Saturday Morning on Demonland (10)

Whispering_Jack

Before too long Christmas will be upon us and it will be three months to the day since our drought-breaking premiership win. 

Which brings up the question about how long can we celebrate the premiership and when is the right time to start focusing on the season ahead?

The players showed this week when they returned to the training track that they’re serious in moving forward. 

Are Demon fans ready for it yet or can we walk and chew gum at the same time? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Until were not the current premiers I say we celebrate . Thats why we bought the clothing hats  drink bottles etc to remind others  we are the current premiers . We waited 57 years , lets take enjoyment  for finally winning  particularly as we couldnt celebrate post grand. final .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, rpfc said:

My wife has told me to bring down the ‘PREMIERS 2021’ flag from the front of the house. 

I said to her ‘they haven’t even got a new premier yet?!!’

My lawyers will have a field day.

My neighbour told me it's time to take mine down, all the more reason to leave it there, she is just a busy body and doesn't like football. I will make one concession, I'll surround it with Christmas Decorations, to give it a festive look.

I'm going to go down to one viewing of the GF a week now, I can watch all the other games in between.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Haha 3

I've had to tell a lot of people the scarf hangs out the window until we are defeated. Is always been draped around the headrest on the seat.

The flag will stay on the gate post forever now. It was a new innovation and surprisingly had a few neighbours who were unaware I was a demon supporter.. However it does reinforce my fanaticism with those who know me well.

Its a hell but of a lot more pride now. Respect has been hard earned and it's a lot better than the sympathy that used to be invoked. I'm really looking forward to the continued expressions of confidence. Expecting to win and being competitive not just expected to lose. What do they say "Winners are grinners".  I find I am smiling a lot more. Thanks Dees.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Melbourne's GF win had echoes in Carlton's come from behind sensation in 1970. Yet in round 1 1971 Carlton were comfortably between by North, who would finish 9th that year. Come round 1 next year we need to leave the memories to YouTube, I'm sure we will. Still,  every time we kick a big goal, or series of goals I'm the crowd will remind the boys of last year's heroics. I'm looking forward to that.

• Like 2

My wife and I just watched the last 35 minutes  propped up in bed with a coffee and thoroughly enjoyed those 16 magnificent goals. We are getting a bit picky now Tracc, Gus and Max should have nailed their shots. Lol!!💕❤️💙

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Don't try to walk and chew gum at the same time! Carrying one in each hand provides for much better balance!😁

p.s. My house-front display came down earlier this week. For 9 months' gestation before they reappear...

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I think the reflection on the flag has been dragged out by circumstance.

Most years, you win a flag, supporters gather at a booze soaked function in the city (or elsewhere) and then meet up at their training facility for the cup presentation in the heartland. 2 to 3 weeks later,  it’s B&F time and that puts a full stop on the year.

We haven’t had our B&F yet giving us a chance to stretch things out. I hope this doesn’t drag out for too long. Memories of Collingwood in ‘90 come to mind. My feeling was the amount of booze they ingested was the main issue rather than merely recognizing the win and the word was some blokes were celebrating well into 1991, but it does show how the inability to move on can affect a season after a long premiership drought.

Just bought the DVD set so I'm not stopping any time soon. I'll never fully stop celebrating, but the rambunctious air will subside into quiet satisfaction after Melbourne's first loss of the year I think.

As a supporter, I don't need to focus on next year like the players do. So I won't. To me, every day is 10pm on Saturday 25th September 2021.

Edited by Chook
  • Like 5
  • Love 4

To be honest CBF the Pies had a number of Maverick’s in their side who partied long and hard. Our boys have come back in ripping Nick I know that doesn’t guarantee success but we start pre season fresh and our coaches won’t allow any big headedness within the group. I was also happy to see us training with footballs day one.!!!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Which brings up the question about how long can we celebrate the premiership and when is the right time to start focusing on the season ahead?

Let the players focus on the season ahead, us supporters should continue to celebrate for as long as we want (it won’t affect our on-field performances).

With that said, I’ll be celebrating until the day I die (then I’ll meet up with Jimmy and Robbie and we’ll kick on in the afterlife).

• Like 4
  • Love 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DeeZone said:

To be honest CBF the Pies had a number of Maverick’s in their side who partied long and hard. Our boys have come back in ripping Nick I know that doesn’t guarantee success but we start pre season fresh and our coaches won’t allow any big headedness within the group. I was also happy to see us training with footballs day one.!!!

That’s what I’m hoping for as well.

The no d-heads policy introduced in Roosy’s days has helped.

I think 1991 was also the year Banksy and Mick McGuane hijacked the bus at the golf resort wasn’t it? So you are right they also had a few louts in the team.

I haven’t stopped celebrating. Not planning on stopping anytime soon, either. This premiership has brought me endless joy. Seriously, I’m as delighted now as I was on that beautiful last Saturday in September. ❤️💙

• Like 3
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

That’s what I’m hoping for as well.

The no d-heads policy introduced in Roosy’s days has helped.

I think 1991 was also the year Banksy and Mick McGuane hijacked the bus at the golf resort wasn’t it? So you are right they also had a few louts in the team.

And after the last one the Pies realised the players were running the club;  they had a culture problem.  I don't think we do.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Got a Dees premiership footy signed by Trac this morning. He’s a legend on the field and off the field!

Can’t post photo from my phone as apparently file size is too big :( 

Email it to yourself as a small or med size and save  it to attach

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll celebrate until the Packers win the Superbowl in February then I'll celebrate that until Scotland quality for the World Cup in March and I'll celebrate that until Rangers win the league in May and I'll celebrate that until we win the flag again in September. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

My circumstances are slightly different being in FNQ, no family and friends to celebrate with so it has all been online.  Having the celebration at the G was some closure I must admit....

That said though we will be at a family celebration in Melbourne soon, everyone is a Dees supporter so it will be fantastic.  Let it rip.  That will be my last celebration but I am still going to enjoy it.

Not sure how you focus on next season yet especially at this time of year.  There is hardly any football news.

What are you supposed to do:  watch repeats of our defeat by the Pies to get in the mood?

• Like 2