2022 Free Kick Differential

Demonland

Richmond give away silly free kicks that we don’t and like to rough sides up a bit which is costly. We are a much more disciplined team and got the benefit of the doubt on several occasions. Maybe just maybe the wheel is turning for us.!!!

• Like 2

On 4/21/2022 at 11:24 AM, roy11 said:

Cody Weightman on SEN this morning

"I'm very comfortable to continue doing what I'm doing, and I don't think it's going to affect my game. "I think I do have the ability to draw free kicks, and I think that's a skill set rather than a flop or whatever you call that."

Wonder how that's going to work out for him

That has to be some kind of admission of guilt from Weightman?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

That has to be some kind of admission of guilt from Weightman?

Umpires might be now taking note. No frees for him this round. In one instance in one of his well honed signature moves he was tackled from behind, flopped knees first forward, Adelaide player fell hard on his back and no free paid. Commentators were aghast why no free paid to wonder flopster. Not a good move telling the world he’s playing umpires for suckers.

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, John Crow Batty said:

Umpires might be now taking note. No frees for him this round. In one instance in one of his well honed signature moves he was tackled from behind, flopped knees first forward, Adelaide player fell hard on his back and no free paid. Commentators were aghast why no free paid to wonder flopster. Not a good move telling the world he’s playing umpires for suckers.

Exactly. Personally, if i made a habit conning the umpires, I would simply not go on a media program talking about how I con umpires

• Like 5
  • Thinking 1

We can only hope that the the AFL finally start to realise that this issue (playing for free kicks) is unique to the Bulldogs (as well as a fair smattering of individual players across the league, including Weightman)

But will they (the AFL) address this issue wholly?  They might, but I wouldn't bank on it

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

I have copies of rules from different eras. They're hard to find. I got the really old ones from state libraries.

In the modern era I have rules for every year from 2015 on. Often they are not on the AFL web site. Nearly always I get them from regional comps such as the QAFL or from umpires web sites.

Strangely enough, the "amendments" part IS from the AFL web site. Normally allergic to publishing anything about the rules -- and they let it go out of date when they do -- they have a page summarising the rule changes over the ages, without publishing the rules themselves. They really don't care.

Well done, thanks for that

• Like 2

Someone needs to tell Daicos not to hang on to the ball until his brother can receive it. They won't keep getting free kicks indefinitely.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mauriesy said:

So the current AFL ladder leaders (Melbourne, Fremantle, Brisbane, Sydney, St Kilda and Geelong) are not at the top of this ladder.

What does that tell us about the value of winning the free kick count?

And what does it tell us about the often quoted theory that the successful  clubs which get to the ball first get first get the frees.  Not much in either case I suspect.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, sue said:

And what does it tell us about the often quoted theory that the successful  clubs which get to the ball first get first get the frees.  Not much in either case I suspect.

As a general rule those who play in front have a much better chance of winning a free kick ... anyone who has ever played the sport will know that to be true.  It's very difficult to win a free kick playing from behind

An example of that is the Weideman free kick on Sunday ... questionable but he was playing in front.  He doesn't get that free if he is caught playing from behind.  Did the team thing and got rewarded

But as for the winning & the losing, there are numerous other factors including the biggie ... talent levels across the team (and good coaching) 

An example of that is Melbourne vs Essendon in 2013 ... we could have won the free kick count by 20 or more that day and we still would have been smashed

So a free kick is a factor but it's often a small factor ... for instance, the Tigers were happy to give away professional-like free kicks in their 3 premiership years. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Macca said:

As a general rule those who play in front have a much better chance of winning a free kick ... anyone who has ever played the sport will know that to be true.  It's very difficult to win a free kick playing from behind

An example of that is the Weideman free kick on Sunday ... questionable but he was playing in front.  He doesn't get that free if he is caught playing from behind.  Did the team thing and got rewarded

But as for the winning & the losing, there are numerous other factors including the biggie ... talent levels across the team (and good coaching) 

An example of that is Melbourne vs Essendon in 2013 ... we could have won the free kick count by 20 or more that day and we still would have been smashed

So a free kick is a factor but it's often a small factor ... for instance, the Tigers were happy to give away professional-like free kicks in their 3 premiership years. 

All that may well be true, but as per my post, I don't think the current 'ladder' tells us much about it.  In fact, they point the other way, so we seem to be in furious agreement.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sue said:

All that may well be true, but as per my post, I don't think the current 'ladder' tells us much about it.  In fact, they point the other way, so we seem to be in furious agreement.

So what is it going to take for more people to take up the stance that you, mauresy, myself and a few others have taken up?

Or are we pushing the proverbial uphill?

Weightman got only one free after none last week.

He may rue the day when he said drawing frees was 'a skill'.  It translates as conning the umps! 

The umps are now watching.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

I have posted about this issue before but it seems that nothing will ever change.

A differential of 94 frees between the two outlier clubs is concerning, more so because their numbers are twice that of the nearest clubs. Seven extra frees per game for the doggies and 6 fewer frees for the toiges is disturbing. What if it was us on the losing end?

There has been some statistical analysis of the numbers showing that they are not as outrageous as they look but our great game does not readily withstand such extreme variations that clearly fail the pub/BBQ test.

The AFL should/must investigate or the credibility of the umpiring will be lost.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tiers said:

I have posted about this issue before but it seems that nothing will ever change.

A differential of 94 frees between the two outlier clubs is concerning, more so because their numbers are twice that of the nearest clubs. Seven extra frees per game for the doggies and 6 fewer frees for the toiges is disturbing. What if it was us on the losing end?

There has been some statistical analysis of the numbers showing that they are not as outrageous as they look but our great game does not readily withstand such extreme variations that clearly fail the pub/BBQ test.

The AFL should/must investigate or the credibility of the umpiring will be lost.

Given the Bulldogs and the Tigers were the substantial outliers last season as well, I'm of the belief that it is the way each plays, not the way the umpires do their job, that produces this result. Whether it's deliberate by the Bulldogs to play in a way which attracts free kicks or not, I'm not fussed.  

• Like 2

Reckon we have had a pretty good run over the last few weeks.

Is this another perk for being a good team?

we really are in a parallel universe 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2