GAMEDAY: Community Series vs Carlton

Demonland

2 minutes ago, frankie_d said:

If this was a home-and-away match, it would be a very good test of our "system-based" approach - @binmanhas had a couple of great posts which point to that being a key to our success. We had a good system, had complete buy-in, and had the cattle to execute.

I wonder if the backline will have the cattle to execute. Who cover's Salem's judgement and disposal (which won us the first quater of the GF, I reckon)? Hunt/Rivers I get, but I reckon Rivers was more damaging, and better defensively. I guess Tomlinson does the May thing on the gorillas. Smith/Hibberd - OK.

Going to be interesting. If we thrash them, I will be a) surprised (57 years MFCSS sufferer) and b) quite optimistic coming into 2022.

Go Dees.

Nothing will test our 'whole team defence' system like having most of our starting defensive lineup out of the side.

If we are as good as we think we are defensively, we should be able to cover injuries as the idea is that the system works no matter who is in the side. But of course we know that is not true, and you can't replace A grade players like May or Salem with kids or C grade players and expect the same outcome.

Still against Carlton I expect our midfield to be too strong (they are missing Walsh after all) and our forwards to cause them a real headache. If we can dominate the middle the backline will have more time to set up and be less under pressure. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

It's only a practice match, but we need all aspects of our winning machine functioning smoothly.

Hence I bring you a practice version of "What they're saying down at ... ". (Lifted from real things they're saying on the bigfooty Carlton forum.)

Playing the best side is going to really let us know where we are and test our defences.

Dees have been eating their Weetbix in the off-season. They'll come out to make a big statement in this game.

I can’t imagine this will be pretty if Melbourne go hard all day.

McDonald looks the goods. Only 26, played every game for a prelim final team. 196cm. Very handy pickup I don’t think we lose much from Jones

My view is that three blokes won the flag for Melbourne Gawn/Oliver and Pretacca in that order. Cerra and in due course Walsh can handle Vinny and whoever else they have tiptoeing around the midfield - and beat them . So lets see How well the Carlton big boys match up to their Melbourne counterparts - where it matters.

Good chance for Omac and Young to prove themselves against a very well structured forward line.

We're going in extremely weak against a Melbourne side with only 5 out of their Premiership squad missing. I'm predicting melts, cos this is gonna get ugly.

I think you overrate Melbourne and severely underrate us. We were 2 goals on average away from Melbourne the last 3 years. Their side hasn’t changed. And they’re without three of their starting defenders tomorrow

I'm not saying we can't win more just saying pressure will be the key thing I will look out for regardless of result. But not sure how we can overrate Melbourne. They were crazy impressive last year and they aren't really an old team. Gawn for me is the best player in the comp and Petracca, Oliver, May, Fritsch, Brown and Lever are elite+++ in their respective positions. Then they have incredible young talent like Jackson, Pickett, Rivers and co which will imo make sure they are a top team for many years to come

On paper, we actually match up relatively well against Melb. Clearly Melbourne had the best structure/system last year, and from last week’s viewing, we seem much better placed in that area under Voss. I’m still baffled how our last senior coach just couldn’t get his head around this.

So happy to be playing Melbourne tonight. They are the benchmark. A very well drilled side with talent on every line. I'm happy they touched up North last week as it shows they mean business. Going in without Walsh, Stocker, Charlie, Kemp, Weitering and Doc, so we are far from full strength.

The Dees were deserving winners last year, but Gawn aside, I really don't think they're that far ahead of us....

trac and Oliver better as a duo than Cripps and Walsh. personally I think terra is better than any of their other mids. Backline they get the chocolates cause of keys. our forward is more talented. Our system is what needs work. Also I think our half backs are more dangerous than theirs but as a unit they are such a well oiled machine

Here I thought this was a good comment from a "brown paper bag" supporter but then I got to the bold comment. Still laughing.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, frankie_d said:

Who cover's Salem's judgement and disposal (which won us the first quater of the GF, I reckon)? Hunt/Rivers I get, but I reckon Rivers was more damaging, and better defensively.  I guess Tomlinson does the May thing on the gorillas. Smith/Hibberd - OK.

Salem will probably only miss this one game.

I would tip Bowey to play Salem's role and Hunt🙂🙃 to get his job back.

• Like 2

Booked my ticket last night, but at the last minute decided not to go. 
I want to watch this team for the first time live in Round 1 with my family, and feel it will cheapen the experience just that little bit if I go tonight.

Not judging anyone who does choose to go tonight - we need representation there of course.
I'm a bit of a weird one though - I specifically chose NOT to touch the cup when I had a chance, even if it was right in front of me -- just because for me it didn't feel right.

• Like 2

Any online radio coverage of the game today?  Thanks for any help. I'm in Thailand and can't stream KAYO.

2 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Cerra or Walsh?  Laughable.

That poster should look at this:

CIAc5OmWIAAmOKB.jpg

or this

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2015/08/01/1227466/193257-0fed81ee-3823-11e5-9c70-bb8d701e73e2.jpg

or this

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/8-05-2015/KQptw2.gif

or this

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/657e21f9766e3a695b485170cb911cb3?width=650

or this

http://i.imgur.com/kUIOtfd.gif

Dammit, that poster can read the whole 'Jack made them cry' thread.  Jack takes on some of the biggest and toughest players in the game.

Cerra and Walsh have talent but have yet to show an ounce of aggro.

Jack will eat them for breakfast!!

Edit:  Sorry about the gif links.  Pics copied from the Jack thread but for some reason they appear as links instead.  Oh well, you all know how the story goes :laugh:

I can watch these GIF's for ages, I just love Jack so much.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ding said:

Any online radio coverage of the game today?  Thanks for any help. I'm in Thailand and can't stream KAYO.

Watch AFL service is excellent for overseas.  

• Thanks 1

B. Brown and TMac our goal scorers! 👍