CHANGES: QF vs Sydney

Demonland

13 hours ago, mo64 said:

Spargo clearly started on the wing, but it's hard to gauge what percentage of time he spent there because he was largely unsighted after the 1st qtr.

And we have a ready made wingman in Jordon, so we don't have to turn a backman into a wingman. 

Stop making excuses for Spargo's lack of output.

Langdon played 100% wing, I don’t think he’s ever played anywhere else for us.

I didn’t see Harmes play anywhere but wing. He didn’t attend a centre bounce and I didn’t see him start forward at any time.

We aren’t going to bring JJ in to play 21% game time on a wing. He’d have to split the wing with Harmes and they would both have to play significant time forward to make that happen and we don’t want that.

We want a small forward who makes excellent position, hits targets inside 50 and always gets in the right defensive positions.

Brisbanes game plan relies upon Rich and Kiddy Coleman bouncing from half back and hitting up running mids - Clugg, Bailey, Neale etc who then get it in quick to dangerous forwards. Spargo did his job stopping those quick bounces from half back. He plays in the hardest and least rewarding spot on the ground and that has to be accounted for when measuring his output.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Spargo did his job stopping those quick bounces from half back. He plays in the hardest and least rewarding spot on the ground and that has to be accounted for when measuring his output.

He'll have his hands full with the Lizard, but he's up for it.

• Vomit 1

I would not drop Bowey makes the right decisions and better user of the Ball also tackles stick the unlucky one would be Nibbler he needs to work on his decision making with Ball in hand also gets caught make him earn his spot Back Bowey can play on Talls and Smalls the Swans have a very good group of Both

• Like 2

Why do a very small number of posters say Nibbler should be dropped. 
it will never happen. Every Dees player has a specific role. I’ve no doubt the FD are happy that ANB is playing his role every week.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, M_9 said:

Why do a very small number of posters say Nibbler should be dropped. 
it will never happen. Every Dees player has a specific role. I’ve no doubt the FD are happy that ANB is playing his role every week.

Are you saying the poor disposal and decision making is built into his role

• Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Shocked 2

5 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

Can we forgo the Spargo as the third/relief winger experiment? Brayshaw would be a better option.

Salem for Bowey will be the only change.

Salem is unavailable for two weeks Groin!!

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Diamond_Jim said:

?????????

source

His not playing last weekend was said to be a precautionary move only

My mail had a 3 week groin issue not major but needs rest. Has had 1 week off

See if he is training this week?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kent said:

It will be one day shy of three weeks when we play the QF so will he not be ok?

22 minutes ago, old55 said:

If we play Geelong, I think Jake Melksham will be handy for Tom Stewart.

Good point. He needs a smart player on him, who can also damage if not manned up. Melk is probably the ideal one for him.

16 minutes ago, Kent said:

Trained in rehab with Moniz-wakefield, mainly kicking to each other, though they did several 150 meters, 1/2 to 3/4 pace runs along the boundary and behind the goals. Nothing with exertion. 

Edited by kev martin
  • Thanks 3

Just now, kev martin said:

Trained in rehab with Moniz-wakefield, mainly kicking to each other, though they did several 150 meters 1/2 to 3/4 pace runs along the boundary and behind the goals. Nothing with exertion. 

Thanks Kev for the update! May be touch and Go

I'm happy for either Salem or Bowey but I don't think Salem has been 100% all year!

• Like 1

If there is a hint of doubt you would rest Salem again.. we are playing minimum 2 finals, and in truth its a position we can cover, Bowey has more pace as well so against a quick side like Swans might be a good in.

Papley is the key - does Hibberd go to him - has to i assume.

Edited by Demon3
  • Like 1

Salem in for Bowey if fit, otherwise no change.

I don’t expect TMac to get up. It would be a big risk to name him and change the structure of the team with another tall based off 3 quarters in the VFL this weekend. He’s missed a lot of footy and as an endurance athlete I struggle to see him coming in and having an impact. He usually takes time to find form when returning from injury too.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Salem in for Bowey if fit, otherwise no change.

I don’t expect TMac to get up. It would be a big risk to name him and change the structure of the team with another tall based off 3 quarters in the VFL this weekend. He’s missed a lot of footy and as an endurance athlete I struggle to see him coming in and having an impact. He usually takes time to find form when returning from injury too.

I don't know if I subscribe to this view. But if we accept the premise, we're running out of time and matches for him to play in. For that reason, should he play as soon as possible to "find form" ASAP? Against that view is (1) who would come out for him? and (2) is it too much of a risk to play him if we're not confident he will contribute sufficiently? 

They're not easy questions to answer.

• Thinking 1

On 8/21/2022 at 12:00 PM, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Spargo has played the last 48 or 49 games in a row. That's win, lose or draw. What makes him the talisman? Are you saying that when he plays well we win? I'm struggling with that given his performance in the last two games. 

When Fritsch and Pickett kick four goals each, MFC wins due to an obvious causal link.  I have formed the opinion that when I see on the TV that Spargo is regularly on the defensive 50, MFC wins.  I use the word, Talisman, indicating magic or the lack of an obvious causal link.  And I like the word itself.  Largely, I just want to join in.  Also see my stinging retort to Mo64.