Caro Verbosis Interruptus

Redleg

Caroline Wilson is not a Sports Journalist. She is a person of limited intellect, a reasonable but not particularly impressive vocabulary, arrogant disposition and she has an extremely large chip on her shoulder which seems to boil down to being generally unappealing in both tone and appearance.

Edited by Thehardtackler
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 5
  • Shocked 1
  • Vomit 3

1 hour ago, Thehardtackler said:

Caroline Wilson is not a Sports Journalist. She is a person of limited intellect, a reasonable but not particularly impressive vocabulary, arrogant disposition and she has an extremely large chip on her shoulder which seems to boil down to being generally unappealing in both tone and appearance.

Her appearance???

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Thehardtackler said:

Nailed it 

• Like 1

I don't watch that show and I don't have much time for Wilson as a public  journalist.

However like most of them she's developed a " personality " on which to sell her career.

Cornes and King  for sure.

I don't think there is any excuse for BT ,Rex Hunt or Harry Beitzel before them

However the observation re using mental health as a convenient " go to" rationalisation/ excuse can be seen all the way down from the Courts to misbehaving at school.

I think Caro mentioned Wattsy saying he could hardly get out of bed at one stage because of press pressure when he had Fu#ck#d up.

Fair enough ,I have some sympathy for Wattsy, but that's a conventional mental health response. 

I have had trouble getting up and going after relationship breakdowns or not wanting to face the music over various of my  life's malfunctions.

Most people I know have.

That's mental "health" for sure, but hardly a distinguishing disability. 

The freeway police death photo guy effect is a mental health disability.

This guy appears to be a boof head bogan who needs to smell the roses his sporting ability has provided him not complain about things within his and his friends  control.

And Clubs need to get better  advice on managing their employee's   for the benefit of the Clubs workplace culture.

I'd be more concerned about the mental health motivations of   "wanna be"non playing management guys like Kennett and McGuire myself

Edited by IRW
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Thehardtackler said:

Caroline Wilson is not a Sports Journalist.

Factually incorrect, I'm afraid. 

Caroline Wilson has been a Sports Journalist for 40 years including 18 years as chief football writer at 'The Age'.  She has also appeared on radio and TV and has won several awards for her journalism.  These are facts, not opinion.

• Like 14

When Eddie gets on his soapbox about something no one else can get a word in, especially if anyone has the gall to disagree with him.

Not a fan of Caro, but glad she at least tried to pull him up.

He makes the Wednesday Classified is near unwatchable now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Captain Jack Jordan said:

She's umpleasant,pernickity, crotchety and deliberately over-dramatic.

That's a great word. Well played !!

'Crotchety' is not bad either, but not as good as 'pernickity'. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Demonstone said:

Caroline Wilson has been a Sports Journalist for 40 years including 18 years as chief football writer at 'The Age'.  She has also appeared on radio and TV and has won several awards for her journalism.  These are facts, not opinion.

Sorry. I don’t mean to burst your bubble. She is a sports journalist in a country which has a generally low standard of journalism. Martin Flanagan is a proper Sports Journalist. She is terrible! I have never read anything decent by her. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

2 hours ago, rpfc said:

She mentioned the ‘fabulous crowd’ on Saturday on 3AW, and said well done to Melbourne supporters ‘especially considering Richmond only got 21k a few weeks prior.’

Well then credit to her. 

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

11 minutes ago, Thehardtackler said:

Sorry. I don’t mean to burst your bubble. She is a sports journalist in a country which has a generally low standard of journalism. Martin Flanagan is a proper Sports Journalist. She is terrible! I have never read anything decent by her. 

Caro is clearly a Senior Sports Journalist, whereas I would class Martin Flanagan more a Sports Feature writer. Caro reports on the game and its administration plus certain games in particular, whereas Martin picks interesting areas and personalities of the game, to write about as a featured article.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Caro is clearly a Senior Sports Journalist, whereas I would class Martin Flanagan more a Sports Feature writer. Caro reports on the game and its administration plus certain games in particular, whereas Martin picks interesting areas and personalities of the game, to write about as a featured article.

However, he can actually write in that strange language so butchered in our country. I believe it is called English.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Thehardtackler said:

You're saying that she IS a sports journalist amid a sea of mediocrity and you don't rate her.

That's fair enough.

As far as Martin Flanagan goes, he is one of the very best writers I've had the pleasure of reading.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Demonstone said:

Come on now this is the Demonland forum. Facts come in a distant fourth behind outrage, pomposity & self righteousness.

• Haha 2

On 6/23/2022 at 8:00 PM, Queanbeyan Demon said:

Wilson is brilliant IMHO. Do I always agree with her? No. Does she sometimes get it wrong? Yes. Who amongst us hasn't made mistakes? We're all keyboard heroes to some degree, including QD. Pointing out the errors of others whilst being reluctant to admit our own is par for the course online. 

She has been brilliant in holding the often nefarious VFL/AFL to account for decades. She used to get suck into Oakley and Vlad on a regular basis. 

And as for the morons in clubland . . . she's been superb. For example:

• the hypocrisy of the Swans whinging while benefitting from COLA, draft concessions and AFL handouts to recruit stars,
  • the series of completely dysfunctional administrations at Linton Street over five decades, with a spectacular highlight (hard to pick one admittedly) being the duplicitousness fiasco involving Blight (thanks for all the headlines Minibus),
  • she was the first to go after the Golden Child at Windy Hill before it became popular game fishing,
  • she couldn't stand the Elliott cheating regime at Royal Parade,
  • she chased down the Crows in 2018,
  • called out the finger up-the-date debacle at Bunt Road for exactly what it was,
  • she went ferreting after Meth Coke, and
  • called out the sanctimoniousness at the Filth on a monthly basis. 

And finally, I would say this. If she is talking over Triple Chins, I am not surprised. She has been subjected to, and had to put up with, sexism, prejudice, misogyny, behind the hand sniggers, and white male 'right to entitlement' at all levels of the game for a long time. How she has survived it is amazing. She must be a strong person. She has had to interrupt to be heard over the egocentric, self-important, arrogant and attention seeking FWs for a long time. Wilson has played a huge part in paving the way for a greater role for women in the game. Her legacy is assured. 

Beautifully detailed QD.❤️💙

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2022 at 2:10 AM, Thehardtackler said:

On 6/26/2022 at 4:08 AM, 1964_2 said:

Nailed it 

On 6/26/2022 at 8:22 AM, Captain Jack Jordan said:

She's umpleasant,pernickity, crotchety and deliberately over-dramatic.

I would call the three of you out for your inherent sexism here but I'm sure you'll just respond by telling me you're not sexist and you just don't like Caro.

Of course, I'd rate the chances of you using these words to describe a male journalist at 0.5%.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Demonstone said:

QED.

I'm claiming Aurum on this one, Mr Stone! Who's up for Argenti and Aereus? (are you there, Caro?)

Edited by Timothy Reddan-A'Blew
  • Thinking 2

56 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

I would call the three of you out for your inherent sexism here but I'm sure you'll just respond by telling me you're not sexist and you just don't like Caro.

Of course, I'd rate the chances of you using these words to describe a male journalist at 0.5%.

Completely incorrect. Plenty of male journalists I don’t like. 

Know someone personally who was severely damaged by Caro’s “journalism”, and have watched her closely since, and seen her repeat the same style of manipulative content at the expense of people’s health/reputation etc on multiple occasions. 

The hypocrisy in her statements around Jordon De Goey is off the charts :- as the latest of many examples. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I can think of a lot of words for some of Caro’s male counterparts, not all but some. Lazy, unoriginal, slippery, repetitive, single minded and lacking memory and moral fibre.!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeeZone said:

I can think of a lot of words for some of Caro’s male counterparts, not all but some. Lazy, unoriginal, slippery, repetitive, single minded and lacking memory and moral fibre.!!!

Sounds like my old school reports.

• Haha 2

Sorry about my obtuseness earlier, @Neil Crompton and @DeeZone. I was being a smart**** by obliquely linking @Demonstone's Latin shorthand to his conundrumming, claiming a gold and throwing to others for the silver and bronze (compounding my smart****dness). I then edited a Caro reference in as a lame afterthought to be on topic i.e. would Caro know 'QED'?

I'll stop myself there (having shown myself out...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1