• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Why did we fade out in games?

Engorged Onion

5 hours ago, Tony Tea said:

As the year wore on, teams clearly avoided trying to kick into Melbourne's zone defence and instead picked short targets until they could dump the ball into the forward 50 with a low kick instead of a bomb. This meant that we had to alter our defensive posture to deal with opponents intent on separating out defenders. This is League Defending 101. Were we able to make the adjustments? Clearly not. As nearly every game in the second half of the year showed, we were okay for half a game, but the effort required to defend a greater spread of opponents seemed to take it out of us. Was this down to our conditioning? Possibly. We should have anticipated something similar. Our seeming lack of fitness in second halves also affected our ability to break away, so it had an effect on our attacking game too. Throw in the pop gun forward line and we could only bang our heads against a brick wall for so long. Since attack is the best form of defence, we lacked a best form of defence. Kick more goals and everything falls into place. Struggle to kick goals and eventually you are going to get hosed the other way. Collingwood and Sydney hosed us the other way. Both had tight defences and lightning fast ball movement, which, once again, we were pushed to defend. Fingers crossed that since nothing happens in isolation, we are able to develop a better fitness level next year and find another clinical avenue to goal. In 2016, 17, 18, 19, 20 and 22 we have dominated inside fifties but been cleaned up the other way in an opponent's short period of domination. Does Goodwin over-commit to defence at the expense of attack? History would suggest maybe. If we can get fitter and our forward play organised next year we'll be in the hunt again, but we've got to, as a priority, find a better system in front half.

Nice TT.  Will have to introduce some decent run into this team as well.  Too many plodders and mature players that can't go with the opp when they put speed on the ball and ahead of the ball.

And with ball in hand we need some players more willing to roll out and take the game on, with better kicking skills to hit targets when they do.

If we can gain some run (spread) and better ball users we can also stretch and waste the oppo's energy by using the switch more effectively and often.  The 'two can play at that game' method is also a viable strategy.

After zapping them of their energy on the switch (as many did to us to great effect this season), later in games you can then start to exploit the corridor more effectively.  Going more direct = speed into 50 and better looks for our forwards.

Having said that we also need better forwards.  If we run roughly the same line up into next season... you and i will be putting up similar post mortems this week next season.

Edited by Demon Dynasty

17 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Will have to introduce some decent run into this team as well.  Too many plodders and mature players that can't go with the opp when they put speed on the ball and ahead of the ball.

And with ball in hand we need some players more willing to roll out and take the game on, with better kicking skills to hit targets when they do.

If we can gain some run (spread) and better ball users we can also stretch and waste the oppo's energy by using the switch more effectively and often.  The 'two can play at that game' method is also a viable strategy.

After zapping them of their energy on the switch (as many did to us to great effect this season), later in games you can then start to exploit the corridor more effectively.  Going more direct = speed into 50 and better looks for our forwards.

Having said that we also need better forwards.  If we run roughly the same line up into next season... you and i will be putting up similar post mortems this week next season.

Spot on, DD.

We most definitely need run-and-carry pace from half back to half forward. We need forwards who can find space for the kickers to kick to and kickers who can find the forwards in space. The backline and onballers are fine (although a speedy halfback would be nice) but as you say, we're a dead loss going from the middle into the forward line. We also need to work on our loose ball work around the contest. Winning the hard ball is made easier when the player who is approaching the hard ball knows what he is going to do with the ball before he gets it. There were several times against the Lions when we approached the footy unsure of what to do with it when we grabbed it and consequently fumbled or stood back. That doesn't happen if you know you're going to win it and give it. On the back end of the hard ball get is the spread. As soon as a Demon approaches the ball his teammates ought to be making position for the takeaway. This is aided by fast run and carry players who can run past an oncoming opponent rather than chip it of lob a handball over the opponent's head. The problem with chip and lob is it gives opponents a chance to either intercept, or spoil the intended receiver. We've got to keep the breaks to as fewer players and disposals as possible.

I lean to the idea that we were physically cooked by the end of the season, with too many players carrying injuries and subsequently lacking condition and fitness. Fingers crossed we can find a way to deal with opposition run, carry & distribute, but it can't be easy playing a full court press against a fast moving opposition.

No doubt our footy department will be honest about our shortcomings, and hopefully come up with solutions.

• Like 4

There is no question that the team looked tired from mid season onwards. The adrenaline evaporated. The bigger problem, I feel was inclusion of two to three players that did not belong in that side. Melksham and Hunt. Whilst I love Hunt, he does not have the polish of a young Jake Bowey. His ball use is elite. No point breaking the lines if you can't deliver efficiently. Melksham, has no presence when the game is tight. Losing Tom Macdonald was most crucial. He is a player that can will mark the ball up the ground. The team missed this aspect while exiting the back line. Tom is a very an intelligent footballer and positions himself more often than not to make the space. The coaches should have brought in Van Rooyen when Tom went down. As much as I love Jack Viney, his effective disposals and decison makeing in games really do hurt. Regardless, they did the best they could. Losing to Collingwood twice in one year was heartbreaking for me.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So one thing I think I noticed between our '21 campaign and '22, and that was the interchange rotations and the different roles Burgess and Selwyn have on matchday. Like Layzie said there is no single factor but a multitude. I do believe the reports that say Selwyn has a clue about his job and is well regarded.

But in '21 Burgess was next to Goody calling the rotations and speaking to players on the bench, I didn't see Selwyn do that this year. Either because I didn't see enough of the bench on screen (I watch everything via WatchAFL) or it wasn't happening.

To me this was a point of difference and have wondered why more than once, it seemed so slick in '21 I wondered why they stopped doing it, thoughts?

On 9/18/2022 at 9:57 AM, Demonsone said:

Pies showed throughout the season inc the prelim how poor our fitness was and the fade-outs.  Gawn said that it felt they didn’t have a break but yet the Cats only played 1 less game than us in 21. Wonder what the club review will highlight & if It will point to Griffiths??

Geelong also had the benefit of few injuries, a soft draw and that [censored] of a ground

• Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 9:57 AM, Demonsone said:

Pies showed throughout the season inc the prelim how poor our fitness was and the fade-outs.  Gawn said that it felt they didn’t have a break but yet the Cats only played 1 less game than us in 21. Wonder what the club review will highlight & if It will point to Griffiths??

Cats had the sense / need to rotate more players though their line ups thus allowing niggles to cover a well as exposing more players. 
Hope we learn. 
I seem to recall David Parkin who wasn’t all that bad a coach saying that a premiership team must not stagnate and must introduce a few basic changes every year regardless of how good they were to avoid stagnating which I feel is what happened to us.