Jump to content

  • Podcast:  

  • Podcast: 2022 Season Review & Trade Wrap 

POSTGAME: QF vs Sydney


Demonland
 Share


Recommended Posts

So don't ask me why but I'm watching the final quarter but I am. 

My god firstly to not kick a goal in the final quarter is a disgrace.

Also we missed 4 shots in a row. And they were all getable. Melksham, then that absolute stuff up between Spargo & Melksham, petracca and someone else

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, watched from the Olympic Stand which is a great view. 

We fundamentally lost this game in the coaches box \ game style. Which is on us because apparently as BB said 'we can win in multiple ways'

Two key points:

1.They played an extra at stoppage, we played a spare with the backs.

2. It was slippery. Had rained just before game and maybe bit of drizzle during.

Despite being outnumbered at the contest and wet, we handballed around the contest rather than putting it on tge boot to one on ones in the fwd half. So we coughed it up and denied our forwards chances. This was why so many fwds had poor games. We looked fumbly bc of the wet and the pressure combined. 

Secondly, on transition we refused to kick long and quick to space and one on ones. Rather we held up play to congest our fwd half. So we wanted to bottle it up at the expense of scoring. 

These are the 2 game style points that cost us. Not withstanding some 50's and missed opps that just went against us. 

Now these elements are somewhat normal to our game plan, but it was the wrong play for the opp setup and conditions last night. 

We defended ourselves out of the game. Opp sides can have no fear if we never threaten to hurt them on the scoreboard.

I dont think slippery conditions suit us, but comparatively it did the swans who are pressure based and who love the spilled contest and crumb with their agility and high skill. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, dees189227 said:

Ugh you wake up and think of key moments that hurt us.

May getting sucked in by buddy. Yes it was soft but we had momentum at the time and again Mays aggression cost us a goal.

Melksham missing crucial shots that he was not missing 2 weeks ago

Max's disposal and that last shot for goal I can't even fathom what that kick was

Harmes just having a brain fade & costing us a goal

Luke Jackson was just really disappointing. I'm not sure what he even contributed.

Lever dropped marks, fumbled and was not clean.

Anyway we'll be written off now. But that's ok. Next week will tell us whereas the players heads are at

May didn’t do anything. That’s all on the ****ty umpiring 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the life of me I don’t see the big rap that Jackson gets, last night 1 mark, 1 kick, 13 hit outs and 1 clearance. For a second ruckman In any team that would get you dropped the next week. He is living on One quarter in a GF from last year. 
we lost this game IMO because we have no KPF’s , Brown was poor again and expecting milkshake to be one has less chance that me getting a game next week. We need to play TMac next week at 90% he is better than both of them. Do something we seldom do. Be daring play JVR could he contribute less than Brown? 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Watched the game and then had a painful look at the highlights of the game and also watched Jake Levers comments post match. We cost ourselves and gave up goals which hurt us. Yes looking back there’s a lot of work to do and composure is critical under pressure. We slipped last night but we get up and go again.
 

1.  Lever stumbles and slips and doesn’t take the option to Brayshaw.  Drops it when trying to kick. 😭  Goal to Hayward 

2. Forward stoppage. swans clearance. Goal to Rowbottom (he was very good all night) 

3. Umpires 🤮hang your heads in shame.🤮 Soft free to swans for a May elbow to Franklin then 50 penalty for Franklin running at May and getting bumped 

4. Gawn trying 9-iron chip in back 50 to Hunt. 😭 Turnover and papley goals. 

5. Jackson 😭taps it down to Mills to goal 

6. Rivers panics 😭and kick OOB on the full. Stephens is a gun and slots it from 50 on a45angle 

7. Mills tries to break free, tackles by Oliver …🤮umps no free? 🤮… picked up by Papley good goal 

8. Harmes - love ya but you can cost us.  Split section too slow in disposal. 😭Grubber ball to 50.  Lloyd omg kicks a great angle goal. 


9. May error trying to access corridor from defence. 😭Turnover. Reid marks. Kozzy 😭gives away a soft 50 (🤮umps !! )

11. Reid - good mark and kick from 50. A good goal. Fair enough. 

12. Warner to runner Mills to put perfect kick to Hickey who marks 15 metres out (simply outsmarted Maxy ) 

13. Harmesy 😭😭😭😭flattens Lloyd unnecessarily and 50 and goodnight 

14 . Overlap run by swans chaos ball - row bottom to Heeney - its over!!! 

 

Some very costly mistakes. Simply last night hurt but we can fix it. I’m sure we can respond. 

I think you have maybe over analysed the situation a bit. That's footy. Turnovers are made and mistakes happen otherwise one team wouldn't win. I assure you if you go back and watch the game without red and blue glasses on you'll see many things the swans could have done better to prevent a goal to the dees, I'm sure swans fans could identify plenty.

Then again some of the passages of play you mention involve some of our leaders in Gawn, May, Lever and you would have liked for them to stand up and set an example...

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our biggest problem is our game plan.

A team like Sydney don’t allow the backs to make it a half ground press, they keep some honest along the half forward line meaning when the ball comes through the middle they have all the space and slice us up. 
Goodwin should have seen this 3 months ago but we have stuck with it, which is great when it works but when it doesn’t, nothing changed or ever does. 
Said this ages ago, we need a actual forwards coach that knows how to structure up a forward line, this kick to the pocket and hope for a re set is great… except it’s always to a 1 on 3 with zero crumbers around.

I mean we didn’t even try to isolate Fritta or Trac or anyone deep last night, we just kept on keeping on. It will be enough to beat the Lions but we are about to get slaughtered in the Prelim.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will be out in straight sets, absolute waste of a year after winning 1st 10 games, need the pre season to come up with a new game plan that actually suits the MCG We are hopeless on our home deck, I would have rather played Sydney at the scg last night 

  • Like 3
  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


11 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Watched the game and then had a painful look at the highlights of the game and also watched Jake Levers comments post match. We cost ourselves and gave up goals which hurt us. Yes looking back there’s a lot of work to do and composure is critical under pressure. We slipped last night but we get up and go again.
 

1.  Lever stumbles and slips and doesn’t take the option to Brayshaw.  Drops it when trying to kick. 😭  Goal to Hayward 

2. Forward stoppage. swans clearance. Goal to Rowbottom (he was very good all night) 

3. Umpires 🤮hang your heads in shame.🤮 Soft free to swans for a May elbow to Franklin then 50 penalty for Franklin running at May and getting bumped 

4. Gawn trying 9-iron chip in back 50 to Hunt. 😭 Turnover and papley goals. 

5. Jackson 😭taps it down to Mills to goal 

6. Rivers panics 😭and kick OOB on the full. Stephens is a gun and slots it from 50 on a45angle 

7. Mills tries to break free, tackles by Oliver …🤮umps no free? 🤮… picked up by Papley good goal 

8. Harmes - love ya but you can cost us.  Split section too slow in disposal. 😭Grubber ball to 50.  Lloyd omg kicks a great angle goal. 


9. May error trying to access corridor from defence. 😭Turnover. Reid marks. Kozzy 😭gives away a soft 50 (🤮umps !! )

11. Reid - good mark and kick from 50. A good goal. Fair enough. 

12. Warner to runner Mills to put perfect kick to Hickey who marks 15 metres out (simply outsmarted Maxy ) 

13. Harmesy 😭😭😭😭flattens Lloyd unnecessarily and 50 and goodnight 

14 . Overlap run by swans chaos ball - row bottom to Heeney - its over!!! 

 

Some very costly mistakes. Simply last night hurt but we can fix it. I’m sure we can respond. 

Appreciate you putting yourself through all that again! You are spot on - that’s how I saw it at the game: poor execution and discipline led to many of their goals, although the last few were very good, as the Swans became more confident.

To my eyes, we are still a good team, but our mojo has been missing a lot this year. I thought it had sparked vs Brisbane, but I thought we looked flatter last night. Our forward line is still undermanned and when it’s not firing, it’s REALLY not firing.

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Gorgoroth said:

Our biggest problem is our game plan.

A team like Sydney don’t allow the backs to make it a half ground press, they keep some honest along the half forward line meaning when the ball comes through the middle they have all the space and slice us up. 
Goodwin should have seen this 3 months ago but we have stuck with it, which is great when it works but when it doesn’t, nothing changed or ever does. 
Said this ages ago, we need a actual forwards coach that knows how to structure up a forward line, this kick to the pocket and hope for a re set is great… except it’s always to a 1 on 3 with zero crumbers around.

I mean we didn’t even try to isolate Fritta or Trac or anyone deep last night, we just kept on keeping on. It will be enough to beat the Lions but we are about to get slaughtered in the Prelim.

This is entirely correct! Swans had all the space between the centre and half forward.The swans just moved the ball into this space and ran on. Our press is always to high in my view

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sydney were super efficient inside 50. Converted some tough shots. And then add in poor turnovers by us in defensive half and 50m penalty goals. Even Milkshakes slipping and Spargo's shot being smothered in what should have been a certain goal.

In a close game these things count big time so it's not the end of the world. Sydney in top form. We just gotta be at our best next time.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, brendan said:

Will be out in straight sets, absolute waste of a year after winning 1st 10 games, need the pre season to come up with a new game plan that actually suits the MCG We are hopeless on our home deck, I would have rather played Sydney at the scg last night 

lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, waynewussell said:

Ahhh, supporters! Take a breath. It ain't called a double chance for no reason. How do you think Bears supporters are feeling this morning? "oh, [censored]! Now we have to play the Premiers on the rebound on their own turf!"

Based on our success there I would rather play them at the Gabba. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

Our biggest problem is our game plan.

A team like Sydney don’t allow the backs to make it a half ground press, they keep some honest along the half forward line meaning when the ball comes through the middle they have all the space and slice us up. 
Goodwin should have seen this 3 months ago but we have stuck with it, which is great when it works but when it doesn’t, nothing changed or ever does. 
Said this ages ago, we need a actual forwards coach that knows how to structure up a forward line, this kick to the pocket and hope for a re set is great… except it’s always to a 1 on 3 with zero crumbers around.

I mean we didn’t even try to isolate Fritta or Trac or anyone deep last night, we just kept on keeping on. It will be enough to beat the Lions but we are about to get slaughtered in the Prelim.

Agree.

Maybe I don’t know enough about footy. But can’t get my head around the strategy of having Jackson/Gawn (or Gawn/Brown etc) together in a pack and bombing it to them from the wing or half back flank. Sure it’s predictable for us, and we can try and win a contest when the ball hits the ground (and get repeat entries) But it’s also incredibly predictable for the opposition, who can setup both defensive cover, and outlet players ahead of the ball (because they don’t have to defend the whole ground - just the area where our talls are standing together), for the times they do win the ground ball contest. 

I place little blame on Brown / Koz / Melk for their lack of impact last night, and most of it on our game style. 

Why did we abort what worked so well against the Lions?? 
 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, old dee said:

Based on our success there I would rather play them at the Gabba. 

They literally haven’t won at the G for over a decade and we absolutely [censored] on them there 10 games ago 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GCDee said:

They literally haven’t won at the G for over a decade and we absolutely [censored] on them there 10 games ago 

We will smash them imo

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought we looked like a “tired old bull” last night . We have played through a lot of adversity this year ..apart from the obvious of being the hunted & the hardest draw it has been injuries & the quality of our bottom 6. Last season the majority of these were our younger players  but then ANB also had a season which was exemplary. This year our younger players are playing tired or injured ..ANB has been very average & we have had major injuries to key players namely TMac..Salem & Gawn & then JJ who would  be handy next week. Whilst TMac probably won’t play ..there is also no way Salem & Gawn aren’t playing under duress & possibly quite a few others. If we had had a fit JSmith or  Weid in form it would have helped enormously but we didn’t & the reality is our game plan looks average because a lot of players are playing in different roles. BBrown has been valiant but his strength is not the role he has been forced to play & we play Gawn & Jacko the way we do because Gawn is great but can’t do it all & Jacko has had an average season ..playing injured..& maybe his head not in it but I think he is part of our younger brigade that have not reached the same levels of last year. I don’t aspire to throwing young key players into the fray just because we are so average up forward …VFL is a long way from AFL standard. I think our top talent has kept us in games & we have battled so hard & it’s a credit to finish 2nd. I would love to think we can flick a switch & play like we did last year in finals but not so sure we can do it this year. Hope we do. However still think our future is incredibly bright & if it’s not this year I’m extremely confident we’ll be contesting next year ! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, JV7 said:

Not sure why the coaching panel continually persisted with Gawn forward & Jackson in the ruck... Jackson was getting absolutely torched by Hickey & it was evident that when Gawn went in there that we go back on top.

You've got the 6 x All Australian ruckmen & one of the greatest of all time not to mention your captain starting a game at Full Forward in a final, Gawn needed to start in the middle & set the tone (yes first quarter was good but still). 3 QRT time & we were on the ropes & Gawn starts at FF again.... Makes no sense.

It's as if the coaches are waiting for Jackson to replicate one of those 3rd QR GF bursts but he just isn't playing well at the moment or the season for that matter. 

Next week has me nervous, banged up Trac, Brisbane knowing they are our bunnies, their MCG hoodoo, Zorko factor... They will bring the heat, we would need to improve significantly to win next week. 

This was one of the most bizarre coaching of the night.

We've had the best ruckman in the game just gather his 6th AA as a ruckman and bloody Goody finds it fit to start him at FF.

Goody and the coaches were incredibly sloe to react to this. You can tell Jackson was getting overwhelmed by Hickey but yet we stuck with this same plan going into the last quarter.

Knew then and there we were gone when Gawn started FF in the last quarter.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, dazzledavey36 said:

This was one of the most bizarre coaching of the night.

We've had the best ruckman in the game just gather his 6th AA as a ruckman and bloody Goody finds it fit to start him at FF.

Goody and the coaches were incredibly sloe to react to this. You can tell Jackson was getting overwhelmed by Hickey but yet we stuck with this same plan going into the last quarter.

Knew then and there we were gone when Gawn started FF in the last quarter.

And yet we started each quarter like a house on fire. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All that work for a double chance....we could be in a prelim but tge number of passengers was astonishing.

Kozzie....didn't even do much chasing or tackling.

Anb

Bbb

Jv

Jackson

Melksham...now I remember this guy.

These blokes hold all be dropped given what was at stake.

But we can't.maybe one or two.

Max tried but his disposal was shocking.

Harmes the same.

Tracca injured but has had a topsy turvy year.

Langers....fumbles a plenty

Gus worst game of the year for him.

Lever ...a couple of marks and that's all folks.

May...Fritta and Oliver the latter who was targeted all night.... hold your heads high.

2nd rate team that somehow finished 2nd.

Wow. How did that happen?

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The motivation for wanting to win it for their supporters and family  may be having the opposite affect, as there’s a heavy weight of expectation .

Last year they played  with more freedom and fun when anything was possible, living away from home together creating that bond.

They have no choice but to dig deep and find something really special now.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

All that work for a double chance....we could be in a prelim but tge number of passengers was astonishing.

Kozzie....didn't even do much chasing or tackling.

Anb

Bbb

Jv

Jackson

Melksham...now I remember this guy.

These blokes hold all be dropped given what was at stake.

But we can't.maybe one or two.

Max tried but his disposal was shocking.

Harmes the same.

Tracca injured but has had a topsy turvy year.

Langers....fumbles a plenty

Gus worst game of the year for him.

Lever ...a couple of marks and that's all folks.

May...Fritta and Oliver the latter who was targeted all night.... hold your heads high.

2nd rate team that somehow finished 2nd.

Wow. How did that happen?

All that and we only got done by 22 points. Should be easy to fix. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    GRAND NEW FLAG by Meggs

    Daisy was at pains to tell everyone who asked that the grand final story was NOT the Daisy Pearce story.  She wanted people to focus on the Melbourne Football Club, our wonderful players and non-playing teammates, her legacy buddy head coach Mick Stinear, the assistant coaches, the Club volunteers, the Board, the administrators, #DeeArmy, all supporters, in fact anyone who bleeds for the red and the blue.  But it is also a bit about the pioneer, role model, mother who is Daisy Pearce

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    EYES ON THE PRIZE by Meggs

    The Stinear/Pearce partnership has evolved over the 7 AFLW seasons and they have built a team with talented, committed footballers who play for each other and execute a highly entertaining brand of footy. On Sunday can a premiership be added to this legacy? This may well be the last time we see Daisy in the mighty red and blue as she contemplates her start date for a coaching role ‘Down at Kardinia Park’.  Last week’s sensational sealer in the Prelim showed everybody that Daisy could s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DAISY’S DEMON DRIVE by Meggs

    On a blustery Saturday afternoon when the conditions affected marking skills and the ball bounced unpredictably, the Mighty Dees stuck fat against a determined Kangaroos outfit to break away with two final quarter goals to none to win AFLW Preliminary Final 2 by 17 points — an all-time high winning margin between these two teams.  From the outset it was a fiercely fought contest with Melbourne unable to find the ball in space. North really amped up their one-percenters an

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NOT A MOMENT TO MISS by Meggs

    The AFLW Season 7 fixture was carefully crafted to purposely handicap the better teams and give the expansion and developing sides an easier draw.  Nonetheless, this weekend’s Preliminary Finals will showcase the Lions, Demons, Crows and Roos, teams widely accepted as the best 4 in the competition.   In Friday night’s Prelim 1 the minor premiers, Brisbane, will start warm favourites at home against Adelaide.   On Saturday afternoon at Ikon Park, Prelim 2 between Melbourne and North is

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STICK TO YOUR GUNS by Meggs

    The Dees convincingly overcome the fast-starting reigning-premiers Adelaide to win by 21 points in a fiery Qualifying Final match at Ikon Park on Friday evening.     In that first quarter Adelaide jumped out of the blocks kicking their first goal inside 20 seconds finishing with 3 goals to nil. All was quiet at Ikon Park.     Melbourne, having easily outplayed lesser opponents over the past six weeks took time to ratchet up their intensity.  But, by mid to late first quarter, the Dees be

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    HEAVYWEIGHTS by Meggs

    AFLW heavyweights Melbourne and Adelaide kick off the AFLW Season 7 Final Series with a massive Qualifying Final clash at Ikon Park this Friday night at 7:10pm.  The game promises to be a cracker.   Last season’s Grand Final combatants last met in Round 1where Melbourne came away with a strong 18-point victory at Glenelg Oval. The Dees will be hoping to replicate the result and move directly to the Preliminary Final.    While Adelaide may not have been as intimidating this season as in p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MISSED IT BY THAT MUCH by Meggs

    Congratulations to Daisy’s Dees on a huge 78-point one-sided win against West Coast in challenging windy and wet conditions at Casey Fields.     The banner celebrating Sarah Lampard’s 50 games was a victim of the wind, but nonetheless Lampy received a warm round of applause from the parochial crowd in attendance.   Melbourne has the double-chance and is excited about its chances in the Season 7 AFLW finals. If this means the Grand Final is played at Metricon and the Demond make it, then

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LIVE IN THE MOMENT by Meggs

    The final home and away match of Season 7, sees the mighty Dees at Fortress Casey hosting the 16th placed West Coast.     A win assures the Dees of a Top-2 finish, with the ultimate placings dependent upon the previous night’s result between Brisbane and Collingwood and the relative percentages.   As our match is anticipated to be one-sided, interest may turn to monitoring the live ladder to see whether or not Melbourne has secured the minor premiership.     The Demons (Lions and Cro

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    BOMBED by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne has all but assured itself of a top two finish to the (second) 2022 AFLW season after crushing Essendon by 41 points on Sunday. It now holds a four point lead over third placed Adelaide along with a handy percentage advantage with one round remaining before the finals. The Demons opened kicking with the advantage of the squally wind that often prevails at Casey Fields and for the third week in a row, they kept their opponents scoreless in the opening term. Speedster Alyssa Ba

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...