Farewell Brodie Grundy

Ouch!

36 minutes ago, adonski said:

They received pick 14 for the Treloar because the dogs literally didn't need it, as it would have gotten chewed up in the JUH bid 

It may have worked out that way as they had Jamar in the draft that year. But are they on the record saying they wouldn't have traded Pick 14 if it weren't for Jamar?

I suspect not, meaning whatever the other circumstances that were happening at the time, they still traded a 1st Round Pick for a salary dump.

Just don’t feel comfortable with a Grundy deal and if it also involves a high pick, even less comfortable.

Comparisons of two previous trades , Kelly and Cameron ,set some sort of  precedent for any  Jacko, trade should it happen.

To then take on a Collingwood problem and pay  them super handsomely for it, just doesn’t sit right with me.

End of rant.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

43 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

It may have worked out that way as they had Jamar in the draft that year. But are they on the record saying they wouldn't have traded Pick 14 if it weren't for Jamar?

I suspect not, meaning whatever the other circumstances that were happening at the time, they still traded a 1st Round Pick for a salary dump.

Not sure what Mark Jamar has to do with anything, but the Dogs absolutely knew they were getting Jamarra and so were always trading pick 14 for a bunch of later picks. The same scenario has happened with multiple father sons and academy players for years now.

Look at last year, the Dogs gave up their first pick (which came to us eventually) for a bunch of seconds and thirds:

Western Bulldogs
In: 23, 44, 45
Out: 17, 75

The reality is they got Treloar for next to nothing. That’s what happens when the club bringing in a player has all the leverage.

Collingwood want Grundy out for McStay and a midfielder (latest rumoured name is Mitchell).

They are in no position to ask for the full price, even with paying a chunk of his salary.

The most the pies could demand is an early second, and the reality is they’d probably settle for whatever it takes to get Mitchell in - a late second at best.

If we go down the path of getting him it really shouldn’t be part of a deal for Jackson.

• Like 6

On 8/17/2022 at 8:38 AM, mo64 said:

Gawn took Cameron apart and we lost. Finlayson got completely dominated by Draper. Hit out numbers were something like 60-10, and the Bombers lost by a trillion.

A dominant ruckman is only as good as his midfield, and can be easily neutralised. 

Just like Boyd was.

Pies have to get Grundy off there books to facilitate there other trades they will have absolutely no leverage, fact they are already willing to pay 300k per year of his contract is just a starting point, I expect whoever Grundy nominates will get pies to chip in even more and won’t have to pay anything much in terms of picks to force there hand either. Maybe a swap of 1st picks or mid 2nd round, think Ben Brown trade 

Edited by Garbo
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Not sure what Mark Jamar has to do with anything, but the Dogs absolutely knew they were getting Jamarra and so were always trading pick 14 for a bunch of later picks. The same scenario has happened with multiple father sons and academy players for years now.

Look at last year, the Dogs gave up their first pick (which came to us eventually) for a bunch of seconds and thirds:

Western Bulldogs
In: 23, 44, 45
Out: 17, 75

The reality is they got Treloar for next to nothing. That’s what happens when the club bringing in a player has all the leverage.

Collingwood want Grundy out for McStay and a midfielder (latest rumoured name is Mitchell).

They are in no position to ask for the full price, even with paying a chunk of his salary.

The most the pies could demand is an early second, and the reality is they’d probably settle for whatever it takes to get Mitchell in - a late second at best.

If we go down the path of getting him it really shouldn’t be part of a deal for Jackson.

Whether they needed points for Jamar or not is irrelevant. They still handed over a 1st Round Pick which is the whole point.

Time will tell. And if Grundy goes for a 2nd round pick or less than I'll eat humble pie and admit I got it wrong.

Pretty confident that won't be the case however. I think there's a bit too much wishful thinking on this site IMO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, picket fence said:

I DONT !! would make us near INVINSIBLE

I guess this is a combination of invisible and invincible? If he can't get over his injuries he could be 'invisible'. At 29, this is a real possibility. Or if he can, maybe he'll be 'invincible' playing second fiddle to Gawn?

A big gamble!

Or Jason Taylor can find another young gun with the draft capital available and we unearth another star to learn under Gawn. 

I'd prefer De Koning from Carlton. But just two injury free years of a Gawn/Grundy combination in the ruck could be what finally gets us those 4 consecutive flags after we take care of business later this month.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I honestly don’t care what the FD does with draft picks especially as we are in our window.

BUT

In no way should COLLINGWOOD. GET. A. FIRST. ROUND. PICK. FOR. GRUNDY.

I DGAF what people think about ‘help for Gawn’ or ‘proven finals player’ he is an injury prone player that a club is trying to ‘salary dump’ - you don’t get a good pick back for that.

rp out

• Like 14
  • Love 1

I’m another one that’s not overly excited by the thought of us getting Grundy but I guess it all comes down to detail. Agree with other that we shouldn’t be given up a first round pick but if we can get him for a second rounder or future second rounder and not use any of the picks we get for Jackson then it makes sense. 
Needs to be some flexibility in his contract to so that if he is plagued with injuries and can’t get a game then he’s not on the books for 5 years. 
If we lose Jackson and mange to bring Grundy and draft a key forward and young ruck then that’s a good trade period for us. 

• Like 3

As mentioned previously if we receive a first rounder for Jackson and simply hand it over for Grundy that would not be ideal. I'm confident it won't go down like this but I can see the general media spouting nonsense about Grundy for Jackson being fair compo. No. 

• Like 2

You would think that it all comes down to how much Pies want his contract off the books? If they want him gawn then they would have accept a second rounder from the club he chooses to go to. Pay some of his contract too. Unlucky for Pies he has played only 6 games this year. So on top of not wanting his contract on the books, they are trying to trade him when his value is low due to injuries.

Its really either accept the low value or keep him for his contracted 5 years which I am guessing puts them underwater cap wise hence why they are keen to see him leave. It's not Grundy pushing for this remember.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Won't he be 29 next year.

That's getting old for a ruck. Imho.

Shhh don't say that to Max

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2022 at 7:29 PM, Travy14 said:

Grundy is the Best Ruck in the league after Max.  but it is way to much to pay for a 28yo second ruck.

Geelong and Essendon should be throwing the kitchen sink at him if they have any brains.

hes not old enough for geelong 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Won't he be 29 next year.

That's getting old for a ruck. Imho.

Rucks tend to play on longer than most. This is especially true for those that don't rely on leaping. I imagine, based on his big bodied bullocking style, that Grundy will still be effective at 34-35.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, SFebes said:

I'm not excited by Grundy at all. Injury prone and unsure where he fits in. Gawn isn't a forward and Grundy is a no.1 ruck.

That is not backed up by facts

• 2021 20 games
  • 2020 19 games
  • 2019 24 games
  • 2018 26 games
  • 2017 20 games
  • 2016 21 games

You made the same erroneous claims about TMac. Maybe use google

Edited by jnrmac
  • Like 6