so far, is about the same as last year for us. Getting a a heap of guaranteed money, can also affect the mindset of a person as well. Maybe the determination and hunger to succeed is affected, who knows. He now has enough money to retire on and properly invested that will  increase. He has a flag. Maybe he has nothing more to prove.

Then his new team mates may not get the income they should get, because he has received a large amount of the cap and they have lost mates who have been moved on to fit LJ in. It can all lead to a total breakdown and we can hope it does.

I note that Brayshaw is also not playing at his best. 

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 5

they have 2 big problems which can't be fixed in the short term.

1. they have no forwards. Jackson is not a forward, Taberner is bereft of confidence. Amiss might be a player with time. Walters nearing the end. How will they kick a score to win matches?

2. a dour defensive game plan. The game has moved on but Freo stuck with a 2021 template. No dash, no run and carry. 

I think they are headed for a 6-win season. If the Suns beat them at the weekend, you can make that a 5-win season (Suns are pathetic themselves so I'm not pinning any hopes on them doing us a favour)

• Like 5

1 minute ago, BDA said:

they have 2 big problems which can't be fixed in the short term.

1. they have no forwards. Jackson is not a forward, Taberner is bereft of confidence. Amiss might be a player with time. Walters nearing the end. How will they kick a score to win matches?

2. a dour defensive game plan. The game has moved on but Freo stuck with a 2021 template. No dash, no run and carry. 

I think they are headed for a 6-win season. If the Suns beat them at the weekend, you can make that a 5-win season (Suns are pathetic themselves so I'm not pinning any hopes on them doing us a favour)

I can't wait for this game with the Suns, neutral ground also takes some excuses away. Who gets it together in this game? The loser will be firmly under the blowtorch. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dwight Schrute said:

As I said, Jackson looks like a 'Captain's Call' by Bell and they are reaping the full impact:  unbalance list, unhappy players, potential sal cap issues etc.

I'm not sure they have misread where the game is at.  Longmuir was on the way to a successful game plan etc.  Last year they worked on 'defence' and often kept teams to around 10 goals:  the same goal our defence used as a criteria.  

They had a good 'contest' aspect to their game plan and he was building the next phase 'atttack/'offence' into this year.  However, he lost is fwd line and it has all gone off the rails for the reasons I have mentioned several times:  lack of on field leaders, decimated list, lack of experienced players, disgruntled players etc

• Like 5

Just now, Lucifers Hero said:

As I said, Jackson looks like a 'Captain's Call' by Bell and they are reaping the full impact:  unbalance list, unhappy players, potential sal cap issues etc.

I'm not sure they have misread where the game is at.  Longmuir was on the way to a successful game plan etc.  Last year they worked on 'defence' and often kept teams to around 10 goals:  the same goal our defence used as a criteria.  

They had a good 'contest' aspect to their game plan and he was building the next phase 'atttack/'offence' into this year.  However, he lost is fwd line and it has all gone off the rails for the reasons I have mentioned several times:  lack of on field leaders, decimated list, lack of experienced players, disgruntled players etc

Are some players disgruntled? Or is this just an assumption?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

Longmuir said that after round three, that they recruited him for the rest of his career, not his first three games.

I just don’t think he wants to single LJ out and discuss him.

I saw that.  It looked a very meek defence of a 20 year old kid who was under seige. 

I would imagine Goodwin's commentary would be very different if it was one of our players under seige.

• Like 3

If they know Darcy is leaving at the end of the year then some of the draft capital may head their way from Geelong. He's a Falcons Mummy's boy.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Looks like Bell has envious eyes towards the MFC.

First Hogan, now Jackson. He just seems to be out there to try and snatch any WA talent from the MFC.

Both times it has backfired for him.

IMO Bell may have thought that it was now or never to get Jackson; had they waited a couple more years WC could have had a real chance to get Jackson.

• Like 3

Just now, Engorged Onion said:

Are some players disgruntled? Or is this just an assumption?

It is an assumption on my part.  But reported info:

• Fyfe didn't want to relinquish captaincy
  • Brayshaw coveted the captaincy but was overlooked
  • Brayshaw contract signed before he became 'elite' for less dollars than he would now be getting
  • Mundy didn't want to retire.
  • Fyfe doesn't want to play fwd
  • Jackson doesn't like to play fwd

Please don't ask for the articles.  I'll leave it to posters to do their own research.

My guesswork is: how the above and Jackson's trade, $, list impact affect other players and what they might earn.  To me that is reasonable 'deductive' reasoning. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I don’t feel for Jackson, Nathan Jones went on radio last year and outlined this exact scenario and the club told Jackson this was a possibility multiple times. There’s a huge risk when a young player goes to a club on huge coin to be a cherry on top premiership winner. That risk is if things go wrong or your form dips the scrutiny is immediate and immense, probably unfairly so. Tom Boyd, Tom Scully, while they both ultimately pushed their clubs to some success their individual careers never hit the peak they were destined for as the constant pressure and mention of money stifled their love of the game at a young age. This was always a possibility for Jacko and as much as I love him and will always be grateful for his part in our flag he was very aware of this component of the decision and sadly this is just the beginning. It’s rare that one player comes in and completes the puzzle, Dangerfield took a long time to get the flag, Lynch is one of the few that worked for Richmond but even that looked a bust for a bit. I think this is just the beginning for Jacko and Freo, lose to the Suns this week and the blowtorch will turn up to 11 but even if Freo can eek out some wins the bubble has burst. They aren’t a team one or two stars away from top 4, they are a team that had one great season with some aging veterans and role players in career best form who are finding out that sustained success in the AFL is very tough. 

I do however feel for Jayden Hunt, after all these years he’s back at a bottom team playing his absolute guts out. Don’t get me wrong, I am happy with Hunter and the direction we took, but I do feel for Jayden who was a big part culturally, love and effort wise in terms of helping bring our club to where it is now and it’s sad we couldn’t fit him in. 

• Like 17
  • Love 1