POSTGAME: Rd 08 vs St Kilda

Demonland

Rivers was pretty quiet today. 
with Bowey and Gus playing terrific defensive footy and Jordon owning the wing he could find himself out of the team in the coming weeks with Salem nearing a return. 

Edited by McQueen
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1

This is what the top tier do.

Our execution first half was magnificent under great pressure from St. Kilda (to the expense of their ball movement which improved a lot in the second half). We then absorbed their best while remaining steady.

Tomald was great today. He keeps that up and he’ll stay in the team till September. The great man may have a third wind based on that. I was convinced he was on his last legs before today but I may have to eat a cement mixer full of humble pie.

Lap it up kids!

When an opponent seems to have a bit of momentum it’s efforts like Spargo’s that make it very hard for them to score against us. Not giving up on the play after one tackle he quickly puts on another one and just made Membrey rush the kick forward early in the last. 
Goes a long way to winning games and absolutely loving what this team is doing at the moment.

• Like 20
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Jury not in yet, but definitely played himself to 201. I'm happy for him, back to his best today.

He performed when the game was there to be won and against the highest rated team we've played all year playing a high pressure game.

Some great attack on the pill, presented well, a number of score involvements including some up the field (work ethic).  Competed well at ground level and kicked two VN goals.

If we got that or similar most weeks from Plugga he's gonna be very hard to dislodge this season, injury aside.

• Like 8

I had this weird feeling before the game, one that I'd never felt before. I'd heard other supporters talk about it but I thought it was a myth.

'Confidence', I think it's called. I was 'confident' going into this match and it turned out to be well placed.

Weird.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

After the dominate part in the second qtr I reckon we bombed it long to moser stationary targets/packs and that must be addressed. 

In saying that we had some horrible moments and some amazing moments. Still miss Salem so much, Trac has a few levels to go, Tmac looked good marking and contesting which was good to see.
Langdon… just wow.

Clarrie will be the best MFC player ever by careers end if he keeps on.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Smokey said:

I just love how little stress I feel watching footy these days. I expected us to do that today. My MFCSS is a thing of the past.

It's beautiful isn't it? I am enjoying my football just as much as last year but in a completely different way.

While I'm not looking forward to a loss, I'm simply not worried about it. I'm enjoying every game, celebrating ever win and am already looking forward to finals.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Jury not in yet, but definitely played himself to 201. I'm happy for him, back to his best today.

His marking was back, everything else comes from that. When he is clunking the ball he is a very hard match up.

• Like 7

How good was Langdon?

Brayshaw was huge when needed, May and Viney as well. Tough and hard.

I like the way they help the opposition up off the deck when needed, then drive them into it when needed, like Zac Jones. We got the better Jones!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

7 minutes ago, Smokey said:

I just love how little stress I feel watching footy these days. I expected us to do that today. My MFCSS is a thing of the past.

MFCSS is like herpes.

Stays in the body waiting for the chance to flare.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 18
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vomit 1

11 minutes ago, Smokey said:

Tell me about it.

When they got to within 22 with 8 minutes to go, I’d have being pooing a brick in years gone by. 

This time my feeling was that even if they jag another to get within 16, it’ll take a good 2 to 3 minutes for that to happen.

Teams just don’t pile on goals against us in short bursts of time. The last team to do it to us was Geelong in round 23 last year,  and it’s not like it mattered much in the end they had.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

32 minutes ago, BDA said:

Played a fantastic first quarter and a half but credit to St Kilda they didn’t drop their heads and came back at us hard

System and defensive structures neigh on impregnable

Quiet today but 15 straight for Bowsey is a record. Well done son

8-0 and travelling nicely

Go Dees

Three clangers notwithstanding.

• Like 1