CHANGES: Rd 04 vs Port Adelaide

Demonland

Jacob Van Rooyen was pictured as training in today's main training session.

I thought initially he missed the VFL due to health and safety protocols but seems like he wasn't.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Doug Reemer said:

If Ben Brown doesnt make the protocol cut off, I'd be bringing in Mitch Brown!

I wouldn't be rushing in Lever to play against a bottom 4 team (chuckles intensify).

Hunt has to be the next man out. Hopefully its a dry night on thursday and he can find his form from last year. But he is struggling abit this year.

Given Mitch was flattened behind the play by an Essendon Player and didn't play the final three quarters of th3e Casey match it is highly unlikely he will come in. Not sure what his injury is - read somewhere the Essecscum player got subbed out immediately after the event. I'm assuming it is concussion, but I don't know!

26 minutes ago, adonski said:

I think it's important to remember our first choice fwds at the start of 2021, were Brown & Weid prior to injury

I'm not sure how important this is any more.

At that time we were training TMac to play on a wing.

After what happened with Brown/Weideman, TMac was moved back into a key forward role and, aside from Round 1 this year, that's all he's done since then.

• Like 2

Sadly last time we played Port, Tmac had a great night.

So happy to see Sam come good and desperately want Bbb back but I just can't forget how much Tmac did for us last year and I dont believe we would have flag without him.

Cant we rotate him off the bench or is that too many talls?

• Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 2

14 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Sadly last time we played Port, Tmac had a great night.

So happy to see Sam come good and desperately want Bbb back but I just can't forget how much Tmac did for us last year and I dont believe we would have flag without him.

Cant we rotate him off the bench or is that too many talls?

Hmmm.  I thought he had a couple of good games during 2021 but just an average finals series...

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Hmmm.  I thought his had a couple of good games during 2021 but just an average finals series...

Not just finals but average few weeks leading into finals.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Hmmm.  I thought he had a couple of good games during 2021 but just an average finals series...

His first half of the season was fantastic.

Lead Fritta by a long way but dropped off.

Came back and started in Port game but back down again.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Not just finals but average few weeks leading into finals.

Agreed.  He wasn't the same after he had a few games out in early August for back problems. 

And his 2022 games so far haven't been noteworthy.  I wonder if the back is a recurring problem and inhibits his ability to jump for marks or to spoil. 

A good time for Weideman to make his mark.

• Like 1

Anyone know how Trac pulled up?  he was clearly hampered early in the game on friday.  6 day break...  I wonder if they are considering giving him a breather to get his body right?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Anyone know how Trac pulled up?  he was clearly hampered early in the game on friday.  6 day break...  I wonder if they are considering giving him a breather to get his body right?

Goodwin said in his presser that Trac is fine and will train as per normal

How 'fine' he is, is debateable but seems like he'll be good to go for this week anyways

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

As an aside, it is good they now have some mics in the audience to hear the questions (the audio quality could be better).

Hear hear (or is it Here Here).  Noticed that for the post match interviews too. God knows why it took them so long to make these interviews intelligible, but grateful they've done it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, adonski said:

Goodwin said in his presser that Trac is fine and will train as per normal

How 'fine' he is, is debateable but seems like he'll be good to go for this week anyways

thanks Mate, good to know.  unless he is playing silly buggers, it sounds good

8 minutes ago, Garbo said:

Thank you for your service Tomlinson and Smith but time time for the a team to come back over the next fortnight 

I think you are being premature writing of Smith, he has been fantastic and better than Tomlinson. If anyone is under the pump it will be T.Mac who if as expected BBB Comes back could well be out vs Port, as Weeds did all that was asked of him.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Garbo said:

Thank you for your service Tomlinson and Smith but time time for the a team to come back over the next fortnight 

I'd have Smith over Hibberd. I think he's an ideal replacement for him in the long term.

That leaves the issue of Hunt. Salem is his obvious replacement, but that won't be for 6-8 weeks.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Agreed.  He wasn't the same after he had a few games out in early August for back problems. 

And his 2022 games so far haven't been noteworthy.  I wonder if the back is a recurring problem and inhibits his ability to jump for marks or to spoil. 

A good time for Weideman to make his mark.

To me he looks heavy again like he did back in 2020. Slow and struggles to turn again.

He's not covering the ground like he was early parts of last year.

I was surprised we signed him for an extra 2 years.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

To me he looks heavy again like he did back in 2020. Slow and struggles to turn again.

He's not covering the ground like he was early parts of last year.

I was surprised we signed him for an extra 2 years.

The extra 2 years were to smooth his contact out, and worst case, he becomes a very handy backup back or forward as he ages and others come on.

Its quite normal for teams to have one or two bigs missing through injury at any time. Serms like he will be the one to miss this week though

Edited by Demons1858
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mauriesy said:

I'd have Smith over Hibberd. I think he's an ideal replacement for him in the long term.

That leaves the issue of Hunt. Salem is his obvious replacement, but that won't be for 6-8 weeks.

While not exactly the same type as Hibberd, Smith, who is playing well atm, is 6 years younger and 5 cms taller, with a bigger leap, is a better mark and probably just as quick.So do you keep putting the games into Smith, or bring Hibberd back. I would stick with Smith.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Redleg said:

While not exactly the same type as Hibberd, Smith, who is playing well atm, is 6 years younger and 5 cms taller, with a bigger leap, is a better mark and probably just as quick.So do you keep putting the games into Smith, or bring Hibberd back. I would stick with Smith.

Agreed, although I think Smith is considerably faster than Hibberd. 

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Hmmm.  I thought he had a couple of good games during 2021 but just an average finals series no...

Much more than a  couple of good games in 2021 He kicked 2 and 3 goals multiple times.

Tmac lost his form  a bit  and  yes injury upset his form  before Finals  where he was the team man and hard worker for the  Forward line.

Has started slowly and may have to make way for Weid who  has clearly hit form if BBB and Lever return. 

Interesting selection issues ahead for Simon and Co. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Garbo said:

If Joel Smith continues to play well he's going nowhere if you ask me 

• Like 4

I think it depends how we want to set up if we drop Hunt or Tomlinson for Lever.

Port's smaller forwardline means Hunt is probably more likely to stay and Tommo misses out. 
Or we may choose to not drop a defender, but actually push Gus back to the wing and make JJ sub. 

However given the form Gus has been in down back, I think we won't take him out of there until both Lever and Petty are back and up to game speed. Thank goodness Petty is back in the VFL this week. He has been sorely missed, as has Jake. 

As for Ben Brown, unless he actually gets Covid, I can't see him missing out. Many players have missed a week of training and then went on to play. He is far too good to leave out if he's fit. We really missed his marking ability on the weekend, not to mention his goal kicking skills.

I may not rate Port, but they are still a good team, they will have loads of pressure on them to win this week, and the home ground advantage. Can't take them too lightly. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pates said:

Chandler for Bedford as the sub. Give Bedford some match practice, Chandler deserves a chance (even if it’s medisub). 

Bedford still gets match practice even if he's a non-playing medisub. The only time this is an issue is if Casey is playing before or at the same time as Melbourne in any given week. This won't be an issue this week as Melbourne plays Thursday night, Casey plays Saturday night. Bedford was the unused medisub at AFL level the last 2 weeks and played for Casey both weeks.

7 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I think it depends how we want to set up if we drop Hunt or Tomlinson for Lever.

Port's smaller forwardline means Hunt is probably more likely to stay and Tommo misses out. 
Or we may choose to not drop a defender, but actually push Gus back to the wing and make JJ sub. 

However given the form Gus has been in down back, I think we won't take him out of there until both Lever and Petty are back and up to game speed. Thank goodness Petty is back in the VFL this week. He has been sorely missed, as has Jake. 

As for Ben Brown, unless he actually gets Covid, I can't see him missing out. Many players have missed a week of training and then went on to play. He is far too good to leave out if he's fit. We really missed his marking ability on the weekend, not to mention his goal kicking skills.

I may not rate Port, but they are still a good team, they will have loads of pressure on them to win this week, and the home ground advantage. Can't take them too lightly. 

Agree it will be horses for courses. Depends whether Robbie Gray and/or Charlie Dixon play. If Dixon plays Tomlinson will probably stay in and possibly Hunt goes out (unless Gus is moved back to the wing when as you say JJ might be pushed back to medisub). If Dixon is out then line ball whether they exclude Tommo or Hunt. Might keep Hunt in if Robbie Gray is back.

My understanding is BBB was a close contact, not actual contracting COVID, which means he would have been exercising on a specific club-designed program since Thursday so I agree he is likely to come in. Missing a week's training is not crucial. TMac to go out. Other's have suggested he be made medisub because he can play forward or back, but I think it makes a lot more sense to pick a mobile medium or small as medisub (Chandler, Bedford or JJ). 

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

He'll play even if 70% fit. We can't afford to be clever with selections against a desperate Port side. There's a 9-day break after this match so he can rest then.