Farewell Luke Jackson

Lucifers Hero

26 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Believe we tried both Mitch Lewis and Ben King. Both were long shots and extended at their current clubs.

This is half the reason I want us to recruit Cadman at the end of the year. Gun key forwards are exceptionally rare and difficult to obtain. We haven't had a proper one since Neitz and have had to do with average NQRs since. 15 years of having the likes of Michael Newton, Jack Watts, Chris Dawes, Mitch Clarke, Ben Brown, Tom McDonald (the best and worst of him) and Weideman "spearheading" our forward line.

Now Taylor will have more of an idea of Cadman is the quality I hope him to be, and JvR shows promise who will need a partner in crime, but unless we're exceptionally lucky we will have to draft and grow our own.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

People always say “why don’t they come out and tell us” 

The reactions of people on here is why. 

Id be happy to know he was leaving at seasons end, he is a professional who would do his best to help us win the flag this year. 
I don’t boo players, the club will dump them just as quickly. Yes it will suck when he leaves but I’ll just keep following the team.

This ☝

Further, I think the club already knows whether or not Dogga and Gus are going, or at least have a verbal agreement with them both to go down one path or the other. May not know for sure which clubs are involved, but Taylor, Lamb and Goody will be all over every possible scenario 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Stiff Arm said:

This ☝

Further, I think the club already knows whether or not Dogga and Gus are going, or at least have a verbal agreement with them both to go down one path or the other. May not know for sure which clubs are involved, but Taylor, Lamb and Goody will be all over every possible scenario 

Yeah you would think they know to a certain extent. Negotiate enough contracts and they would know the signs. 
Gus would be different as he is a RFA. So he has different options but so do the club.

2 hours ago, Dwight Schrute said:

You’ve gotta wonder what Sean Darcy is thinking. His “backup” coming in on a long term, high wage contract. I wouldn’t be surprised if Sean Darcy was a quietly pretty miffed 

Be funny if they lost Darcy to us after all this. :P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nascent said:

This is half the reason I want us to recruit Cadman at the end of the year. Gun key forwards are exceptionally rare and difficult to obtain. We haven't had a proper one since Neitz and have had to do with average NQRs since. 15 years of having the likes of Michael Newton, Jack Watts, Chris Dawes, Mitch Clarke, Ben Brown, Tom McDonald (the best and worst of him) and Weideman "spearheading" our forward line.

Now Taylor will have more of an idea of Cadman is the quality I hope him to be, and JvR shows promise who will need a partner in crime, but unless we're exceptionally lucky we will have to draft and grow our own.

BBB and Tmac helped us to a flag. I rate them as a success. Results count and can’t get better than that. Many of the best key forwards in the game including Neitz never did that. Prize key forwards are not the be all and end all. 

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Here we go.

What a bunch of nonsense. Unless they’ve changed the rules and I wasn’t aware, but do they now have a June trade period for us to bring in a key forward?

No one has absolutely any idea who is actually on the market. Was Steven May coming to us 6 months out? Ben Brown? Lever?

There are players out there who want different things. They might not even know they want them yet. Let’s just have some faith that our club is run by professionals, and that from the outside looking in as a player you’d be pretty keen to play for the reigning premiers. We will do ok. We turned a terrible 2019 into Jackson and the bloke who single handedly won us the game last week. The last 5 years of player management at our club says we win a lot more than we lose.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

No one has absolutely any idea who is actually on the market. Was Steven May coming to us 6 months out? Ben Brown? Lever?

Can tell you for a fact Lever was all but locked into a trade to the Dees by halfway through the season.

Unless you truly believe we don't talk to anyone until 9am at the beginning of the trade period?

• Like 7

The question was asked earlier about the salary cap and Gus & Dogga. I would remind everyone before it looked like Dogga is gone the thought was we would have to offload Harmes. It would be ridiculous to sell the house to retain Dogga and far better to keep Angus and Harmes.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Can tell you for a fact Lever was all but locked into a trade to the Dees by halfway through the season.

Unless you truly believe we don't talk to anyone until 9am at the beginning of the trade period?

All but locked in is very different to having a contract. That’s actually my point. New opportunities will present themselves.

And I don’t get your second point? I never said people weren’t talking, but everyone talks - that’s why LinkedIn exists. I was suggesting that how players feel now and by the end of September are very different things - and that’d we’d do ok out of it because we are well run.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

All but locked in is very different to having a contract. That’s actually my point. New opportunities will present themselves.

And I don’t get your second point? I never said people weren’t talking, but everyone talks - that’s why LinkedIn exists. I was suggesting that how players feel now and by the end of September are very different things - and that’d we’d do ok out of it because we are well run.

Of course no one can sign a contract with an opposition team during the season, but players can absolutely tell other clubs they're not interested or re-sign with their current team which means MFC 'tried and failed' to lure them across.

Agree we're well run now and should be able to turn losing Jackson into a good outcome.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Of course no one can sign a contract with an opposition team during the season, but players can absolutely tell other clubs they're not interested or re-sign with their current team which means MFC 'tried and failed' to lure them across.

Agree we're well run now and should be able to turn losing Jackson into a good outcome.

If we negotiate well, we could turn it into 2 or 3 good outcomes.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

10 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

It won't be a good outcome if Jackson leaves. At best, if we play it right, it will be a less bad one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

It won't be a good outcome if Jackson leaves. At best, if we play it right, it will be a less bad one.

My preference would definitely be for Jackson to stay, but think we've all resigned us to him leaving now so it's all about the swings and roundabouts of how it works out.

We've turned players requesting a trade/departure into wins before - notably Hogan & Frawley, which ended up contributing to us winning a flag. Just have to see how it plays out I guess.

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

Sidebar:

With all the mentions in trading threads of "steak knives", I wonder if younger posters have any idea what that unusual phrase is actually all about.

I admit to not watching much TV these days, but surely it's been many a long year since we had ads like that?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Tex? Ben King who signed he's contract extension earlier on the year perhaps.

My guess is Mitch Georgiades, we wanted him in his draft year he just went slightly to early 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

Believe we tried both Mitch Lewis and Ben King. Both were long shots and extended at their current clubs.

Mitch Lewis sounds plausible, but Ben King would have been well out of our salary cap range. I firmly believe that the club wasn't aware of Jackson's movements until around the time that Clarry signed his big extension. Goody's language changed from "confident Jacko will stay" to "hopeful that Jacko will stay". We couldn't afford Jacko and Ben King.

6 hours ago, Redleg said:

As I have said, Essendon has several young talls and they are apparently into Bedford.

Cox, Jones, Bryan, Baldwin, Reid, Eyre, Voss, Brand, Mc Bride are all not going to be in their 22.

With 2 metre Peter down forward, they can't go too tall.

Hope we are looking at this list.

While not all are key forwards, it would allow us to add depth to key stocks and more options in different positions.

Aside from Jones, none of the others are any good (including Cox). I would prefer LJ to stay but I see we are losing a second ruck who does not kick goals or take marks often when forward. I will back us in to maximise the picks, players and salary relief this offers to continue to improve our list. A young key forward should be at the top of it but you can only work with what’s available. A maturing ruckman with upside (Meek is a one worth considering) is also something that should be part of the planning. 

Edited by Lil_red_fire_engine
  • Like 2

My thoughts are that if he is going its the eagles

- With Nic nat and Kennedy nearing the end its what they need and can afford a huge contract 

They also have the pick to give us at 1 or 2 

2 hours ago, Demonstone said:

Sidebar:

With all the mentions in trading threads of "steak knives", I wonder if younger posters have any idea what that unusual phrase is actually all about.

I admit to not watching much TV these days, but surely it's been many a long year since we had ads like that?

Wait.. there's more !!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Demonstone said:

Sidebar:

Those ads are long gone. But speaking of, someone on here has actually started to refer to Lloyd Meek as “steak knives Meek” which sounds like a character from a 1930s gangster movie. 😎
When Chris Judd moved from WCE to Carlton would Josh Kennedy have been considered steak knives? If so, a not-too-shabby bonus thrown in. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, CityDee said:

My thoughts are that if he is going its the eagles

- With Nic nat and Kennedy nearing the end its what they need and can afford a huge contract 

They also have the pick to give us at 1 or 2 

Eagles have to use their first draft pick this year under the AFL rules - so if they wanted LJ they’d have to get AFL approval. It’s not impossible, but I can’t see HQ loving it.

• Like 1