CHANGES: Rd 03 vs Essendon

WERRIDEE

4 minutes ago, Billy said:

So what, Hunt was so bad last night, I’d replace him with anyone who wants a game

And Fritsch was worse, should Dunstan play full forward too?

Hunt wasn’t good but he was part of a defensive unit that gave up 10 goals from 60 inside 50’s including only 4 goals after half time.

Unless we have a defender to replace him with I can’t see him going anywhere. Particularly not replaced by a one paced midfielder who got chopped from the Saints 

• Like 8

If Weideman has a really good game today then Tmac's position must come under serious consideration right?

Even if Hibberd is fit, they won't bring him straight back in after missing 4 weeks of no match play. He'll need a full game in the VFL to see if his calf can get through before he is considered in the AFL.

If there is one player I'll be keeping a close eye on today at Casey it's Deakyn Smith. Speedy half back who's got good poise and skill.

He's the one I want putting pressure on Jayden Hunt.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Going back to last year Tom's now up to about 8 ordinary games in a row. 

I wish we had a decent medium sized forward to provide extra pressure and some marking, but given we don't should we just give Bedford a run in the starting line up and maybe use Tom as sub.

What type of player are you thinking? A Stringer/Membrey type 190cm?

Isn't Fritsch our medium/tall crafty match winner?

• Like 1

Even with all our injuries the current backline has only given up 21 goals across 2 games….can’t see too many changes no point risking players who are doubtful when the existing team is getting the job done

Edited by sisso
  • Like 2

I would like to see a positional change for Bowey.

Langdon hasn't played to his normal level lately which is probably because Salem isn't there.  They are a wonderful link-up combo. 

Bowey played an excellent and attacking game so I would like him to play on Langdon's ie the attacking, side of the ground rather than the defensive side.   Bowey has the vision, ability to stop and prop and the kicking skills we need on the attacking side.  On the attacking side he would be in a better position to take May's kick ins as Salem normally does. 

We are missing Salem and while Rivers was the person to replace him no-one has really stepped into his role.  The closest we can do imv is to put Bowey on Salem's side of the ground.  That would enable Langdon to get back to his best.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KingDingAling said:

IN: Dunstan, Hibberd, Chandler 

OUT: Sparrow, Hunt, Spargo

When was the last time Goodwin made 3 unforced changes? 
Also Spargo getting dropped? Absolute LOLs

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

56 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

In - straight kicking

we went from 10-1 to 12-10 

what are everyone’s thoughts on Harmes

Harmes was solid. I think Harmes, along with Sparrow and Jordan, were all significantly cleaner and better than the second tier GC mids.

• Like 1

I am very keen to see how Deakyn Smith develops, as I can see him as a Salem type off half back. Of course he needs improvement and consistency, but I think he is a chance for an unheralded player. 

Cox and Merrett finished on crutches yesterday.  Merrett's injury reported as 'minor, at this stage'. 

For us, Rivers' heavily bandaged leg at the start of the game didn't bode well.  He looked very proppy late in the game.  Hope Gus' shoulder is ok.  He looked a bit shell-shocked (pain, not concussion) when he came on to replace Rivers and even forgot his helmet. 

Out: Hunt

In: Hibberd

I’ll be really surprised if they pull any levers on the talls (TMac). I don’t think you can make decisions for talls based on a game that really didn’t suit aerial contests and I think Goody largely errs on the side if “if in doubt, leave it alone”, especially when we’re winning.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Cox and Merrett finished on crutches yesterday.  Merrett's injury reported as 'minor, at this stage'. 

For us, Rivers' heavily bandaged leg at the start of the game didn't bode well.  He looked very proppy late in the game.  Hope Gus' shoulder is ok.  He looked a bit shell-shocked (pain, not concussion) when he came on to replace Rivers and even forgot his helmet. 

I don’t think he forgot his helmet, seemed more to me that he’d cast it aside and didn’t have time to get it, because Rivers came straight off. I’d say his return to the ground was very hastily arranged (“quick, get back on now”) given he’d only been off for about half a second himself.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BAMF said:

What type of player are you thinking? A Stringer/Membrey type 190cm?

Isn't Fritsch our medium/tall crafty match winner?

Melk 2018? Membrey would be ideal, as would Will Hayward or another mid who can be genuinely dangerous forward. Honestly I’d take my chances with Mason Wood or Jake Waterman. Or even another Harmes or Sparrow who’s big and strong enough to provide some aerial contested work and has speed to pressure. 

With 2 rucks, Brown and Fritter it makes Tom a luxury. And when he’s on it’s a great luxury, but he’s now played a string of ordinary games as a forward really from about 2/3rds through of last year. 

And Tom’s always been a confidence player. I’d give him a reset week as the sub and a little rest of the body rather that continue with the ordinary results. 

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I would like to see a positional change for Bowey.

Langdon hasn't played to his normal level lately which is probably because Salem isn't there.  They are a wonderful link-up combo. 

Bowey played an excellent and attacking game so I would like him to play on Langdon's ie the attacking, side of the ground rather than the defensive side.   Bowey has the vision, ability to stop and prop and the kicking skills we need on the attacking side.  On the attacking side he would be in a better position to take May's kick ins as Salem normally does. 

We are missing Salem and while Rivers was the person to replace him no-one has really stepped into his role.  The closest we can do imv is to put Bowey on Salem's side of the ground.  That would enable Langdon to get back to his best.

There’s no such thing as attacking and defensive sides of the ground, and Salem certainly doesn’t play on one or the other. Salem plays as the highest defender and depending on what his opponent does is often loose off the back of the stoppage. But he has no control which side of the ground the stoppage is or that the play comes from.

If Salem goes to his left more it’s because he’s a left footer. But the very next quarter they’ve changed ends and Langdon is on Salem’s right.

The suns played a great zone on their home ground on a slippery night and used very good wingers on Eddie. We didn’t get our usual bounce out of the backline due to inconsistent midfield pressure, good suns forwards pressure and a depleted backline.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

There’s no such thing as attacking and defensive sides of the ground, and Salem certainly doesn’t play on one or the other. Salem plays as the highest defender and depending on what his opponent does is often loose off the back of the stoppage. But he has no control which side of the ground the stoppage is or that the play comes from.

If Salem goes to his left more it’s because he’s a left footer. But the very next quarter they’ve changed ends and Langdon is on Salem’s right.

The suns played a great zone on their home ground on a slippery night and used very good wingers on Eddie. We didn’t get our usual bounce out of the backline due to inconsistent midfield pressure, good suns forwards pressure and a depleted backline.

Can't agree with the first line.

It isn't because Salem is left footed.  When the team changes ends the whole team changes 'side' but the formation stays the same.

• Like 1

One thing which was really obvious was the aerial contest - it seemed like whenever we kicked to a contest (Max, a lot)), they punched back in the direction where the kick came from and they had multiple players at the drop to extract and clear 

Not sure if just something from the night but happened a bit

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Demondan75 said:

Hunt really struggled tonight, and I reckon it's time to bring the Weid in for T-mac.

As long as the backs are unsettled ( no Salem or Lever) TMac stays.

But he looks to be on his last legs ( actually it's written on his face)

But Weideman? It's not April first yet!!

You can't be serious, he leads well and kicks it ok as well but you have to catch the ball ;it's part of being a forward. His body on body work in a pack makes Wattsy look like a brute and if someone is even looking at him he gets the fumbles

Edited by IRW
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, IRW said:

But Weideman? It's not April first yet!!

It actually is April first (next Friday night). 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Ins and outs will largely depend on the fitness of Hibbo and Lever and if there are any standouts out of todays Casey game.

Bedford seems first cab off the rank for the smalls.

Hunt most likely out